Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Nov 7, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,686 of 5,228
E80CC sounds promising, just rolled in a Tungsram E80CC with one of my home made adaptors from Lyr 1 years ago. Not burned in yet so would be unfair to pass judgement. Sounds nice so far :)

No magic smoke yet either :)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #2,687 of 5,228
Anyone know where I can buy more Raytheon vt-231 tubes?

After trying numerous tubes (stock NOS, upgrade tung sol, Raytheon GTB), the Raytheon vt-231 just sounds best with my gumby -> lyr 3 -> eikon system. Good dynamics (with great slam), soundstage in all directions, good in both low/high gain, and a balanced sound signature that complements the eikon. I think I'll be sticking with this tube for the long haul.

Nov 10, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #2,688 of 5,228
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #2,689 of 5,228
Tungsram E80CC... what LISST should have been?

Now from what i've been reading there are 2 types of E80CC, ones that are Tungsram, and ones that.. well.. aren't. The others seem to have all been made by Phillips in Heerlen. I've read reviews that say the Heerlen's are warmer but less resolving, pretty much everyone prefer's the Tungsram, but to each their own :)

Been cooking this one for a while now and really enjoying it. It doesn't really sound tubey at all, sounds more like good solid state, by which i mean fairly accurate but not too thin or clinical sounding

Tube is really fast and detailed, dry would be too harsh a word to describe it, accurate maybe? Not too coloured? Has quite a neutral signature but smooth, edges seem well rounded but not to the point you could describe as liquid. Bass has mild warmth and very good extension. Mids are neutral maybe a tad smoother than most tubes but again not quite liquid.

I'd say the treble is a little bright (for my taste) but most would describe it as neutral, my ears are accustomed to laid back treble, this has maybe a tad more zing and energy than i'm used to but very detailed.

Not the best tube in terms of imaging, soundstage not the widest but separation of instruments is good.

Overall it's the good kind of neutral, the kind of neutral that has a fullness about it.

If only LISST sounded like this,

Definitely worth rolling, but you'll need an adaptor for use in Lyr 3 due to having a 12v heater (which handily, is centre tapped)

Which reminds me i made my own adaptors for this tube back in Lyr 1 days as below (the black one) Basically converts E80CC to 6DJ8 other adaptor then converts to 6SN7 socket. The tube actually arrived in the post before the proper adaptor and i remembered i made these so had a rummage in the drawer and found a few still left over.

eKObf3b.jpg

Looks a bit ridiculous fully assembled :anguished:

PSzEMxn.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #2,690 of 5,228
That is certainly a grower not a shower...

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #2,692 of 5,228

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #2,693 of 5,228
I also posted this on the Schiit Happens thread. (Somebody had to take one for the team)

I finished my eval of the LISST for my LYR-3 yesterday morning, here are my thoughts;

My final thoughts on LISST with LYR-3

I cooked the LISST in for 8 days, playing music and test tones during waking hours to break it in and leaving it on over nights. Probably 20 hours of listening time total.

I didn’t compare it to any of my tubes as I knew there would be more substantial differences in the sound but did compared it to my Ragnarok.

I heard nothing significant in the frequency response, imaging and noise levels between the two.

The most notable differences compared to my Ragnarok were;

1. Sound Stage: More forward and flat with the LISST

2. Highs: a bit harsher / grainier /splashy with the LISST

3. No sense of roundness or 3D-like illusion to the sound of individual or solo instruments

4. Lack of air and poorer ambience retrieval

I prefer the sound of my Jotunheim to the LYR-3 plus LISST. While it is also a bit forward compared to the Ragnarok it still sounds better to me in the 4 categories above.

As an emergency backup the LISST could serve a purpose but what’s the likely hood that those who own a LYR-3 won’t have at least 1 each of the stock 6SN7 and 6N8S. And, I gotta’ believe that like me, many will have a suitcase full of tube rolling options available if one should fail. For those who prefer Passive or JFET Buffer modes to tube in their Freya they could be a good investment.

Equipment Used: NuPrime CDT-8 transport (AES and Coax) feeding Yggdrasil B. All analog cabling was Dana Cable, digital cabling by Straight Wire. An assortment of Chesky and Sheffield CD’s for critical listening. HP’s were Abyss 1266 Phi CC and Utopia.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #2,694 of 5,228
I also posted this on the Schiit Happens thread. (Somebody had to take one for the team)

I finished my eval of the LISST for my LYR-3 yesterday morning, here are my thoughts;

My final thoughts on LISST with LYR-3

I cooked the LISST in for 8 days, playing music and test tones during waking hours to break it in and leaving it on over nights. Probably 20 hours of listening time total.

I didn’t compare it to any of my tubes as I knew there would be more substantial differences in the sound but did compared it to my Ragnarok.

I heard nothing significant in the frequency response, imaging and noise levels between the two.

The most notable differences compared to my Ragnarok were;

1. Sound Stage: More forward and flat with the LISST

2. Highs: a bit harsher / grainier /splashy with the LISST

3. No sense of roundness or 3D-like illusion to the sound of individual or solo instruments

4. Lack of air and poorer ambience retrieval

I prefer the sound of my Jotunheim to the LYR-3 plus LISST. While it is also a bit forward compared to the Ragnarok it still sounds better to me in the 4 categories above.

