Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3,511 of 8,735
Quote:
Mail just came And I got the Mullard E88CC CV2492 DIMPLE DISK PAIR TAN from Mister Rogers--

Plugged them in and about to give them a try with the LCD2's

Jack

Okay not much time on them but they are used tubes-sound good so far but a little bit noisy with nothing playing--

Jack

Jun 9, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3,512 of 8,735
Actually I would call it a background hum--Don't have this with any of my other tubes--

What could cause this??

As I said tube newbie

In Advance Thanks

Jack

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,514 of 8,735
Quote:
So.... anyone have any impressions of the RCA Clear Tops to share? Enquiring minds and all....

I will, but I am breaking them in and completely wrapped up in the sound right now.  When I can tear away from the headphones, I'll post something.

BTW, are we just limiting ourselves to the clear tops with side getters?  Won't the top getter 6CG7/6FQ7 tubes work too?  Electro Harmonix is even selling new ones and I'm thinking about pushing the boundary a bit based on what I am hearing.

I know Jason responded to my inquiry about these back in July of 2011 (see post page 85) and he said he didn't think these tubes would be optimal (pg. 86 Post #1282); but optimal or not, like the PCC88s in the Lyr, these sound good.

So @ "sacd lover": You were right, they are a nice tube.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #3,515 of 8,735
Totally understand. I've had these in my amp(s) exclusively for the past 3-4 weeks. Other versions of the 6CG7 will certainly work too. I've tried the Mazda's and the Gold Aero's (which were Amperex Holland I believe). Both were nice, but the Clear Top gets the slight edge. I'm going to hunt down some RCA black plate 0-getter's - they're suppose to be even better. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3,516 of 8,735
Jack: I'd be interesting in hearing your impression of the differences between the mullards and the Matsu.  I have he Mullard dimples and really like them, and I've been eyeing the Nationals as well.  Not many people seem to be able to give comparisons :)

Quote:
I did not mean to sound snippy but I have the LYR(their ASGAARD as well) and I am very interested in finding (tubes you can actually get your hands on)
and trying different tubes to complement my Audeze LCD 2's & Senn HD 650's--

Also without breaking the bank--

I have read thru this long and very informative thread and it has really helped me out on this journey--

Just bought I believe the last pair of Mullard E88CC CV2492 DIMPLE DISK PAIR TAN- from Mister Rogers which should be here today & I can't wait to try them out--

Currently I have in the LYR the Matsu****a E88CC 6922 Japan - MINT NOS NIB Mullard Tooling from Tubemonger and they are my favorite over all 3 of the Schiit tube offerings which I have....

Great Day!!

Jack

Quote:
Totally understand. I've had these in my amp(s) exclusively for the past 3-4 weeks. Other versions of the 6CG7 will certainly work too. I've tried the Mazda's and the Gold Aero's (which were Amperex Holland I believe). Both were nice, but the Clear Top gets the slight edge. I'm going to hunt down some RCA black plate 0-getter's - they're suppose to be even better. 
wink_face.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3,517 of 8,735
 I bought a few pairs {about 10?} on ebay,and I find them very good ..on the Lyr,with both the Lcd's & hd650's..I will let  the tech report to a more learned member.  {MrRogers...& MrScary.....anyone?}

Prices on ebay are all over the map.

Today ordered another pair from Brent Jesse.these are not the clear tops.....,I am curious about the Blackplates...I've heard,that some users believe that they give better SQ...also..I may be mistaken,but I think they were made in the mid 50's??..please correct me on this..

With my chain,I have been listening to them ,on & off for about 2 weeks,and I'm very impressed SQ,& Prices.

Of course now,prices will start to shoot up...

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #3,518 of 8,735
IE M Crazy-I will give it my best shot--

Previously by far my favorite tubes were the Nationals with my LCD 2's-now having listened to the Mullards for about 5 hours-remember they are used so I have no idea how many hours there are on them and barring the slight background hum which I do not hear while playing music I find them to be more open, slightly wider soundstage, more bass impact and overall clearer & cleaner & smoother, with the vocals more up front in my head---seems to have brought my LCD2's to a different level where as my other tube rolling (all 3 ****t variations some other 6b7's & the Nationals) just seemed to alter things slightly....

Overall a step up in the total aural experience for me....Liking them a whole lot with the LCD2's

Just don't get what the hum is all about though!!

Jack

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #3,519 of 8,735
Quote:
Jack: I'd be interesting in hearing your impression of the differences between the mullards and the Matsu.  I have he Mullard dimples and really like them, and I've been eyeing the Nationals as well.  Not many people seem to be able to give comparisons :)

I'm sorry I didn't respond to you earlier when you asked me, I've been wrapped up in work and these 6CG7 tubes.  I had several dimpled-getter Mullard (E88CC and ECC88) tubes a long time ago but I really don't remember anything that stood out (other than they had a good overall sound, but that was two sets of headphones ago).  The Matsu tubes have been a great all-around tube with a smooth overall sound.  Some folks have said the top end is a little recessed but I find I it's just right for classic rock and some easy listening.  The bass is tight but not as strong as the PCC88s I've heard, yet I find myself going back to these for everyday listening.  They really don't excel in one area, just have a nice smooth overall sound.  I guess it's a testament to the Mullard tooling they used.  I find the Lorenz PCC88s three dimensional, other PCC88s have good extension in the low and top ends...and the 6CG7 tubes?  I'm still trying to put my impressions into words.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #3,520 of 8,735
Quote:
IE M Crazy-I will give it my best shot--

Previously by far my favorite tubes were the Nationals with my LCD 2's-now having listened to the Mullards for about 5 hours-remember they are used so I have no idea how many hours there are on them and barring the slight background hum which I do not hear while playing music I find them to be more open, slightly wider soundstage, more bass impact and overall clearer & cleaner & smoother, with the vocals more up front in my head---seems to have brought my LCD2's to a different level where as my other tube rolling (all 3 ****t variations some other 6b7's & the Nationals) just seemed to alter things slightly....

Overall a step up in the total aural experience for me....Liking them a whole lot with the LCD2's

Just don't get what the hum is all about though!!

Jack

Maybe I have to revisit the Mullards... 
wink_face.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #3,521 of 8,735
I am definitely enjoying them so far--Jazz at The Pawn Shop never sounded so good--at least for me!!

But I also don't have a huge tube collection or rolling experience..

Jack

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #3,522 of 8,735
The problem for me was I used a couple of media players as sources before settling with Foobar on my laptop, then I added a Bifrost DAC.  Plus, I started out with the LCD-2 r.1, then r.2, then went with the LCD-3s.  Most all of that since I tried the Mullards.  I guess I do need to give them a try again...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #3,523 of 8,735
My LCD 2's are rev2's--wish i could figure out this hum though....

Jack

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3,524 of 8,735
Jack I've had tubes that hummed and the hum went away with burn in/time listening. I bought some tube dampers from herbie's audio which I feel like helped as well. Then again some old tubes just hum, as long as i can't hear it while music playing I just try and ignore it

Jun 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #3,525 of 8,735
How would you get tube dampers around tubes in a LYR?

They sit so far down with so little room around them!!

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back