Schiit LISST Impressions
Sep 12, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #46 of 116
I use them at work in my Lyr 2, and since I can't turn the sound up on my office speakers they sound fine that way. Nice bottom end, good sound across the spectrum.

They sound good with my HE-560s, but not as good as my Amperex tubes. The Amperex give the 560s a little bottom end boost while taming a bit of the excess treble energy those cans can have. The LISST just present the music and let you deal with it.

I tried them in my MJ2 at home and they had a flatter soundstage than tubes. The music seems to be pushed back against the wall instead of extending out from it. The sound quality is fine, but the immersion doesn't match tubes, which is about what I expected.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #47 of 116

These were my first set of LISSTs. I sent the picture to Schiit and they replaced both tubes. The new ones have a little clear epoxy on both, so the big glob on one and the total absence on the other are both wrong. Just FYI.

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder how did those get pass Schiit when they pack the order.

Sep 12, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #48 of 116
  I use them at work in my Lyr 2, and since I can't turn the sound up on my office speakers they sound fine that way. Nice bottom end, good sound across the spectrum.

They sound good with my HE-560s, but not as good as my Amperex tubes. The Amperex give the 560s a little bottom end boost while taming a bit of the excess treble energy those cans can have. The LISST just present the music and let you deal with it.

I tried them in my MJ2 at home and they had a flatter soundstage than tubes. The music seems to be pushed back against the wall instead of extending out from it. The sound quality is fine, but the immersion doesn't match tubes, which is about what I expected.

Interesting.  Now that my Lyr is acting as a preamp to a SS speaker amp (not exclusively, of course), I'm less inclined to try these, esp. as the HE-560s are my main cans, and I've got an entire Glass Menagerie to roll through.
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #49 of 116

These were my first set of LISSTs. I sent the picture to Schiit and they replaced both tubes. The new ones have a little clear epoxy on both, so the big glob on one and the total absence on the other are both wrong. Just FYI.

Both of mine looked like the one on the right, however, one still sat higher than the other both in the amp and when placed side by side on a flat table. Not a huge issue, just sorta annoying. They should at least supply a pair that match in height.

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #50 of 116
I've been listening to the LSSTs in the Lyr 2 for a couple of weeks now so I think I'e given enough audition time for some initial thoughts.
I've spent most of the time ahead of getting the LSSTs with a set of Telefunken E88CC Cryos and the difference from tube to SS seems quite profound to my ears.  I felt the E88CCs deliver a sweet but precise sound that nicely extended the highs to brighten my LCD-2.2fs.  The LSST set continues this extension into ranges I've never perceived with the tubes. I'm not sure if it's better in terms of my listening preferences but it is something I want to spend more time evaluating in terms of basic approach.  Originally I was looking for the type of sound delivered by MacIntosh (not the computer) and other traditional andiophile brands.  Now I'm not so sure.  To be continued.
BTW: My set of LSST arrived perfectly and had no cosmetic or quality issues.

Sep 25, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #51 of 116
Would these LISST tubes be better suited to the LCD-2F's because they're a warmer sounding headphone? It would kind of even the sound out, if you know what I mean.

Sep 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #52 of 116
  Would these LISST tubes be better suited to the LCD-2F's because they're a warmer sounding headphone? It would kind of even the sound out, if you know what I mean.

Yes, it really does.  I feel it's a good pairing.

Sep 29, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #53 of 116
Just trying out the LISSTs now in my Lyr2 with LCD-2.2f's.

I'm hearing more detail than the stock tubes and feel like it's better quality.
But it's not as comfortable sounding there's more treble details.

Like the LISSTs are smart pair of shoes and the tubes are comfy trainers!

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #54 of 116
Excellent to hear your impressions. Seems like the LISST tubes are suited for more critical listening sessions. 

How did you find the bass - does it extend lower and more cleaner or do you detect no change?

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #55 of 116
  Excellent to hear your impressions. Seems like the LISST tubes are suited for more critical listening sessions. 

How did you find the bass - does it extend lower and more cleaner or do you detect no change?

My ears are not quite good enough to tell greatly but seems more detailed and maybe not so bassy.

However that might be because they've been running for a few hours and i've adjusted the Graphic Equilizer after getting my LCD-2 chart from Audeze.

Sep 30, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #57 of 116
  Just curious, how did you equalise your headphones?

When I got my chart from Audeze I put it into photoshop, marked the top and bottom peaks and highlighted the medium point between them.

Then in Foobar2000 using the Graphic Equilizer pluggin I adjusted it using the medium point as the "0".

Not done this before so might have mucked it up some where along the line but sounds ok.

If anyone wants to crit this btw feel free. Could always use some advice.

[edit]
Either I mucked this up or I just don't like neutral sound because turning the EQ on and off I actually prefer it off!
Just sounds too flat at these levels....

Oct 11, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #58 of 116
Just installed the LISST's and replaced the stock tubes this week.

So, I've had a couple of days trying them out. I have to say, both of them sound great - to be more specific, the LCD-2 sounds great from both.

There was this slight treble cut with the stock tubes, that is gone. Basically I'm back to the overall sound sig from my Apogee Duet HP amp, but with a bit more soundstage (and better bass with HD600's).

The Lyr is not going to make a night/day difference if you have something ok to plug into, I think. It's mostly about the headphone.

Oct 20, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #59 of 116
I received my LISSTs today and let them warm up for a couple of hours in my LYr2 before doing any listening. I've spent the last hour or so listening with HD-598s and So far i'm not impressed. Very flat and boring like another poster mentioned. I'm going to let them play continuously for a few days since I may not get back to them until this weekend and then i'll try some other headphones. Hopefully they just need some break in or this may be the first Schiit product i've ever returned. I do really like how much cooler the Lyr runs with them though. I wasn't expecting them to sound as good as tubes, but if they turn out to be even close I'll keep them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back