SCHIIT LYR - Do the pre-outs run through the tubes?
May 19, 2011 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

vk80

New Head-Fier

Very interested in purchasing a Schiit Lyr.  Does anyone know if the pre-outs run through the tubes or does it bypass the tubes?  Curious if you'd get some of that tube sound flavor when using the Lyr as a preamp, connecting an external amplifier to loudspeakers accordingly.  

In my setup this would mean iMac USB (Audirvana.app) > NuForce uDAC 2 > Schiit Lyr > Rotel RB-1050 Amplifier > Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers

Thanks everyone!

May 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks Ducker.  I just emailed Schiit this afternoon with this question and will post their response here.  I am thinking it does run through the tubes... though if anyone has one, I am thinking they could probably just remove the tubes and see if the pre-outs still work and post their findings.

May 21, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #4 of 22
My bet is that is will use the driver tubes for pre-out. My hybrid pre- amp does. I think in general if you buy a tube amp that has a pre-amp function it would be a bit pointless if it didn't use the tubes for the pre-out. Just my 2 cents..

May 21, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 22
I agree, LugBug.  And I just heard back from Jason at Schiit (impressive turnaround time on responding to my email).

"Yep, the pre-outs are amplified by the tubes, for the exact reason you'd think--tube sound!"

Looks like I'm gonna have to take out the VISA and check out the Lyr!!!

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 22
Digging this out of the grave, I doubt anyone would reply. I am dying to know how the Lyr works as a pre-amp. I already have one, and I intend on getting a Rotel as well (RB-1562) and intend to drive the B&W 685s with it.

I would be really curious to find out if you liked it.. Thanks

Nov 17, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Very interested in purchasing a Schiit Lyr.  Does anyone know if the pre-outs run through the tubes or does it bypass the tubes?  Curious if you'd get some of that tube sound flavor when using the Lyr as a preamp, connecting an external amplifier to loudspeakers accordingly.  

In my setup this would mean iMac USB (Audirvana.app) > NuForce uDAC 2 > Schiit Lyr > Rotel RB-1050 Amplifier > Monitor Audio BX2 Speakers

Thanks everyone!

You will get some tube flavor. However the Lyr isn't ideal for use as pre amp. You wouldn't be getting the full tube goodness.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
Could I drive an 8 ohm, 50-100 W power amp for studio monitors with it? 

It could be overkill and actually sound bad. If not, it could be ideal to max the speakers and use the Lyr for volume control.

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
It could be overkill and actually sound bad. If not, it could be ideal to max the speakers and use the Lyr for volume control.

Sorry to be a bit annoying with these questions but.. what do you mean overkill? (I was actually referring to passive speakers that require around 50-100 W)

Lets say Lyr (pre amp) -> 100 W power amp like a Rotel RB-1562 -> passive bookshelf speakers like B&W 685s (that could handle up to 100W/channel)

Would the Lyr be able to handle it?

Rotel :http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=479

B&W: http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html

Thanks in advance.

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Sorry to be a bit annoying with these questions but.. what do you mean overkill? (I was actually referring to passive speakers that require around 50-100 W)

Lets say Lyr (pre amp) -> 100 W power amp like a Rotel RB-1562 -> passive bookshelf speakers like B&W 685s (that could handle up to 100W/channel)

Would the Lyr be able to handle it?

Rotel :http://www.rotel.com/NA/products/ProductDetails.htm?Id=479

B&W: http://www.bowers-wilkins.eu/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/685.html

Thanks in advance.

If the power amp drives them well and then you add to that the Lyr's pre amp it could be too much. Which is why I said
it could be overkill. But if you max out the speakers and use the Lyr for volume control it can be easier controlling both channels.

Those should both be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back