Schiit LISST Impressions
Aug 26, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 116
    Thanks Thurston, I did indeed read that, and was/am looking for more impressions, especially after the LISST's have been burning in for a bit longer...(assuming that they might continue to burn-in for in excess of an hour), though, that they did improve significantly within an hour, that suggests there may be more there...still all ears here...

I heard no difference with them myself after burning in or warming up, I think they're pretty stable. 

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 116
I recently got the LISST tubes. Definitely presents sound differently than tubes. Pretty much confirms my belief of what differentiates the tube sound from SS sound. Tubes image different and sound more holographic and 3D. I would say tonality-wise they sound quite similar to my bugle boy tubes. I think I still like tubes more, but it is nice having the different presentation of the LISST tubes. I think I'll keep them.

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #19 of 116
  After spending more time with them, I'm just going to stick with tubes. I guess I can't go back from the tube sound, tubes sound cleaner and more natural to my ears.

I feel the same way although the LISST is a really cool invention and also they're a no-brainer for those who might want to switch between SS and tubes on a regular basis. They're certainly the easiest way to do that that I've seen. 

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 116

I feel the same way although the LISST is a really cool invention and also their a no-brainer for those who might want to switch between SS and tubes on a regular basis. They're certainly the easiest way to do that that I've seen. 

They are a cool invention. Yes, it is nice switching between SS and tube so easily and adds extra versatility to the Lyr 2. I'll likely keep them, but maybe not.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 116
  Great to hear your impressions regarding the LISST's vs. the tubes they replaced.  Now, could you compare the Lyr or Lyr 2 outfitted with the LISST's with the Schiit Audio Asgard or Asguard 2 amplifiers?  Just wondering if there is much of a difference, other than the Lyr(2) would possess greater driving power for headphones...

Thank you for your input!

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 116
Received my LISST set for my Lyr 2 yesterday.  I'm quite satisfied with them.  They give the Lyr a satisfying, crisp sound that I personally find enjoyable when paired with my LCD 2Fs.  Excellent low bass extension, very clean, and they seem to do something wonderful for the highs on the LCDs.  I have the feeling they might seem a bit harsh if you're coming from a tube and still expecting a tube sound from the LISST.  They're most definitely solid state.  Nothing wrong with a good solid state amp.  Especially a powerful one like the Lyr 2.

I have some '75 Reflektor HGs that I normally run in my Lyr 2, and I dare say I might like the LISST a bit more, depending on the music.

It's great to have this new option.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #23 of 116
  Dear Astral Abyss:

Thanks for your input...nice to know that the Lyr series amplifiers do indeed work well with the LISST's, wondering if by, "a satisfying crisp sound", they tend to decrease/eliminate any "tube generated upper bass, lower to mid-midrange warmth/lushness", as well as accentuate the high frequencies...(relative to your '75 Reflektor HG's,...), and then, since I have only used the standard/stock issue tubes that originally came with my Lyr, how do your '75 Reflektor HG's, sound relative to the Schiit Audio issued, default standard/stock tubes(?), as those tubes/their sound is my reference point...and I was happy with that sound...

Peace/Namaste,
    T.A.K. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #24 of 116
I posted my listening impressions of LISST over in another thread, in case anyone reading here is interested:

Sweet thanks for your impressions on Schiit LISST as well as the Mjolnir 2. The Mjolnir 2's 8 watts of balanced power does ever so tempt me. I hope you have a good time, jamming out with your new rig.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #25 of 116
Sweet thanks for your impressions on Schiit LISST as well as the Mjolnir 2. The Mjolnir 2's 8 watts of balanced power does ever so tempt me. I hope you have a good time, jamming out with your new rig.

Man, you're a serious Schiithead...
wink.gif
 (we need T-shirts).  I mean that in the best possible way!  I'm just a little schiit by comparison, though I do enjoy my Stack o' Schiit.  I'm impressed with the amount of Schiit you own.  I think you need to work with Schiit; maybe open up an east coast Schiit Shop/distribution hub.

