Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
May 23, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #4,501 of 6,472
I get the feeling we might see a dedicated Jotunheim-sized balanced DAC to go with the Jot amp unit. Or they might upgrade Bifrost with balanced design (unlikely).
If Schiit make this taller with more digital options like Optical, I would buy this in a second.

May 24, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #4,502 of 6,472
I get the feeling we might see a dedicated Jotunheim-sized balanced DAC to go with the Jot amp unit. Or they might upgrade Bifrost with balanced design (unlikely).
If Schiit make this taller with more digital options like Optical, I would buy this in a second.

That would be really nice, the L-Bend Jotunheim Stacked with the U-Bend Bifrost is to much for my OCD :laughing:

What altough would be nice if the Jotunheim would be avaliable again in some Corner of Europe :rolling_eyes:

May 25, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #4,503 of 6,472
I just ordered a Jotunheim amp last night! I cant wait. I was trying to decide between the Ragnarok and the Mjolnir 2.

Currently I have an Yggdrasil and an Asgard 2 running my new HD800 S headphones. I also have a pair of Presonus eris e5 monitors (powered) - so I didn't really nead all that the Ragnarok had to offer And I wasn't too sure about going "tube" route. I wanted a balanced amp....... I hadn't really taken notice of the new Jotunheim. But is seems that this is pretty much what I am looking for. For the price, I feel it's a no brainer.

Ok, I received my new Jotunheim (amp only) yesterday. I listened for a short while immediatley after opening the package. I feel it is an improvement over my Asgard 2. listening now , balanced from Yggy and balanced out to HD800 S. I hate to just carbon copy what most of you have been reading here and elsewhere.... But, more clarity, imaging is better. Instrument seperation is also better. more "holographic", soundstage seems a bit larger. i can "hear" more of my music......like echoes after drum and symbol hits. to me, it is a definite improvement over my Asgard 2.
Bass hits harder tighter , mids and highs are crisper.

Though, I do wonder how much, if any, improvement i'm missing out from the Ragnarok.

May 26, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,504 of 6,472
To those who own both the Jot with DAC and Mimby, how much of an upgrade in sound quality is there while going from the Jot-DAC to the Mimby. I am trying to decide whether to spend $200+ for a dedicated DAC. Which are the areas where you see improvement. Is there a wider/deeper soundstage. Are the notes more prominent? Is the bass more visceral? Most importantly, will there be a readily detectable improvement in SQ or is it more subtle?

I hate to ask this, after so much has been discussed, but I couldn't find the answer to my question in this thread. Many people have stated there is going to be an improvement in SQ in Mimby, but I am looking for a more critical assessment.
Thanks in advance.

May 27, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #4,505 of 6,472
To start, I will need to say sorry to you guys for my English as English is not my native language...And this review is only for those who is going to purchase their first DAC/AMP or seeking an upgrade from a non-audiophile grade DAC/AMP

I have owned my Jot with DAC module for around 2 months and I truly want to share my 2 cent for anyone who's deciding to get Jot, as a non audiophile but whom appreciate good sound,

Firstly, in order to get you guys a reference baseline, I may need to say all experience I have was based on this configuration: PC(foobar 2000) -> Jotunheim with DAC -> HD650 stock cable. And my previous setups as reference are: PC(foobar 2000) -> HD598 / PC(foobar 2000) -> Yamaha rx-v481 -> Elac B6 / PC(foobar 2000) -> Audio Engine A2+ (I knew,,,Headphone vs speaker is incomparable...As an non-golden-ear who just only enjoy crystal clear and immersing music).

Overall, Jot with DAC gave me entirely audible improvement in terms of headphone listening experience and more versatile in listening all different kinds of music. My words sound complicated and somehow conservative? Let me finshi.

