Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
May 6, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #4,486 of 6,472
There's either something wrong with your JOT, or it's just noise issue on USB. You could try something like a WYRD, Recovery, or Regen. WYRD can be had for 50-75$ used, and the regen/recovery 90-120$. I think the regen/recovery are worth their extra cost over wyrd. They have better clocks.

You could verify with a laptop or other PC source.

May 7, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #4,487 of 6,472
I suspect it might be the power. I've changed power outlet and even removed the USB when the whining happened and the whining just persisted even after I removed the connection. Can a AVR (automatic voltage regulator or UPS) help with this?

May 7, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #4,488 of 6,472
@Cruxiaer I get that out of my Mojo (when trickle charging). I believe my power is dirty. I'm leaning heavily at getting this...
furman.PNG
Furman PST-8D
...which will also help my PC and Desktop speakers as well.

Rant: Stupid new forum format won't let you link a pic to the website (as far as I can tell so far). Maybe if using full-size instead of thumbnail.

Last edited:
May 7, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #4,490 of 6,472
That's a great power strip, removed absolutely all noise from my desktop audio system.

May 7, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #4,491 of 6,472
I use the bulkier Furman PL-8C and not only it silenced Mojo's charging and USB noise, it also silenced the idle noise of the poweramps inside the Yamaha HS7s too.

May 7, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #4,492 of 6,472
I'm in Australia so I don't plan to spend the cost of shipping over here. Any idea if something like a voltage regulator will work as well? Like the APC Line R 1200VA.

APC_LE1200I_general_view_7[1].jpg

Or should I get one of those APC Sinewave UPS unit? I can get almost all APC product here.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #4,493 of 6,472
If you're having continuous hum, it's likely a ground loop issue, which would not be resolved with a power conditioner or powered usb hub. Jot uses a three pin power cable, so if you have other electronic devices like a computer with a three pin power cable sharing the same ground as Jot, you may end up hearing ground loop hum. While it's strongly discouraged for permanent use, you can can get a cheap cheater plug (not sure if available in Australia?) to convert three pin to two pin and break the ground loop to test if this is the issue.

May 10, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #4,494 of 6,472
I use the bulkier Furman PL-8C and not only it silenced Mojo's charging and USB noise, it also silenced the idle noise of the poweramps inside the Yamaha HS7s too.

You use that at a Desk, or in a rack? I could actually get it for my rack... as it is on the other side of the wall from my server rack and UPS. I'm just wondering if I run a couple of powerstrips off of that, I kill the unit and it's purpose.

May 17, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #4,495 of 6,472
Have a Bimby, not Mimby, connected by very short RCAs (Schiit's own PYST cables) to my Jot. No hiss whatsoever. I suspect the long, poorly shielded cables you are using are picking electrical noise from the environment. IMHO, for cables the shorter the better, so I'd go as short as possible for the Mimby>Jot connection, which could be shorter than the 3ft you are planning.
I have same configuration. Bimby to Jot with 6" PYST cables. No hiss.

May 18, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #4,498 of 6,472
I just ordered a Jotunheim amp last night! I cant wait. I was trying to decide between the Ragnarok and the Mjolnir 2.

Currently I have an Yggdrasil and an Asgard 2 running my new HD800 S headphones. I also have a pair of Presonus eris e5 monitors (powered) - so I didn't really nead all that the Ragnarok had to offer And I wasn't too sure about going "tube" route. I wanted a balanced amp....... I hadn't really taken notice of the new Jotunheim. But is seems that this is pretty much what I am looking for. For the price, I feel it's a no brainer.

May 18, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #4,499 of 6,472
I just ordered a Jotunheim amp last night! I cant wait. I was trying to decide between the Ragnarok and the Mjolnir 2.

Currently I have an Yggdrasil and an Asgard 2 running my new HD800 S headphones. I also have a pair of Presonus eris e5 monitors (powered) - so I didn't really nead all that the Ragnarok had to offer And I wasn't too sure about going "tube" route. I wanted a balanced amp....... I hadn't really taken notice of the new Jotunheim. But is seems that this is pretty much what I am looking for. For the price, I feel it's a no brainer.
I'm enjoying the MB Bifrost I purchased from you with my Jotunheim! I envy your Yggy. Please let us know how it pairs with the Jotunheim. I'm curious if the Jotunheim is resolving enough to enjoy Yggy's full potential.

May 19, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #4,500 of 6,472
I'm enjoying the MB Bifrost I purchased from you with my Jotunheim! I envy your Yggy. Please let us know how it pairs with the Jotunheim. I'm curious if the Jotunheim is resolving enough to enjoy Yggy's full potential.

Really, glad your enjoying the Bimby! It is really one heck of a DAC!. Right now my Yggy with the Asgard 2 sound really nice. So with the specs on the Jotunheim, i'm expecting some good Schiit! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back