Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #4,621 of 8,735
Quote:
If I had a tube with bad micro-phonics I could tell you better.
Everything sounds crystal clear now.
So if ya have the cash and you want to light a match to it...
Go for it !
I find them aesthetically pleasing.  (Rationalizing)

I believe I have noticed a change by using a Furman AC215A power conditioner.
I found it new on Amazon for $111 that's an $80 discount.

I might just go ahead and order some after Christmas. I have the Herbie's Tenderfoot feet under the Lyr right now and a set of Herbie's SuperSonic Stabilizers on top of Lyr. I might as well complete the set. 
biggrin.gif
  I got the National / Matsu 6922's and the socket savers yesterday from Tubemonger, so I have the height clearance to make the dampers fit. I noticed my Lyr runs a lot cooler with the socket savers in place. That alone made the upgrade worth the trip.  The Matsu 6922 tubes are pretty good too.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #4,622 of 8,735
Quote:
I might just go ahead and order some after Christmas. I have the Herbie's Tenderfoot feet under the Lyr right now and a set of Herbie's SuperSonic Stabilizers on top of Lyr. I might as well complete the set. 
biggrin.gif
  I got the National / Matsu 6922's and the socket savers yesterday from Tubemonger, so I have the height clearance to make the dampers fit. I noticed my Lyr runs a lot cooler with the socket savers in place. That alone made the upgrade worth the trip.  The Matsu 6922 tubes are pretty good too.

I love my tube extenders 
smile.gif

Besides better cooling there is a lot less stress put on the tube when you extract them.
Even installing the tube...
Instead of dinging the side of the tube when you are lining it up, the extender is the thing getting taped against the access hole.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #4,623 of 8,735
Quote:
^^ Nice!! Please post back...very interesting. 

Okie dokie,

I got the stuff from McMaster today for tube storage.
The little plastic caps are a no-go.  Too small.

The foam grip looks great, except it's just a tad too tight.
It would work fine, but I don't want to mung up the label.

So I'm returning everything and getting the 1"OD foam grip stuff
the wall on the 1" is thinner than the 7/8"    

That said.
 The little white boxes are probably best.
You can write on them and It's what the mfg's used to package the tubes when new.
You can't argue with that.

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #4,624 of 8,735
^^ +1 Yeah, tubes are just too expensive and difficult to acquire. Once you get the good ones you want to protect them and the tube savers are a great way to do that. 

I have an extra single that someone could have. You'd just have to buy an extra from the tubemonger site. Consider it half price. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,627 of 8,735
Quote:
Just slightly recessed from the top.

Perfect..
That a nice offer, but I'd be paying postage twice...
There are some "blemished" units available.
Who cares, they're under the hood.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #4,629 of 8,735
Quote:
I stored mine in their original boxes in a tupperware container.  If the tubes didn't come with boxes, I used these:

http://tubedepot.com/box-001.html

20 boxes for $3.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

This is indeed the ticket.... KISS
They work perfect with my OtterBox case.
Ordered,
Thanks

Dec 14, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #4,630 of 8,735
I plagerized the composition of the image below from "Lyrill" in the "Schiit Owners Unite" thread.

It was cool so I took a similar shot.

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #4,632 of 8,735
I've ordered some tube extenders, and though they're not here yet, the thought just occurred to me ...... when pulling the tubes out, what insures the extenders stay with the sockets on the board rather than come out still attached to the tube?

Second question:  Are vacuum tube microphonics a real issue or do you like the dampers because they're 'sexy'?  Seriously, has anyone ever heard any feedback or other microphonics-related issues with their Lyr?

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:56 AM Post #4,633 of 8,735
You can use a small blunt object to "hold" the tubesaver in place and gently pull the tube out to leave the tubesaver in place. Something like a popsickle stick will work. Just be careful!!

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #4,634 of 8,735
Quote:
I've ordered some tube extenders, and though they're not here yet, the thought just occurred to me ...... when pulling the tubes out, what insures the extenders stay with the sockets on the board rather than come out still attached to the tube?

Second question:  Are vacuum tube microphonics a real issue or do you like the dampers because they're 'sexy'?  Seriously, has anyone ever heard any feedback or other microphonics-related issues with their Lyr?

The extenders will come out if you don't use something to hold them in place when you pull the tubes. I have the tube extenders and I use a plastic stick to hold the top of the extender in place while I remove the tube. The stick I use was a tool that was included with an iPod battery replacement kit. I have read others use a wooden stick. The important thing is to find something that is sturdy enough for the task, fits without damaging the amp, and does not conduct electricity, so you do not get zapped. 

Microphonics are a real issue, but the severity varies based on the tubes and the situation.  My ALO The Continental amp is quite microphonic, when you touch the volume control knob, you can hear a taping noise in the headphones. A tube in a preamp or phono stage that subjected to loud music from loudspeakers is going to be more an issue than a headphone amp.  However, a headphone amp can still have issues as there are small vibrations internal to the component from the transformers etc. So in the case of the headphone amp, the damper is more of a tweak than a must have. Also, some tube vendors test their tubes and grade them on how microphonic they are.  For example Vintage Tube Services, or Upscale Audio grade their tubes based on microphonics.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #4,635 of 8,735
Quote:

I never bothered to try to keep the extenders from coming out with the tube.  If it does, just pop the tube off the extender, plug-in another one, and insert them both back in the Lyr.  My old Lyr's sockets were a little loose (from me rolling so many tubes) so it was more trouble than it was worth trying to keep the extenders from coming out and I never had any problems.  As far as the dampers go, I had Herbie's dampers as well and I did have some microphonic tubes.  The dampers really do work and they really do affect (improve...at least to me) the sound.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back