Schiit LISST Impressions
Aug 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 116

Oklahoma

100+ Head-Fier
So I know there are impressions starting to filter in on some of the Schiit tube rolling threads but not everyone is going to want to thumb through 4 different threads to find impressions on these.

My initial impressions:

WOW!

Been running these in my Lyr 2 for most of the evening and cannot find a fault or something I dislike with them.  As stated they are solid state so no added warmth or coloration like with tubes.  Compared to my Tesla e88cc tubes these are much more detailed. The tubes have a more forward mid section and the LISST are flat, nothing sticks out.  The bass is punchy and defined with all the details there whereas the Tesla's have more overall omph and lots of detail but causes some of the upper sparkle to be lost.  With the LISST that sparkle is there and even on the HD800's it isn't overwhelming.

As Schiit stated they don't run cool but they don't run as hot as tubes.  The Lyr 2 runs a lot cooler overall.

Gear:
Source - Creative Sound Blaster Z (mostly) or a Schiit Modi
Amp - Lyr 2
Headphones - Sennheiser HD800

Aug 19, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 116
Thanks for the early review.  I guess this adds SS as one of the "tube" rolling options.
I'll order a pair just for the comparison.  I'm running Upscale Audio matched cryo Telefunken E88CCs and love the clarity and depth. This should be interesting

Aug 20, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 116
One minor complaint with my LISST's - one is slightly higher than the other. It's probably about 1/8", if that. It's not the amp since I removed both of them and placed them on a flat surface.

Very minor issue though. They sound great to me. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 116
  Thanks for the early review.  I guess this adds SS as one of the "tube" rolling options.
I'll order a pair just for the comparison.  I'm running Upscale Audio matched cryo Telefunken E88CCs and love the clarity and depth. This should be interesting

I'm looking forward to this one 
popcorn.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 116
subscribed

looking forward to read reviews of this great product!
what an idea...

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #6 of 116
Have not burned in and I don't know if they need it but so far they have a neutral presentation. Sounds kind of dull and flat compared to my '75 Relectors. Less detail, air, layers, and less extended bass and treble and definitely less 3D definitely.  Sounds better than stock tubes but falls below the higher end tubes. Will see if they change.
Hope so. 

After an hour of burn in....Beginning to open up...more open, detailed and treble extension....definitely better than budget tubes or mid fi tubes.  

As solid state goes, it's neutral and so far smooth. Doesn't sound bright, edgy or strident. Maybe a little warmth. 

Aug 25, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 116
We should probably be comparing them to solid state amps, not tubes. They are always gonna be quite different animals. 

But I wonder for example of the MJ2 with LISST's sounds the same as the original solid state MJ?

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 116
  Have not burned in and I don't know if they need it but so far they have a neutral presentation. Sounds kind of dull and flat compared to my '75 Relectors. Less detail, air, layers, and less extended bass and treble and definitely less 3D definitely.  Sounds better than stock tubes but falls below the higher end tubes. Will see if they change.
Hope so. 

After an hour of burn in....Beginning to open up...more open, detailed and treble extension....definitely better than budget tubes or mid fi tubes.  

As solid state goes, it's neutral and so far smooth. Doesn't sound bright, edgy or strident. Maybe a little warmth. 

thanks for the feedback

Please, let us know on the future development!

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 116
I posted my listening impressions of LISST over in another thread, in case anyone reading here is interested:

I'm really enjoying the Mjolnir 2 a lot so far.

I've been listening for the past almost week with the LISST's installed. It sounds really nice; dynamic and detailed without being overly bright. Neutral, which is what Schiit was going for with them. They succeeded. It will be interesting in the future if they come out with ones that perhaps are tuned differently to perhaps mimic tubes or provide a darker signature. 

The amp seems to have plenty of power to drive my LCD-3's well, which I run balanced-sounds amazing. My powered speakers only have RCA ins so I've been using the Mjolnir 2 single ended preamp out. It sounds very good, but I'm certain would be better if using the balanced outs.

I generally prefer tubes however and the Mjolinir 2 sounds sublime that way (with some 1969 Holland Amperex Orange Globes). Directly comparing the tubes with the LISST's, with the tubes (as you would expect), mids and lower mids are more pronounced, with an overall smoother signature and slightly less dynamics. I find I can listen longer with tubes than with solid state, probably because the highs are a bit more nuanced rather than in your face. The power of the Mjonir 2 running balanced, combined with the tubes really make for a smooth and engaging experience. 

In the end, the LISST's seem sorta like a beer whereas the tubes are like a glass of wine. If you drink, you probably feel that both are nice at times, but you will typically have a preference.  

Aug 25, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #11 of 116
  I posted my listening impressions of LISST over in another thread, in case anyone reading here is interested:

As a french, i will stick to wine!

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 116
  Both my Asgard 2, as well as my Lyr have been "mothballed" since my Ragnarok arrived back in May '15...however, I would love to have at least one powerhouse of an amp. available for another room that I don't have to be concerned about should I fall asleep listening...(not that the Asgard 2 isn't very respectable in the least)...however, a tubeless Lyr might be the best of those worlds for me...although Schiit Audio's little statement regarding the LISST's being slightly noisier than tubes, (I am guessing the defaul/stock tubes that were originally sold with it), has me a touch concerned regarding the usefulness of the LISST's... 

Currently, the only headphones I might be driving with my Lyr,, (original model), are the Sennheiser HD-650's, V-MODA M-100's, and possibly a pair of Audeze LCD 2.2's (pre-fazor)...

Based on current experience, (pun intended...), would the noise floor of the new LISST's be problematic with my cans(?)...or is that concern regarding noise floor only relating to rather high efficiency headphones, (very low impedance and/or IEM's...?

Along with that, anyone willing to provide feedback on how the LISST's sound relative to the "stock" Lyr/Lyr 2 tubes?  Oh, and how long does it appear that the LISST's take to FULLY burn-in/maximally improve sound-wise?

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #14 of 116

Along with that, anyone willing to provide feedback on how the LISST's sound relative to the "stock" Lyr/Lyr 2 tubes?  Oh, and how long does it appear that the LISST's take to FULLY burn-in/maximally improve sound-wise?

Post #6, this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778326/schiit-lisst-impressions#post_11866208

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #15 of 116
  Thanks Thurston, I did indeed read that, and was/am looking for more impressions, especially after the LISST's have been burning in for a bit longer...(assuming that they might continue to burn-in for in excess of an hour), though, that they did improve significantly within an hour, that suggests there may be more there...still all ears here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back