Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 24, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #5,125 of 6,472
I was thinking of getting a Valhalla 2 to use with my HD600/650/800S headphones. I currently am using a Jot and Bimby, both which I plan to keep. Rather than swapping cables from the Bimby to the two preamps, I plan to chain the two but my question is what order would be best: Jot -> Valhalla or Valhall to Jot.

I'll experiment when I get the Valhalla 2, but I was curious if anyone else has experience with chaining these two amps.

Dec 24, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #5,126 of 6,472
I was thinking of getting a Valhalla 2 to use with my HD600/650/800S headphones. I currently am using a Jot and Bimby, both which I plan to keep. Rather than swapping cables from the Bimby to the two preamps, I plan to chain the two but my question is what order would be best: Jot -> Valhalla or Valhall to Jot.

I'll experiment when I get the Valhalla 2, but I was curious if anyone else has experience with chaining these two amps.
You don't have to swap cables, you could use RCA splitters to send Bimby's output to both amps at the same time (great for A/B testing, too), or use a SYS in reverse (with its volume turned up all the way) to switch outputs.
Otherwise, you should just try and see what works best for you, it's easy to switch after all. My hunch is that Valhalla to Jot makes more sense than the other way around, since you're effectively mimicking a tube/solid state hybrid at that point (I think the tubes in hybrids are used in the gain stage, which is then amplified by the solid state part, but I'm not sure).

Dec 24, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #5,127 of 6,472
You don't have to swap cables, you could use RCA splitters to send Bimby's output to both amps at the same time (great for A/B testing, too), or use a SYS in reverse (with its volume turned up all the way) to switch outputs.
Otherwise, you should just try and see what works best for you, it's easy to switch after all. My hunch is that Valhalla to Jot makes more sense than the other way around, since you're effectively mimicking a tube/solid state hybrid at that point (I think the tubes in hybrids are used in the gain stage, which is then amplified by the solid state part, but I'm not sure).
That’s how I have mine set up but with a Mimby/Sys/Lyr2/Jot. Works like a charm. Quick push of a button on Sys, input of HP cable into other amp and you’re ready to rock and roll. Sys runs you $49 plus a couple sets of RCA cables if needed. Of course as stated above, a splitter will work too and is a whole lot cheaper but I like the esthetics and ergonomics. I absolutely love this set-up as it’s really convenient. It’s great for A/B’ing amps, certain tracks and especially checking out different tubes.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #5,128 of 6,472
That’s how I have mine set up but with a Mimby/Sys/Lyr2/Jot. Works like a charm. Quick push of a button on Sys, input of HP cable into other amp and you’re ready to rock and roll. Sys runs you $49 plus a couple sets of RCA cables if needed. Of course as stated above, a splitter will work too and is a whole lot cheaper but I like the esthetics and ergonomics. I absolutely love this set-up as it’s really convenient. It’s great for A/B’ing amps, certain tracks and especially checking out different tubes.

I was looking at both the Lyr and Jot for my next amp to pair with HD650s and TH-X00s, which do you think you use the most with those HPs?

Dec 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #5,129 of 6,472
I use the Jot so sparingly ever since I got the LYR2. I have so many different tubes to roll that enables me to change the sound to whatever mood I happen to be in at that time and for my many other HP’s.

I love the LYR2 with the TH-X00 Purplehearts because I can tame the treble to a level I’m comfortable with if I’m tired and fatigued. I can actually get some more punch and slam with a specific tube even though this is a very strong HP with bass and I can also bring the mids more forward.

I’ve just become a real fan of tubes but still like the Jot A LOT with the 650 as it’s a brighter amp. They both serve their purpose as it’s just a matter of taste. The 650 sounds sublime with the right tube. That’s why I have both but always seem to power up the LYR2 first and foremost.

Schiit also has their return policy so if you don’t like one of them, you can return it within 30 days?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back