As an emergency backup the LISST could serve a purpose but what’s the likely hood that those who own a LYR-3 won’t have at least 1 each of the stock 6SN7 and 6N8S. And, I gotta’ believe that like me, many will have a suitcase full of tube rolling options available if one should fail. For those who prefer Passive or JFET Buffer modes to tube in their Freya they could be a good investment.

Equipment Used: NuPrime CDT-8 transport (AES and Coax) feeding Yggdrasil B. All analog cabling was Dana Cable, digital cabling by Straight Wire. An assortment of Chesky and Sheffield CD’s for critical listening. HP’s were Abyss 1266 Phi CC and Utopia.
I think my overall impression of the LISST could be summarized as:

Hey, this sounds pretty good! Yeah, not bad at all. I like it!

<Swap in a real tube>

Oooooohhh... ok. Uhh... Yeah, never mind. This is what that's supposed to sound like.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #2,695 of 5,228
I have found the perfect use for LISST -- at least for me. Whenever I feel the urge to buy another tube, I drop in LISST and it reminds me of how good the tubes I have really sound thus reducing the urge to buy more tubes. Kinda like a Methadone for the tube rolling addict trying to kick the habit! :D

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,696 of 5,228
I have been following this thread for some time. I bought the Lyr 3 and currently use the Russian 6N8S (NOS) and Tung-Sol 6SN7 (New) from Schiit. I want to try some other tubes but to be honest this thread has me completely confused. I was hoping to get some recommendations from the more experienced members (pretty much all of you). I have 3 headphones that I use with the Lyr 3:

1. Senn HD 6XX - Used probably 75%
2. Oppo PM 3 - Used probably 20%
3. Shure SRH 1540 - Almost never used as it stays at work

I listen to a pretty large range of music. Pretty much all types of rock from the 60's to now (classic, heavy metal, hard rock, industrial, goth). Since I have gotten into headphones I have also dabbled in a bit of funk, classical and jazz music. Let's call it 75% rock and 25% other.

So all I need from you fine people is the single tube that overlaps all 3 headphones and my musical taste and doesn't cost a small fortune! :) Obviously a tall order so feel free to narrow down your suggestions as you see fit.

Nov 12, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #2,697 of 5,228
My recommendations after 50+ tubes is as follows:

1. Sylvania 6SN7GT 2 or 3-hole Bad Boy (1951-1953): http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm
2. Westinghouse 6SN7GTB with top D-shaped getter holder and black ladder off-set plates: ( these are hard to find, but if you e-mail Brent Jesse from the above link (audiotubes.com) he may have 1 or 2.)
3. 1950's Foton ribbed plate 68NS / 6SN7: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N8S-6SN7-ECC32-1578-1952-Year-Tested-FOTON-NOS-TUBES-LOT-OF-2/152643173507?hash=item238a3dfc83:g:ZuwAAOSwuZpbyExR) **

** This is a reputable seller. Several here (myself included) have purchased from this fellow.

BTW -- they all sound great with the HD6XX

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2,698 of 5,228

1. Sylvania 6SN7GT 2 or 3-hole Bad Boy (1951-1953): http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm
2. Westinghouse 6SN7GTB with top D-shaped getter holder and black ladder off-set plates: ( these are hard to find, but if you e-mail Brent Jesse from the above link (audiotubes.com) he may have 1 or 2.
3. 1950's Foton ribbed plate 68NS / 6SN7: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N8S-6SN7-ECC32-1578-1952-Year-Tested-FOTON-NOS-TUBES-LOT-OF-2/152643173507?hash=item238a3dfc83:g:ZuwAAOSwuZpbyExR)

Good starting choices because they do sound great (I don't have the Bad Boy but general consensus implies great sound) and no adapters required. But you may want a tube lifter to have the LYR-3 run cooler (in my experience) and give it sex appeal. I've spent many hours with the Westinghouse and Foton's and they along with a very few others are the pick of the adapter free litter. And I've had many purchases with Brent Jesse, he's a reputable source with reasonable pricing. There are many other good, trustworthy vendors as well but here's where I'd start.

Edit: You could also contact Brent, give you genre and sonic wish list and let him suggest.
AND: forgot, Ken-Rad VT-231 - mine has great bass.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #2,700 of 5,228

2. Westinghouse 6SN7GTB with top D-shaped getter holder and black ladder off-set plates: ( these are hard to find, but if you e-mail Brent Jesse from the above link (audiotubes.com) he may have 1 or 2.)
3. 1950's Foton ribbed plate 68NS / 6SN7: (https://www.ebay.com/itm/6N8S-6SN7-ECC32-1578-1952-Year-Tested-FOTON-NOS-TUBES-LOT-OF-2/152643173507?hash=item238a3dfc83:g:ZuwAAOSwuZpbyExR) **

** This is a reputable seller. Several here (myself included) have purchased from this fellow.

AND: forgot, Ken-Rad VT-231 - mine has great bass.

These. My personal favorite is still the Westinghouse D-getter for overall sound, but the Fotons are slightly more... energetic sounding.

Also, I don't know if @FLTWS means the Ken-Rad VT-231 Black Glass or not. The black glass gets my recommendation, but the clear glass was way to bright for my tastes. (Or was it rolled off... I forget. All I know is I don't use it anymore.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back