Enjoy your Schiit 
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #26 of 116
Man, you're a serious Schiithead... :wink:  (we need T-shirts).  I mean that in the best possible way!  I'm just a little schiit by comparison, though I do enjoy my Stack o' Schiit.  I'm impressed with the amount of Schiit you own.  I think you need to work with Schiit; maybe open up an east coast Schiit Shop/distribution hub.

Enjoy your Schiit :beerchug:

Thanks for the compliment ThurstonX. I have thought of creating a boutique headphone auditioning studio, or a small headphone shop. But I have never ran a business, must take baby steps.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #27 of 116
Thanks for the compliment ThurstonX. I have thought of creating a boutique headphone auditioning studio, or a small headphone shop. But I have never ran a business, must take baby steps.

ALO Audio tried this in Portland, and failed. He had a headphone only shop called 32Ohm. I'm not even sure it lasted one year. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #28 of 116
ALO Audio tried this in Portland, and failed. He had a headphone only shop called 32Ohm. I'm not even sure it lasted one year. 

Yea I have read about other such ventures going under. The business model does not seem to support itself for long.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #29 of 116
    Dear Astral Abyss:

Thanks for your input...nice to know that the Lyr series amplifiers do indeed work well with the LISST's, wondering if by, "a satisfying crisp sound", they tend to decrease/eliminate any "tube generated upper bass, lower to mid-midrange warmth/lushness", as well as accentuate the high frequencies...(relative to your '75 Reflektor HG's,...), and then, since I have only used the standard/stock issue tubes that originally came with my Lyr, how do your '75 Reflektor HG's, sound relative to the Schiit Audio issued, default standard/stock tubes(?), as those tubes/their sound is my reference point...and I was happy with that sound...

Peace/Namaste,
    T.A.K. 

I would agree with your statement above.  I'm by no means an expert at describing what I'm hearing though.  The '75 Reflektors already have good, deep bass without the boominess a lot of tubes have and their midrange is excellent as well.  The LISST duplicate that sound quite well, but I wouldn't say that the LISST necessarily accentuate high frequencies.  They just don't attenuate them.  Some people like the high frequencies recessed a bit to avoid harshness or fatigue, but with the LCD 2s already doing this for me, the LISST are perfect.

What you're going to get with the LISST though is a very clear sound, which a lot of people describe as digital and they don't like.  I do like it though, so that may make me more of a solid state guy at heart.  I think if you're a basshead or you like music with synthesizers or keyboards you'll love the LISST.  If you listen to more music with acoustic instruments you'll likely prefer the sound of your stock tubes, as tubes do make instruments sound more natural.  I don't know what to tell you about voices though.  I can't really ever tell much of a difference between tubes when it comes to human voices.

My stock tubes were RCA 6BQ7As, made in Mexico, and I don't want to say too much about them, other than they sounded fine for stock and definitely had a nice tubey sound.  If you look up rb2013s review and testing of the Reflektors against other tubes you'll probably get a better idea of how they sound compared to others than what I can describe.

By the way, I was curious what other type of tubes sounded like aside from the standard 6DJ8/6922, so I picked up some RCA 6BZ7 tubes from 1966/1967 off ebay for super cheap.  They sound great.  I like them better than the stock tubes.  For $8 you might want to try some also.  You can get them from 1950s cheap as well if you're curious about how the older tubes sound.

Edit:  By the way, I realize 6BZ7 and 6BQ7A are basically the same tube, but I wanted to see what RCAs of a known year and made in USA were like compared to my stock tubes.

Sep 2, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #30 of 116
Well my Schiit LISST arrived today. First thing that I noticed was that they feel hefty for their size. Surprised me actually after being used to glass. I pulled my 6N23P's and dropped these right in. Since I was on my lunch hour I was only able to give these a brief listen with my HE-400is. My Lyr wasn't even warm yet, but early impressions are thumbs up! Plenty of slam and detail on the few tracks that I tried. My volume setting seemed higher than needed with the 6N23Ps. It was hovering around 11 to 12 on the dial. I'm very much looking forward to trying my HD600s and Sextetts with these,

More impressions to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back