Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 25, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #5,133 of 6,469
Do you (the people in this forum) think the actual headphone amp section of the JOT is good enough to justify pairing it with a high end (expensive) DAC, like the Chord 2Qute?
Yes. However, as with any headphone amp you should really be looking at how well it pairs with your headphone, rather than the DAC.

Note that on the relative scale of audiophile equipment, 2Qute isn't high end, more like mid-level. Among Chord's DAC products, it is actually towards their lower end.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2017 at 7:53 AM Post #5,134 of 6,469
Do you (the people in this forum) think the actual headphone amp section of the JOT is good enough to justify pairing it with a high end (expensive) DAC, like the Chord 2Qute?

Yes, I use my Jot with Yggdrasil (balanced) and HD650 (balanced), but I did replace the standard power cable of the Jot with a 14awg (or, thicker) so that the bass extends a lot deeper.

Dec 25, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #5,135 of 6,469
In my experience, absolutely. For a while, I was really enjoying Holo Spring KTE 3>Jot>MrSpeakers Ether C Flow. To improve slightly on that with solid-state amplification, I had to go 3x price with a Neurochrome HP-1. Honestly, I could have stayed really happy with the Jot if I had not been able to borrow an HP-1 to do extensive side-by-side comparisons. But note that I listen mostly to well-recorded modern jazz, modern classical, Iberian/Mediterranean medieval and Renaissance, Baroque, West African music, mostly acoustic, and the relative warmth of the Holo Spring in NOS mode is as far along that axis as I care to go. Other listeners find the Jot too forward and much prefer warmer amps.

Dec 25, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #5,136 of 6,469
I use the Jot so sparingly ever since I got the LYR2. I have so many different tubes to roll that enables me to change the sound to whatever mood I happen to be in at that time and for my many other HP’s.

I love the LYR2 with the TH-X00 Purplehearts because I can tame the treble to a level I’m comfortable with if I’m tired and fatigued. I can actually get some more punch and slam with a specific tube even though this is a very strong HP with bass and I can also bring the mids more forward.

I’ve just become a real fan of tubes but still like the Jot A LOT with the 650 as it’s a brighter amp. They both serve their purpose as it’s just a matter of taste. The 650 sounds sublime with the right tube. That’s why I have both but always seem to power up the LYR2 first and foremost.

Schiit also has their return policy so if you don’t like one of them, you can return it within 30 days?

Great, thanks for the info. I have a Schiit M/M Uber stack and a Bottlehead crack so Im aware of the fun of tube rolling :) Seems like the Lyr might be the better choice for me.

Dec 30, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #5,137 of 6,469
I think Jot deserves better power cable then the stock. The stock cable is a 18awg power cord, I was happy with it until I swapped it out with a 14 awg cable. The low notes hit a lot harder with more sense of presence. It's a $10 no-brainer swap.
I upgraded my Jot with a shielded power cable to reduce noise, they are dirt cheap so if you want a 14 awg there's no penalty other than thickness and stiffness, personally I went with 16 awg:

18 awg - https://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=17600-10-B1
16 awg - https://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=17602-10-B1
14 awg - https://www.mouser.com/search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=17604-10-B1

The shielding is great too: I tested it and couldn't hear any 60hz buzz when I placed a skinny unshielded 3.5mm cable parallel to the power cable and plugged the 3.5mm cable to the input of a 100w amp on max volume!

When I place the 3.5mm cable parallel to a normal power cable I can't turn the volume past 2 o'clock or so the buzz is so loud!
Gonna try this soon, and once my friend gives me my second Jot back, I can even do a direct A/B comparison.

Standard 18 AWG vs TrippLite 14 AWG:

P_20171230_101311_vHDR_On.jpg

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #5,138 of 6,469
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #5,139 of 6,469
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #5,140 of 6,469
Dec 31, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #5,141 of 6,469
I will not make any statements about any changes in sound signature, however I have a bunch of these and have found them to be of good quality.

Pangea AC-14 .6m Power Cables

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030ELBG...e=df0&creative=395129&creativeASIN=B0030ELBGK
I’m having quite a bit of static issues and I cannot take the poor sound issues I’m experiencing.
I’ve ripped everything apart, cleaned it up and hooked everything back up again and it really didn’t solve my problem. Will updating the power cords on both the Schiit amp and Dac “possibly” clean it up? I running USB through a PC tower.

Dec 31, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #5,142 of 6,469
I’m having quite a bit of static issues and I cannot take the poor sound issues I’m experiencing.
I’ve ripped everything apart, cleaned it up and hooked everything back up again and it really didn’t solve my problem. Will updating the power cords on both the Schiit amp and Dac “possibly” clean it up? I running USB through a PC tower.
Hey man! Try and work this backwards. Start with just Jot powered on with no inputs connected and see if there is noise. if there isn't any, add the next component in the chain, presumably SYS? Then Mimby. See at what point the noise starts. You might have a ground loop, and they are tricky beasts to solve. I forego any direct USB connection as your almost guaranteed to get some form of hash, noise, or static from the computer. I use Eitr or optical connection as they both break the ground connection and are electrically isolating.

Dec 31, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #5,143 of 6,469
Hey man! Try and work this backwards. Start with just Jot powered on with no inputs connected and see if there is noise. if there isn't any, add the next component in the chain, presumably SYS? Then Mimby. See at what point the noise starts. You might have a ground loop, and they are tricky beasts to solve. I forego any direct USB connection as your almost guaranteed to get some form of hash, noise, or static from the computer. I use Eitr or optical connection as they both break the ground connection and are electrically isolating.
Thanks for replying man. When I get some time, I'll give it a whirl. I like the idea of adding the Eitr into the chain as that seems it will take care of it for the most part.

Dec 31, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #5,144 of 6,469
Thanks for replying man. When I get some time, I'll give it a whirl. I like the idea of adding the Eitr into the chain as that seems it will take care of it for the most part.

I definitely had issues (ground loop or other?) with both the Mojo as a DAC and running through a high quality surge protector. I replaced the 18awg power with a 14awg ($6 on amazon) and plugged directly in the wall - this fixed that non-Mojo problems.

The Mojo problem I fixed by replacing it with an Eitr / Mimby - now I have zero noise including when I touch the volume pot which was the last place where I was getting an issue.

Jan 1, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #5,145 of 6,469
I definitely had issues (ground loop or other?) with both the Mojo as a DAC and running through a high quality surge protector. I replaced the 18awg power with a 14awg ($6 on amazon) and plugged directly in the wall - this fixed that non-Mojo problems.

The Mojo problem I fixed by replacing it with an Eitr / Mimby - now I have zero noise including when I touch the volume pot which was the last place where I was getting an issue.
Well it seems like a no brainer to pick up an Eitr then. I mean what’s the point in investing in nice headphones, good/descent/great gear only to have all this noise. Just ruins whatever you’re listening too. Thanx to you both for the Eitr comments as it pretty much sold me. :metal:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back