Schiit Lyr - Crackle?
Jun 1, 2011 at 5:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

HiFidelity

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, 

I need some advice. I just received my Schiit Lyr amp as well as my HiFiMAN HE-500. Such a nice combo package. 
Anyhow I'm having some issues with alot of static noise coming out of my headphones. I haven't used the HiFiMAN HE-500 yet, but just testing with my Grado SR325is.

This is how I've got my music station set up.

Macbook Pro --- Optical Out --- Maverick Audio DAC TubeMagic D1 --- Output via RCA to Schiit Lyr --- > Grado SR 325is.
RCA cable is a Chord Cobra 3 Stereo Audio Cable.[size=small] [/size]I've got the volume on the Maverick Audio set to about half way. 

From the start I'm hearing crackling, hiss, static at the lowest volume knob setting. It's freaking me out? Sounds so bad. 
Have I done something wrong with the setup or did I get a dud unit? Previousily I've been using my Maverick Audio DAC TubeMagic D1 as an all in one DAC and headmp and it works nicely. 

Thank you Guys in advance. 

HF

Jun 1, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 16
Is the problem down both channels or just one? If it's just one then it could be a tube problem.
Do you have anything else you can check the TubeMagic RCA out with? If that turns out to be fine then I'd contact Schiit.

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 16
Hi Mate. 

Sounds like both channels. I can hear fuzz in both. I tried swapping tubes and all but still the same. Sounds like both have fuzz. My TubeMagic is just silent if I plug my headphones into it...

?

Wasn't the best surprise.

Cheers,
HF

Jun 1, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 16
There could be distortion on the RCA out that's not on the HP out... though that's unlikely. I know that the Lyr is designed for low-sensitivity cans, but in my brief experience with one what you're getting is just strange. Try it with the HE-500 and see if the problem persists.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 16
I even used my JH13's wit the Lyr with no real static or noise, just a slight amount but then I wouldn't use the Lyr with them normally I just wanted to see what I could hear, which wasn't much. I would contact Schiit. 

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 16
Thanks Guys. I just tried again and I can hear the fuzz coming back. My brother had a listen and reckons it's more prominent in the right ear. I will contact the distributor where I am located. Any ideas?

Jun 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 16
Just on the off chance, if you can, try a different interconnect cable. For some reason one of my tube amps is very picky with leads and reacts very similar to what you have described.

Jun 2, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #8 of 16
Hi Mate. 

Sounds like both channels. I can hear fuzz in both. I tried swapping tubes and all but still the same. Sounds like both have fuzz. My TubeMagic is just silent if I plug my headphones into it...

?

Wasn't the best surprise.

Cheers,
HF

Likely interference from your computer. I get the same thing with my Lyr, and WA2 when I use USB to my DAC. Try this: unplug the power from your laptop.

When my laptop is plugged in to AC power, I get a lout hum/crackle, when I run off the batteries...it disappears.

Jun 3, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 16
Hi Guys. 

It ended up being a dodgy pair of tubes. When I switched the tubes, the static started changing channels. 
Swapped with an alternative set of tubes and this has been resolved. 

Have a good one.
HF

Jun 18, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 16
I am now experiencing a similar problem. I hear humming noise in both channels when I plug in a pair of Alessandro Music Series 2 (32ohms). This hum is audible even when the volume is zero. When I turn up the volume the hum gets louder.

I tried to eliminate various possible sources of the hum, but no avail. I have swapped a different pair of tubes, interconnects, power cable, power tray, turned off my disc player, computer, etc.

But the hum still persists with the Alessandro MS2. The hum is less audible at volume zero when I plug in a pair of AKG K702, but it is still there.

Would any of you have suggestions for what I do next?

Jun 19, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 16
Some tubes are noisy, and the fact you're trying to use very sensitive headphones like the Grados will further intensify the hum/hiss. For the most part this is normal. All you can do is use harder to drive headphones, or keep swapping tubes and hope you get one that is magical and works with sensitive cans.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
I am now experiencing a similar problem. I hear humming noise in both channels when I plug in a pair of Alessandro Music Series 2 (32ohms). This hum is audible even when the volume is zero. When I turn up the volume the hum gets louder.

I tried to eliminate various possible sources of the hum, but no avail. I have swapped a different pair of tubes, interconnects, power cable, power tray, turned off my disc player, computer, etc.

But the hum still persists with the Alessandro MS2. The hum is less audible at volume zero when I plug in a pair of AKG K702, but it is still there.

Would any of you have suggestions for what I do next?

So you are saying that with nothing plugged into the amp you get a hum? Have you tried to float the ground or having the ground from the source only? Normally if the hum increases with the volume control being increased, you are amplifying an incoming signal be it hum or music. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 16
Hi Guys. 

I got my Tubes swapped with the 6n1p and it's been pretty sweet so far. I think I got some noisy tubes originally. Like Mad Lust Envy and jamato8, I found the Grado very sensitive and they picked up instantly a slight hiss (almost inaudible) on my mine. I guess this is expected?

Anyhow on using the HiFiMan HE-500, it's perfect. I don't get any white noise at all.

http://schiit.com/products/lyr-tubes-6n1p/

Cheers,
HF

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
So you are saying that with nothing plugged into the amp you get a hum? Have you tried to float the ground or having the ground from the source only? Normally if the hum increases with the volume control being increased, you are amplifying an incoming signal be it hum or music. 

I hear the hum through my Alessandro headphones when I plug it into the headphone outlet on the  Lyr. The hum is very audible even when the volume is at zero and no music is playing through my source.

With the AKG K702 plugged instead, the hum disappears significantly. I have to turn up the volume a lot for the hum to become audible on the K702.

"Mad Lust Envy" has suggested that it is due to the Alessandro being a more sensitive headphone overall.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 16
Yes. Like my Lyr hissed/hummed with the easy to drive cans I used like the M50, D7000, but had zero noise with the HE4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back