Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 26, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #4,458 of 6,472
Finally received the Jot! What a great piece of equipment! It drives my HD-650 like a champ with a really realistic sound. What an upgrade from the internal amp of my motherboard... Also tested as a preamp / dac combination in-between my MacBook Air and Emotiva XPA-2 amp. The results: silky smooth sound with lots of micro-details and a very defined bass. This is definitely a step-up from the Oppo BDP-105.

Only downside is the total price to my door which is nearly $900 CAD ...

Recommended, 9/10

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #4,459 of 6,472
I have a chord mojo already I was thinking of pairing with a jotunheim amp only when I get it, but would a bitfrost multibit be a better pairing option? Can anyone tell me?

I know for certain they stack and look awesome together but will it sound great as well? Or just use the chord mojo?

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #4,463 of 6,472
After spending considerable time at the Schiit and Focal CanJam NY tables auditioning Jot, I finally got around to purchasing one, in black.

I am even more impressed with Jot now than I was in CanJam. Cannot say enough good things about the sounds coming out of this device. Simply A and B'ing the unbalanced headphone output of a different dac/amp combo (that shall remain nameless) revealed that there wasn't any competition at all with the Jot blowing it of the water.

One item I did briefly ponder- other than pure convenience and more inputs and outputs, is there really a need for RCA in and out at all? A simple adapter will convert.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #4,464 of 6,472
Adapters aren't always the best option as some gear doesn't like shorting or floating pins depending on the source and cable used.

The correct way is to use a XLR to RCA transformer such as the Jensen Isomax, there are also cheaper alternatives such as the Radial Pro D2.

Apr 28, 2017 at 12:07 PM Post #4,466 of 6,472
Look back one page for pictures of a black Jot.
And yes other than black the quality is the same.

Apr 29, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #4,467 of 6,472
So happy with this amp! Just got one in earlier for my Elear. Unless the Mjolnir 2 + Gungnir multibit itch becomes much stronger I think I'll be with this amp for a while. The sound is very pleasing.

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #4,468 of 6,472
I want to report an observation I made with cables and adapters. I have a ponoplayer balanced cable from Venus Audio that I use with the Sennheiser 6xx. When I got the Jot, I bought an adapter from Dyson Audio to convert the dual TRS jacks of the ponoplayer cable to 4 pin XLR to use with the balanced out of Jot. The result was worse than I expected. The treble was subdued and the bass became muddy. Compared to the SE out, the difference was clear. Not sure what the problem was, I decided to buy another balanced cable with Litzy copper wire and XLR connector for $65 from Amazon. The result now is night and day. All the issues with the previous cable/adapter solved and I can really hear the sound everybody talks about in this thread. It seems like, somewhere in the jacks and adapters, the signal was spoiled. Since I am not electrical engineer, no clue what the problem was.

On a different note, I find the DAC inside the ponoplayer pairs very well with Jot. I am using the balanced out of the Ponoplayer to feed into the Jot, then listening thru balanced headphone out. Comparing the same flac files thru Mac/Audirvana-->Jot internal DAC, the sound was more congested with less instrument separation, although the difference is subtle. So I am sticking to the ponoplayer as DAC for now. Has anyone compared the ponoplayer DAC to that of the mimby for instance?

May 1, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #4,469 of 6,472
Anyone like to comment on the tonality of the Schiit Jotunheim ? Some review describe it has having a layer of haze while others say it reproduce tonal colors well. While we all hear things differently, those sounds to me as qualities at variance, so just like to have opinion from someone actually owing the unit.

May 1, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #4,470 of 6,472
Others can describe it in more detail but I find it has great neutrality, dynamics, and stage width. It lacks some stage depth, center image is somewhat blurry, and it can have a edginess in the treble, some call it a glare. Leaving it on 24/7 and using balanced connections throughout make it a stand out amp. I sold my Liquid Carbon, and it beats the rest of my amps even Zana Deux for clarity, lack of mush/warmth, and great dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back