Schiit LISST Impressions
Oct 23, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #61 of 116
I received my LISSTs today and let them warm up for a couple of hours in my LYr2 before doing any listening. I've spent the last hour or so listening with HD-598s and So far i'm not impressed. Very flat and boring like another poster mentioned. I'm going to let them play continuously for a few days since I may not get back to them until this weekend and then i'll try some other headphones. Hopefully they just need some break in or this may be the first Schiit product i've ever returned. I do really like how much cooler the Lyr runs with them though. I wasn't expecting them to sound as good as tubes, but if they turn out to be even close I'll keep them.

Hello, any change since you've posted?

Oct 23, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #62 of 116

I received my LISSTs today and let them warm up for a couple of hours in my LYr2 before doing any listening. I've spent the last hour or so listening with HD-598s and So far i'm not impressed. Very flat and boring like another poster mentioned. I'm going to let them play continuously for a few days since I may not get back to them until this weekend and then i'll try some other headphones. Hopefully they just need some break in or this may be the first Schiit product i've ever returned. I do really like how much cooler the Lyr runs with them though. I wasn't expecting them to sound as good as tubes, but if they turn out to be even close I'll keep them.

Hello, any change since you've posted?

I'll have to do some more listening, but I decided to drop my old Gold Aero tubes back in it because I wanted the amp all happy before my upgraded Bifrost arrives. When I started listening with the tubes again I didn't get the magic back that I had been hearing before. So no big difference between the two like I had thought. The amp had been on for a few days when I swapped from the LISSTs to tubes, only being powered down for less than a minute.

So there may be a few things going on here..
1. Maybe the LISSTS aren't that bad and have broken in a bit.
2. Maybe the tubes I put back in are towards the end of their life and aren't optimal.
3. Maybe I've been having some bad ear days, whether real or psychological.

I'll keep the LISSTs. If for no other reason than I could just leave the amp powered up 24/7. I'm going to drop in some Orange Globes tonight and leave them in while I listen to my upgraded Bifrost for a while (was supposed to arrive yesterday but I missed the fedEx guy). Once I get a feel for the Bifrost Multibit, I'll go back to LISSTs in the Lyr 2 to see what I think of them then.

Oct 23, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #63 of 116

I'll have to do some more listening, but I decided to drop my old Gold Aero tubes back in it because I wanted the amp all happy before my upgraded Bifrost arrives. When I started listening with the tubes again I didn't get the magic back that I had been hearing before. So no big difference between the two like I had thought. The amp had been on for a few days when I swapped from the LISSTs to tubes, only being powered down for less than a minute.

So there may be a few things going on here..
1. Maybe the LISSTS aren't that bad and have broken in a bit.
2. Maybe the tubes I put back in are towards the end of their life and aren't optimal.
3. Maybe I've been having some bad ear days, whether real or psychological.

I'll keep the LISSTs. If for no other reason than I could just leave the amp powered up 24/7. I'm going to drop in some Orange Globes tonight and leave them in while I listen to my upgraded Bifrost for a while (was supposed to arrive yesterday but I missed the fedEx guy). Once I get a feel for the Bifrost Multibit, I'll go back to LISSTs in the Lyr 2 to see what I think of them then.

Like you, I think the LISST sound fine.  I have some really nice tubes as well and I can honestly say I can go either way and be happy.  It is rather nice not having to worry about tube life and warm up times.

Oct 26, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #64 of 116
I still think that the change from stock tubes to LISST wasn't a big difference sound-wise. At first I thought the stock tubes lowered the treble energy (compared to straight from Apogee Duet's HP out) a bit with my LCD's, I haven't noticed this with the LISST's.

Anyhoo, the Duet DAC, Lyr 2 with LISST's and the Audezes sound simply awesome. I'm going through my record collection with my jaw on the floor. :)

And some people say LCD-2's have little soundstage - I couldn't disagree more. Some bright hp's throw the soundstage in your face yeah, but that's kind of faking it :)

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #65 of 116
By the way, my Lyr 2 runs much, much cooler with the LISST's than the stock tubes. It's slightly warm when touched vs kind of hot with the tubes.

Oct 29, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #66 of 116
  By the way, my Lyr 2 runs much, much cooler with the LISST's than the stock tubes. It's slightly warm when touched vs kind of hot with the tubes.

I agree. This is the main reason I'm keeping them.

I have the LISST's back in my Lyr 2 and have been leaving the amp on all the time. I'm starting to not hate the sound like when I first got them. They still don't sound as good as the stock tubes, but I think they're 90% there. I've got about 30 hrs music time through mine so far.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #68 of 116
Anyone have any trouble with a Lisst Tube?   I lost a channel in my month old MJ2 last night and have narrowed down the culprit to one of the Lissts.  The MJ2 is working fine with the "real tubes" that Schiit ships.  What exactly is inside the Lissts?  What can go wrong?  I will be contacting Schiit tomorrow but your thoughts would be appreciated.

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #69 of 116
  Anyone have any trouble with a Lisst Tube?   I lost a channel in my month old MJ2 last night and have narrowed down the culprit to one of the Lissts.  The MJ2 is working fine with the "real tubes" that Schiit ships.  What exactly is inside the Lissts?  What can go wrong?  I will be contacting Schiit tomorrow but your thoughts would be appreciated.

I'd say it's likely just a defective part in there.  It's all solid state and sealed up, so not really much you can do except exchange it with another one.

On a side note, I'm still happy with my LISST purchase.  I like to swap them in the rotation occasionally.  I get bored of my tubes sometimes and the LISST let me try something different for a bit.  Sometimes I just want that crisp, dry, yet airy sound the LISST have (I know, I'm weird).  I like solid state just as much as tubes, but tube rolling is quite fun and keeps everything fresh when I pop in a new set or one I haven't listened to for a while.  

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #73 of 116
HI 

I just got my LISST tubes yesterday.  How long to burn in?  100 hours.  Plus it makes my Lyr 2 run much cooler.  So?  Is the LISST have less gain or the biasing isnt class a anymore?  I know the tubes themselves dont have heater elements.  But the output amps are cooler.  Normally all my class stuff runs really hot.  Which is normal.  Now my amp is barely warm.  

It sound like Solid state.  Honestly ive changed phones recently and the LISST so everything is different.  They sound very neutral and very SS is a good way.  Ill compare againist my asgard 2 after 100 hours.

musicguy

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #74 of 116
  I just ordered a pair of LISSTs for my brand new Lyr 2. Basically, I was looking for an SS-amp from the start, but was curious about tube-tones and all that. It's an excellent idea from Schiit to be able switch around like this between SS and tubes.

I've listened to the stock Lyr 2 with LCD-2.1s and HD600s for a few days, the "tube sound" seems quite nice to me. My only slight gripe is the softer treble vs. my old Apogee Duet's HP-out. We shall see if the LISSTs rectify this minor problem.

Sorry about my english, I'm from Scandinavia :)

Small Off-Topic, but since you mentioned the Apogee... Is the Apogee Duet capable of driving the LCD-2s. Is the Lyr 2 worth the upgrade from proaudio gear like RME or Apogee?

Dec 25, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #75 of 116
Let me ask you guys something about the sound:

Some people have said they sound boring or flat compared to tubes. Is it that they sound bad, or is it that they are *not coloring the music* and we just like to the coloring the tubes were doing?

I would like to be able to switch between a colored tube sound and more pure/accurate/transparent sound with the same amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back