We start with Pros and Cons (remember they're based on with my references...look above)

Pros:

1. Sounds are significantly improved than not using them. Sounds totally useless huh? Look what I see at the beginning (this review is only for those who is going to purchase their first DAC/AMP or seeking an upgrade from a non-audiophile grade DAC/AMP). I actually think my this point make more sense than most other review. This DAC/AMP is just 399+ USD and it clearly target at those first DAC/AMP buyer who's seeking better sound not some "ultra beautiful" "mind-blowing" sound that average person could distinguish. I just want to say, plug your headphone(decent heaphone! like 598 at least) in this will give you audiblke sound quality improvment(I didn't say sound feeling improvement yet). Voice sounds more concentrated and dense and less noise, you feel the sound is more controllable. I wouldn't comment on high/mid/low end now. Why? Please see blow. It's not just about volume, simply because they're powerful and more than powerful, simply judging this DAC/AMP by its volume is kind of under-estimating this DAC/AMP and even the whole industry.I can say that it wil bring you more than volume also the sould quality. Of course, like us, getting our 300 ohms headphne sound loud enough is als important. I guarentee you this does this job and more than you expect!

2. They are powerful for (this review is only for those who is going to purchase their first DAC/AMP or seeking an upgrade from a non-audiophile grade DAC/AMP). I mainly purcheased this unit because I want to have a HD650 as my primary headphoen and I need they are hunger for power. I can reassure you, this is for moe than enough. In high gain mode, you only need to turn the knob to 12 o'clock then it sound loud enough to hurt your ears (ok, my ears). Not actually sufficiently qualified to make this comment, considering the fact that H650 is pretty easy to drive even they are 300 ohms. But like I say above, this review is only for those who is going to purchase their first DAC/AMP or seeking an upgrade from a non-audiophile grade DAC/AMP. This group of people are more likely start with HD650 not stuff like HE6.

3. Balanced output/input. I don't know if I really want to talk about this, since I am still happy with my HD650 with SE cable. But at least it give you the choice. But, look at my first statement above, (this review is only for those who is going to purchase their first DAC/AMP or seeking an upgrade from a non-audiophile grade DAC/AMP). Plus it sells for 399. I checked the HD650 XLR calbe price, it's around 200 dollar. Is there any one whom is willing to pay 200~300 in headphone calbes but only get a 400 DAC/AMP to drive them? Deep in my heart, my answer is no. But, actually, yes, like me, my DAC/AMP gave me an blaced output, so I obviously want to try it and figure out the difference even I expect there's none. But, serviously, don't buy those which cost you more than your AMP or headphone, spend 30% (random number but you get what I mean) of your headphone or DAC/AMP price to get a XLR cable to experience and get an idea what they give you (probably just volume). Personally and frankly, I was going to get a XLR calbe simply because I want a shorter cable and experience the XLR magic at the same time.

4. Obviously, DAC and AMP in one box, I mean a decent DAC (not sure, see below) and AMP (I guess yes) in a very good looking box! Deny or not, this is actually pretty important for most consumer who's searching for good sound but dont want equitments and cables mess up their desktop. The footprint of Jot is obvioursly larger than Schiit stack, but it looks much nicer from my own view, One box made of aluminium with both sharp and rounded edge, it really add some fancy feeling to your desktop, if it does not conflict of your overall color scheme of your other equitment (I have only white, silver, black things on my desk, they look nice).

Actually, I want you (who is going to purchase their first DAC/AMP or seeking an upgrade from a non-audiophile grade DAC/AMP) more focus on the Cons side.
Cons:
1. Jot with DAC somehow gave me some too bright sounding feeling which I never had with my HD598. Maybe I am not true audiophile and that sound is actually the correct sound. As I read, most HD650 owner think it's on dark side. I am not very clear about the definition of bright of dark. My bright feeling is mainly come from the harsh sound of high frequency. And even HD650 which is supposed to tuned to be a bit dark cannot compensate the harsh sound. This is annoying when your music involved with high frequency instruments or voice. This bright sound will significantly decrease your confortness, especially you listen such sound for a long time. As I research, this is more caused by the DAC module. And I am actuall seeking a seperate DAC for fixing this. But it kind of lose the meaning to have Jot, doesn't it? Please tell me if you have good suggestion.

