Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
May 26, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #5,131 of 5,226
Actually you could be right, since it's:

Audiophile Ninja Cable 2m length (5N copper)
Fostex stock cable 3m length (7N copper)

I've also been told it could be the length difference too. Or plug material, or.... anything.... LOL.

But the Audiophile Ninja cable was clearly warmer and Fostex cable brighter. I liked the warmer presentation but my friend liked the brighter presentation hence why I liked the Audiophile Ninja cable and he liked the stock Fostex cable.

Both hooked to the same TH900, and when I lend it to him I didn't say anything since I didn't think there would be a difference. I only found out later when he complain why it's so muddy sounding LOL. Then he switched to stock cable and was like yupe this is it! Then I proceed to try after and agree with his findings.
Amir / ASR worst nightmare !! 😮😲😬😫.

May 27, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #5,132 of 5,226
I support buying gear because it looks pretty LOL.

I for one can't use something if it looks ugly to me. :joy:
“Let me introduce you, for a reasonable fee, to some azure blue print Philips ECG E88CCs” … 😊😏😂🤑✈️

May 27, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #5,133 of 5,226
I support buying gear because it looks pretty LOL.

I for one can't use something if it looks ugly to me. :joy:
Same. The aesthetic of the sound changes with tubes as well and some argue Schiit tube amps are just supposed to sound neutral like solid state anyways. It adds a flavor though, and since head-sound gets samey sounding so quickly, I really think tubes are a great way to go.

I'm trying to match the Lyr 3 with my Aeon Noires but the Noires just aren't having it sometimes. I think my tubes need more proper two-day burn in for NOS (RCA grey GTB and Foton '55 both with probably less than a day). I'm tired of buying equipment for now and don't want something like the Jot 2. Of course, it's the peak that holds the pairing back. Makes me want to give up and get some dynamics.

I was using Asgard 3 but got tired of the limited soundstage. A bit laid back while the Lyr really rocks and powers the Aeons to the full. And then there's the in-cup filters, sigh. At least they're pretty.

May 27, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #5,134 of 5,226
“Let me introduce you, for a reasonable fee, to some azure blue print Philips ECG E88CCs” … 😊😏😂🤑✈️
This is like marrying the most beautiful girl in high school and then finding out she shrieks and screams incessantly. 🤣 🤣

May 27, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #5,135 of 5,226
This is like marrying the most beautiful girl in high school and then finding out she shrieks and screams incessantly. 🤣 🤣
I had to look it up and it really is pretty lol. But I guess it doesn't sound that good?

Reminds me of my Tesla E88CC Blue Tip which looks pretty but now I have better sounding tubes.

But we definitely should start using analogy to describe everything here on LOL.
I'm trying to match the Lyr 3 with my Aeon Noires but the Noires just aren't having it sometimes.
Does Lyr 3 not have enough power? I thought Lyr 3 is like 9W at 16 ohm not sure what impedance is Aeon Noir but should be plenty no?
I'm tired of buying equipment for now and don't want something like the Jot 2.
I feel the same about dac, I've gone through so many DACs now I'm too tired to try more. I have 2 more coming (SMSL SU-1 and Geshelli J2 AKM) if those 2 can't dethrone my SDAC then I'll declare SDAC as my tonal preference winner LOL. I say tonal preference because there are more technical dac that I tried but nothing beat SDAC tonally.
I was using Asgard 3 but got tired of the limited soundstage.
If you like soundtage then you should definitely try Sylvania 6J5GT x 2 with 6J5 to 6SN7 adapter either from Deyan or eBay. :laughing:

Last edited:
May 27, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #5,136 of 5,226
I had to look it up and it really is pretty lol. But I guess it doesn't sound that good?
That's a very nice way of putting it. 🤣

But if you ever want to take the most direct route to the pinnacle of nastiness, try a Philips ECG 5814.

1685233852434.png

May 28, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #5,137 of 5,226
That's a very nice way of putting it. 🤣

But if you ever want to take the most direct route to the pinnacle of nastiness, try a Philips ECG 5814.

1685233852434.png
That's pretty cruel. At least give the poor guy some warning...

Or send some of these from your stash - for a nice harsh, dry Grainy Experience in his Lyr... :joy::astonished:😱

60s-GE-6SN7.jpg

May 28, 2023 at 7:36 AM Post #5,138 of 5,226
That's pretty cruel. At least give the poor guy some warning...

Or send some of these from your stash - for a nice harsh, dry Grainy Experience in his Lyr... :joy::astonished:😱

60s-GE-6SN7.jpg
I think those two GE's had a one-night stand, and nine months later ECG 5814 was born. 🤣

May 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #5,139 of 5,226
Went to TubeDepot and ordered a Ken-Rad VT-231 smoked glass - you know, the expensive one. They've had it listed at the same price for many months while others have recently raised prices due to demand. So I figured I'd get it from a "respectable" company before they weren't available anymore. A week later and it finally arrives - why the delay? It's a 2-day turn + 1 for getting it into a box but I waited a week. Noticed in the interim they are now listing it, "Out of stock".

So what do I get? A d*med Raytheon VT-231 they sell for $149.

