Schiit LISST Impressions
Sep 2, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #31 of 116
Well my Schiit LISST arrived today. First thing that I noticed was that they feel hefty for their size. Surprised me actually after being used to glass. I pulled my 6N23P's and dropped these right in. Since I was on my lunch hour I was only able to give these a brief listen with my HE-400is. My Lyr wasn't even warm yet, but early impressions are thumbs up! Plenty of slam and detail on the few tracks that I tried. My volume setting seemed higher than needed with the 6N23Ps. It was hovering around 11 to 12 on the dial. I'm very much looking forward to trying my HD600s and Sextetts with these,

More impressions to follow.

thanks for your impression.

looking forward to read more!

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #32 of 116
Another observation I have made is that these run cooler than any of my glass. After being on for 8 hours the volume knob on my Lyr was slightly warm to touch but not anywhere near as warm as it can get. My HD600s sounded great with these. I didn't feel anything lacking from my listening experience. There have been no noise issues with either of the 2 cans I have tried so far, and I doubt there will be with the Sextetts when I get around to trying them. Just a real nice clean sound.

Sep 7, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #33 of 116
Any thoughts on the bass response and extension of the LISSTs? I plan on trying them in a Lyr that usually runs '74 Reflektors or '75 Voskhod Rockets. With HD600s or Beyer DT-770s.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #34 of 116
I think you're on to something there. My MJ2 arrived today and although I've decided to start burning in with the stock tubes I measured my LISST's after reading your comment. One tube (not measuring the pins) is about 1/8" or so longer than the other. I wonder if theres an underlying design reason. Their QC seems to be pretty good in my experience. 

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #35 of 116
It is probably just machining tolerances.  Like they will specify the case is 2.5in with +/- 1/16in so they can be anywhere from 2 7/16" to 2 9/16' in size and you just ended up with ones that hit each extreme.  Mine are the same size.  They should be made with a punch, and then a press to make the tube shape from the punched disk and then trimmed to length so the only variance will be in the trimmed length as the press die won't change size.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #36 of 116
That makes sense. I sent the good folks at Schiit an e-mail just out of curiosity but I wouldn't be surprised if they respond with the answer you just proposed. I'll share their answer when I hear back. Cheers!

Sep 11, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #37 of 116
I just ordered a pair of LISSTs for my brand new Lyr 2. Basically, I was looking for an SS-amp from the start, but was curious about tube-tones and all that. It's an excellent idea from Schiit to be able switch around like this between SS and tubes.

I've listened to the stock Lyr 2 with LCD-2.1s and HD600s for a few days, the "tube sound" seems quite nice to me. My only slight gripe is the softer treble vs. my old Apogee Duet's HP-out. We shall see if the LISSTs rectify this minor problem.

Sorry about my english, I'm from Scandinavia :)

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #38 of 116
  I just ordered a pair of LISSTs for my brand new Lyr 2. Basically, I was looking for an SS-amp from the start, but was curious about tube-tones and all that. It's an excellent idea from Schiit to be able switch around like this between SS and tubes.

I've listened to the stock Lyr 2 with LCD-2.1s and HD600s for a few days, the "tube sound" seems quite nice to me. My only slight gripe is the softer treble vs. my old Apogee Duet's HP-out. We shall see if the LISSTs rectify this minor problem.

Sorry about my english, I'm from Scandinavia :)

I've been really happy with the LISST.  It definitely has more treble sparkle than the stock tubes.  I think they give the LCD 2s the perfect sound using the Lyr2.

Looks like we have a similar setup.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #39 of 116
So the official line from Schiit is, "Because the LISST are hand-built there can be some slight discrepancies between tubes". 

I knew that being Schiit products they were made in the US, but didn't realize they are constructed by hand. 

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #40 of 116
I don't think it's the can size itself that has a height discrepancy, but rather the epoxy assembly of what is put into the can. In other words, the pins may just stick out a little bit further in some LISST tubes than others.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #41 of 116

I've been really happy with the LISST.  It definitely has more treble sparkle than the stock tubes.  I think they give the LCD 2s the perfect sound using the Lyr2.

Looks like we have a similar setup.

That's very cool to hear, pretty much what I'm looking for. Apogee Duet seems to have a very good DAC in itself, no need for promotion there. Lyr takes care of the rest, nice.

Sep 11, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #43 of 116
Upon (closer) re-examination I think that you're correct. The assembly itself may have slightly more sealant causing the height discrepancy. At any rate I can't discern any audible flaws with my set so I won't be sending them back for replacement as Schiit offered. 

Sep 12, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #44 of 116

These were my first set of LISSTs. I sent the picture to Schiit and they replaced both tubes. The new ones have a little clear epoxy on both, so the big glob on one and the total absence on the other are both wrong. Just FYI.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #45 of 116

These were my first set of LISSTs. I sent the picture to Schiit and they replaced both tubes. The new ones have a little clear epoxy on both, so the big glob on one and the total absence on the other are both wrong. Just FYI.

Thanks for the photo.  I reckon they'll get their schiit together in terms of quality control.

What do you think of their sound, compared to what tubes, and with which cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back