2. Female voice in Pop music is kind of recessed and far. I don't know this is because of H650 or Jot. But if you listen to a various range of pop music, my setup is kind of picky on this. I don't like this sounding at all, since I also listen to pop music alot and this sounding sometimes really decrease my immersing feeling. If it's not H650, I would guess it's the fault of the DAC module again. But luckily, the DAC mode is upgradable and probably I should list thie feature as 4th Pros. Anyone here can recommend a DAC or headphnethat can deliver very densed mid-range and close voice sould.

3. The bass sound a bit chaos and over with my HD650 but it's HD650, I cant' blame to the Jot only.

4. Combine the 2 Cons above, it deliver a V-shape sound which is not HD650 supposed to be. Yes, HD650 emphasize the low end not good at treble. But it's famous in warm sound, so it shouldm't be that mid-range lacking. I more blame this on DAC, not because they are not good but just not matches HD650 good.

Suggestion for buyer.
View it as a good AMP or DAC if you like than a complete solution of DAC/AMP.
Price performance ratio is high. Only competitent is audio-gd NF11. But audio-gd is not suitable for any one like me who want to keep their desktop look fancy.
Better listening this before buying if you could. I am already thinking of getting a complimentary headphone or DAC to fix the Cons I listed above.

I am a lazy guy don't want to take any picture of my setup to prove that was my real feeling of owning and listening my equitment. If you insist and don't trust my words, please let me know. I will post (with my ID and any accectable request you ask). I guess no one will read till this.

May 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #4,509 of 6,472
the best way to go is jot amp-only with a mimby. i haven't decided how much better i thought the mimby was by percentage but it's immediately noticeable if you have them side by side. the thing that stands out is that the mimby has more definition. still, the dac card is a good value at $100 but not needed if you have an external dac.

May 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #4,510 of 6,472
Hi @DavidA , any suggestion of fixing this instead of trading my Jot with other DAC/AMP. I still prefer to keep Jot at least serving as an AMP.

While you can use another DAC that might be a bit warmer I don't think the price would be worth it and its easier to sell the Jot and move on to another amp that you are not trying to fix issues with.

Yes - because the HD800 (unmodified) and HD700 are commonly referred to as "face tweeters".
They are not a going to work well with the Jot.

Try the HD600 or HD650!

Not a good answer to say get different headphones (I do have a HD650 and had a HD600 BTW) but @Chrismust felt that even with the HD650 the Jot was too bright. Its hard to consider the Jot a good amp if it doesn't pair with many headphones due to being too bright, there are cheaper amps that do pair well with the HD800 and HD700.

May 27, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #4,511 of 6,472
I use the Mojo with the Jot and I don't feel that it is bright. TBH though, I mainly use it as a Pre-amp... I've been using my Venture Electronics RunAbout 2.0 Balanced mostly. I really do like that amp (and it does sound similar to Jot, but a little warmer with both being driven by the Mojo).

May 27, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #4,512 of 6,472
I use my Jotunheim with a Modi Multibit, feeding my HD650s in balanced. It doesn't sound bright to me and I do have a bit of treble sensitivity. To me this setup sounds absolutely fantastic.

May 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #4,513 of 6,472
Its hard to consider the Jot a good amp if it doesn't pair with many headphones due to being too bright, there are cheaper amps that do pair well with the HD800 and HD700.
The Jot has a neutral, flat response that reveals any upstream crap, including the high frequency hash from some DACs. With a good DAC -- I've used mine with a Bimby and with a Holo Spring KTE 3 -- it is clear, fast, coherent with punch but no harshness. The two weaknesses I've detected are a shallow soundstage and less instrument separation than some other options, like the Liquid Carbon I used to have (sold because I prefer the Jot) and the Neurochrome HP-1, which I've ordered for my home office system.

May 27, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #4,514 of 6,472
Same, and when you compare it to those other amps in terms of price, it's a no brainer. I use a Gumby/Freya into Jot and the Freya fixes most of Jot's short comings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back