Well call me a jerk but I'm a skeptic - some idiot threw that in a box because, well, they didn't want to have to go back and say, "oh sorry we don't have that anymore" and hoped that I'd well you know just it's OK. Isn't that how it works now? No really, it's the same as a Ken-Rad. Just as good. No big deal. Won't be a problem. Won't even notice.

I can tell you I will never buy from them again. I'm that guy. And in the meantime, I dropped it into my amp. Absolutely nothing about it that does anything for me. Heavy bass, very...uninspiring in every other way. Maybe the dynamics are a little more significant but my Sylvania, RCA, and Ken-Rad (clear glass) have lots more to offer. Even my EH is more pleasing.

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE RIP.
Sorry to hear you had a crappy experience with them... I have purchased a few times with them, never had an issue, although never really bought anything "special"... :frowning2:
Hope you got it all sorted out by now...

May 30, 2023 at 12:03 AM Post #5,140 of 5,226
… even before … 🤣😲😖

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #5,141 of 5,226
Since the acquisition of my Raytheon VT-231, I've managed to find and acquire the smoked glass Ken-Rad VT-231 I was originally after.

How to compare? I'll first note the Raytheon vs. the Ken-Rad VT-231 clear glass for reference- the Raytheon has a bit more punch, and a slightly more full mid-low end (which is to me one of two ways the Burson amp outshines the Lyr+, as it probably should based on price alone). That I quite like. The Raytheon highs are a bit more aligned with what I prefer but a slight bit of EQ can compensate for those differences (0.5 - 1.0 dB in a couple spots). Not huge. The Ken-Rad clear glass on the other hand has more air and presence in the mids and for me is much preferred for acoustic recordings and live percussion etc. Electric guitars may not bite as much as w/ the Raytheon, owing to mid-highs but those are somewhat tunable though not completely.

What about the Ken-Rad VT-231 smoked glass? Surprisingly similar to the clear glass version, but yet still different. Immediately noted the upper end is slightly smoother and more natural, if not perhaps to some, 'flatter' - maybe perceived as a difference in dynamics but it's more about where prominence comes into play on the response curve, I think. Kind of early, a couple days of listening and it seems the used tube is in fact used but not spent.

On the low end, the smoked glass has more prominence in the mid-bass so it approaches the Raytheon if not equals it in this regard, whereas the clear glass isn't quite as rich in this region. Both are tight and articulate, clean and not boxy or overly bass-heavy which I greatly appreciate. It's there, and if your chain renders it, you'll have it when needed. Quite nice. But the smoked glass gives me that extra roundness in the mid bass that I liked about the Raytheon.

So what about smoked glass mids? Nice and smooth and clean and pleasant - only way I know now to put it. Good decay but the staging? That's where everything changes. Much more precise in both left/ right placement AND depth is far more with the smoked glass than the clear glass. This now starts to approach the best of any tube I've heard in pure depth and the precision of placement. Is it the "best" that I've heard? Don't know - takes some time to decide and I've only had a few days with it but I'm leaning that way. Definitely beyond the clear glass (and absolutely beyond the Raytheon that can't do what the clear glass does in staging). Worth noting that I'm not sure how much of that will come through w/ the Lyr+ - it is in fact the other major difference I find w/ the Burson and why I have my chain setup that way. The Lyr+ can't render the same, and I haven't checked to see how much of that difference is viable w/ the Lyr+ alone (because at this point I don't care anymore, it doesn't compare and I'm too lazy to spend the time going through all that).

Overall, the smoked glass VT-231 Ken-Rad gives me, "the best of many worlds" all in one tube. I've avoided other reviews specifically because I don't want to taint my perception though I'm aware some have stated the same. Of course a lot depends on what you like and how you listen, your gear and whether it's compatible, if you care about staging and/ or can hear it or look for it. For me and my chain, absolutely no question different. Voice layering is more prominent as well.

The other thing, electric guitars somehow bite in a way that few other tubes render, and I absolutely love that. I did NOT expect that on the freq response characteristics alone, and it's kind of mindblowing how that works (clearly not a linear reality here at all).

For me, the smoked glass VT-231 really is the, "best" of what I've heard. I haven't delved into NOS Tung Sols and will probably eventually. But for now, RCA/ Sylvania, Raytheon and new EH/ Tung Sol, the black glass takes the cake for me in almost every musical genre. Is it worth the insane prices? I got my for $100 through an unfamiliar seller out of Europe and figured I'd gamble. Think I came up a winner on it - which I didn't expect. Law of averages - my luck had to even up at some point...

Jun 8, 2023 at 1:20 AM Post #5,142 of 5,226
Did that. I learned to put up with it. I'm not going to pare my manhood down for anyone.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #5,143 of 5,226
Geez!! When I confided in you about my first marriage, you promised to keep it between us. :rolling_eyes:

Jun 8, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #5,144 of 5,226
Jun 8, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #5,145 of 5,226
Geez!! When I confided in you about my first marriage, you promised to keep it between us. :rolling_eyes:
Oh, my bust. Sorry. I thought the shrieker was your 4th marriage. I should pay more attention. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back