Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
May 26, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #5,116 of 5,228
I have used Ken-Rad 6J5 pair (black metal) in a @Deyan adapter in Schiit Lyr 3 (not the +); versus single Ken-Rad VT-231, which is excellent in Lyr 3, there is deeper soundstage and more separation, ‘purer’ air between instruments and voices.
If only we can adapter our adapter and make it quad tube...... but yes I understand that's not how it works. :joy:

Also to clarify, did you mean the 6J5 pair is deeper and more separated or did you mean the VT-231? I'd imagine the 6J5 pair but you can never be too sure in this hobby......

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #5,117 of 5,228
If only we can adapter our adapter and make it quad tube...... but yes I understand that's not how it works. :joy:

Also to clarify, did you mean the 6J5 pair is deeper and more separated or did you mean the VT-231? I'd imagine the 6J5 pair but you can never be too sure in this hobby......
Who says there can't be quad adapters?

May 26, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #5,121 of 5,228
May 26, 2023 at 2:53 PM Post #5,122 of 5,228
Wait so to my understanding is that 6J5 splits the left / right channel, as 6SN7 is stereo. When it's quad tube what would be the allocation? Also which tube type?
The 6SN7 tube is a dual-triode tube. Two triodes within one glass casing. The 6C5 and the 6J5 are single-triode tubes. With an adapter (I use Deyan’s 2*6J5 => 6SN7), each 6J5 is a channel. In the 6SN7, each triode is a channel.

the 6J5 pair

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #5,125 of 5,228
Okay, thanks a lot! Guess I was overthinking it. Cheap and in country too.
I mean...... I haven't tried other ones so I don't know how much difference it makes.

But I did notice different 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adapter sounded different to me. I have 4-5 of them lying around, and one day I was bored so I tried them all. I might be crazy so don't quote me on it, but I thought they all sounded different. I liked the cheapest silver looking aliexpress one the best, so not telling you more expensive is better, just different.

I also liked my 5N purity cable better than my 7N purity cable, 5N was like $100? The stock Fostex 7N cable is like $300? (For explanation, 5N = $99.999, 7N = $99.99999 pure copper) I later confirmed with my friend and he liked the 7N better than the 5N one.

Again I might be crazy so don't overthink it LOL.

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #5,126 of 5,228
I mean...... I haven't tried other ones so I don't know how much difference it makes.

But I did notice different 1/4 inch to 3.5 mm adapter sounded different to me. I have 4-5 of them lying around, and one day I was bored so I tried them all. I might be crazy so don't quote me on it, but I thought they all sounded different. I liked the cheapest silver looking aliexpress one the best, so not telling you more expensive is better, just different.

I also liked my 5N purity cable better than my 7N purity cable, 5N was like $100? The stock Fostex 7N cable is like $300? (For explanation, 5N = $99.999, 7N = $99.99999 pure copper) I later confirmed with my friend and he liked the 7N better than the 5N one.

I was merely thinking of trying to stay consistent with gold pins since the Chinese variant offered that, but it would take a week or two to arrive, maybe more. Since Shugang is gold pins, but then nobody can agree on gold in new production vs regular old metal in NOS, whether it truly makes a difference or if it's just for looks. I guess I wondered what people generally use for socket savers with Schiit amps and things like PSVANE/Shu gold pins.

I guess I might go Amptata just to keep the look consistent if anything. I want to try these tubes almost as an aesthetic choice and to say I've tried them, since they look really cool. Your socket saver is probably just as good esp for NOS.

May 26, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #5,127 of 5,228
Who says there can't be quad adapters?
Somebody that doesn't know you yet. 🤣

Now, I want some octaled adapters....

May 26, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #5,129 of 5,228

So you had two cables that were of identical construction and length and you could hear a difference between the 5N and 7N? Far out. Not doubting you at all, just that I wouldn't have imagined there would be much of a difference sonically.

May 26, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #5,130 of 5,228
So you had two cables that were of identical construction and length and you could hear a difference between the 5N and 7N? Far out. Not doubting you at all, just that I wouldn't have imagined there would be much of a difference sonically.
Actually you could be right, since it's:

Audiophile Ninja Cable 2m length (5N copper)
Fostex stock cable 3m length (7N copper)

I've also been told it could be the length difference too. Or plug material, or.... anything.... LOL.

But the Audiophile Ninja cable was clearly warmer and Fostex cable brighter. I liked the warmer presentation but my friend liked the brighter presentation hence why I liked the Audiophile Ninja cable and he liked the stock Fostex cable.

Both hooked to the same TH900, and when I lend it to him I didn't say anything since I didn't think there would be a difference. I only found out later when he complain why it's so muddy sounding LOL. Then he switched to stock cable and was like yupe this is it! Then I proceed to try after and agree with his findings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back