Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #2,656 of 5,228
However, the word "Magic" used to describe a cheap motel room vibrating bed is GLORIOUS!! (Assuming you have a pocket full of quarters and are up-to-date on your vaccinations.) :D

And what about Magico speakers? :wink:
I'm not going to touch this one.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,657 of 5,228
I have a very plausible and Rated G explanation for knowing, but I'll just let you fine folks run with it. :smirk:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #2,658 of 5,228
I have a very plausible and Rated G explanation for knowing, but I'll just let you fine folks run with it. :smirk:
That's one hell of a typo. The G key is a long ways off from the X key.

Oct 29, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #2,659 of 5,228
Shouldn't you be cleaning some tube pins or something?? :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #2,660 of 5,228
a bit OT, but seeing as many of yous guys are into or considering ZMF headphones, why not meet him in person? Dec 9th in Chicago for ZMFestivus. It'll be my second time meeting him, and it'd be great to meet some of you other lyr3 tube fondlers there. Plus, he usually brings Decware amps, so we can compare how a $2k amp fares against the Lyr3!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-inaugural-zmfestivus-2018-chicago-12-9-18.891737/

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:34 AM Post #2,661 of 5,228
If I could go, I would. I've met Zach several times. Quality dude, for sure.

The Pendant amp I think sounds better than the Mogwai it is based off. If you get a chance to compare the two, you should. The mog is just too colored sounding for me, but the pendant kept a nice neutral tone. Could be the tubes used, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #2,662 of 5,228
Got some more stuff on the way, thought i'd give the E80CC a go seeing as when you squint your eyes the specs aren't that far out. Needs an adaptor though.

Also got my beady eye on a Tung Sol round plate.

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #2,663 of 5,228
Got some more stuff on the way, thought i'd give the E80CC a go seeing as when you squint your eyes the specs aren't that far out. Needs an adaptor though.

Also got my beady eye on a Tung Sol round plate.
I will be glad to hear your opinions on E80CC.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #2,664 of 5,228
Unless the thing has been just used to death the bias and english potentiometers are pretty reliable. They may need cleaned, but the backs are open so it's easy to get to the windings. The main thing you want to do is replace the electrolytic caps if they are the originals. Ticking time bombs at 50+ years old regardless of usage. Been a long time since I did mine, but IIRC there's only 3 or 4 in there that need replaced and they're very easy to get to. Get the values off the caps themselves if you can -- Hickok was famous for making circuit modifications without updating the manuals, so the parts list in the manual may or may not be accurate. Basic soldering skills are all that's needed. Avoid DeOxit like the plague inside these testers. It leaves a residue that can soak into the phenolic wafers the rotary switches are built up from and will become conductive over time destroying the accuracy of the tester. As a general rule, if a switch or pot (rotary or up/down) is working correctly and smoothly, leave it alone. Only clean and/or lubricate if the action is rough or moving the knob or pot causes things to jump around unpredictably. Also, don't plug it in and fire it up as soon as you get it out of the box. Type 83 tubes don't like being jostled around and need time to settle. Let it sit and take in its new surroundings for at least an hour. Why the 83 tube was used so widely in these testers (and not just Hickoks) is very strange, as most of them were designed to be portable and the 83 wasn't. I don't want to go further off-track in this thread so I'll quit here, but if there's anything else I can help with shoot me a PM.

To be on the cautious side, it may be wise to replace all the electrolytic caps as soon as 20 years after their manufacture date.

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #2,665 of 5,228
To be on the cautious side, it may be wise to replace all the electrolytic caps as soon as 20 years after their manufacture date.

Would it be better to replace with solid electrolyte caps? I'm guessing years down the line won't have to worry about electrolyte evaporation.

Nov 2, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #2,666 of 5,228

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #2,667 of 5,228
I'm troubled...

Just rolled back in the NEVZ 6N1P-EV and i think it sounds better than the uber expensive Marconi B65 (at least with my HE-500's, have no other full sized headphones to compare)

The mild U shape to the sound signature pairs very well with the HE-500, and the tube sounds cleaner, not as "tubey" as the B65.

The 6N1P or any NEVZ sounded junk in the original Lyr 1, so Lyr 3 must be operating far closer to the sweet spot of this tube.

A $5 tube punching at or above a $500 tube troubles me a tad :) I think the B65 might go back on eBay.

*EDIT* Found a pair on eBay, mine are '67's but these are '63's so similar vintage: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1963-Mat...=item1c9ede1f9a:g:Fw0AAOSwODFaY30b:rk:24:pf:0

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #2,668 of 5,228
A $5 tube punching at or above a $500 tube troubles me a tad :) I think the B65 might go back on eBay.
My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.

:yum:

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #2,669 of 5,228
6SN7 LISST lacks the sex appeal of a tube. Even a socket savers lift doesn’t improve its looks, maybe better buried down inside a bit, LOL! I’ll let it burn in for a couple days while I await delivery of my “last” (I’m dead X%&*#@ serious, this time) tube on order to arrive. A Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE Limited Edition Lowest noise - Grade A, single tube.
upload_2018-11-4_9-19-30.png

I've been following @earnmyturns listening evals with the GF Limited Edition Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE and based on my satisfaction with GF's plain vanilla 6SN7 and their CV181 / TII (still a 6SN7) versions I figured I'd complete my GF collection.

upload_2018-11-4_9-26-16.png

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #2,670 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back