Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
May 28, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #4,531 of 6,472
I believe there's something wrong with these cans as there's hardly any bass.

This was the part of your statement I was referring to...

:)

May 28, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #4,532 of 6,472
Why are you defending the Jot by making exceptions? The Jot is not a bad amp but it depends on the headphones that one has, the individuals hearing, preferred genre, and many other factors.
To be blunt: all the hocus-pocus about "pairing" is really about asking the amp to fix headphone weirdness or match user preferences for spectral coloration or "euphony" (aka even harmonic distortion). The big "sin" of the Jot is that it is pretty close to a "wire with gain" and so does not bend to all of those needs. On the other hand, it comes closer to my frequent experience of live music than for example the Liquid Carbon (just listening -- see headphone system info on my sig below -- to a new live recording of Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan at the Village Vanguard, and having been there myself and listened to Frisell live many times, I can't find any fault with what I'm hearing). Nothing wrong with seeking an amp that tweaks the signal to match your transducers and preferences, but blaming the Jot for being closer to the signal truth is akin to blaming the messenger for the news.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #4,533 of 6,472
This was the part of your statement I was referring to...

:)

Cool. Got it.
So let me ask you, what amp/DAC are you running with? I'm just not getting the bass with my current set-up. As I was saying, all my other HP's have more bass then the TXH-00's so I'm thinking there's gotta be something jacked up with the pair that I own. I use the same set-up with all my cans and these have the least amount of bass.
I'm also thinking an upgraded DAC may pair well with the new Purplehearts/Jot. Yes? No? Maybe? :L3000:

May 28, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #4,534 of 6,472
Cool. Got it.
So let me ask you, what amp/DAC are you running with? I'm just not getting the bass with my current set-up. As I was saying, all my other HP's have more bass then the TXH-00's so I'm thinking there's gotta be something jacked up with the pair that I own. I use the same set-up with all my cans and these have the least amount of bass.
I'm also thinking an upgraded DAC may pair well with the new Purplehearts/Jot. Yes? No? Maybe? :L3000:

I had the mahogany TH-X00 for a short period and while it did have a lot of bass it was not good quality but the bass was there even out of the headphone jack of my computer so I would agree with @MWSVette that there might be something wrong with your TH-X00.

@earnmyturns, what you are describing is the O2 that was all the fad a few years ago, "a wire with gain" and like you say it the harmonic distortion that makes some amps work well with some headphones and not others. I'm also not one to looking for "as the musician recorded it" or "just like being there" I just like to enjoy it from what ever I have hooked up at the time, like now its a EL8 out of the headphone jack of a UD-301 and when my GF gets up I'll change over to SAE-X10 amp and Rauna TYR speakers so she can enjoy the music with me.

May 29, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #4,537 of 6,472
Hi, I've posted before that I had the BitfrostMultibit to see if it was any better then the Jot internal DAC. Could not hear any. Sent the Bitfrost back after 2 weeks of listening (yes I burnt in and left both on for 5 days straight). Love my Jot with internal DAC as a preamp to my amp+passive speakers and with my Audioquest Nightowl Carbon + balanced cable. My Senhieser HD650 and my Shure SE425 earbuds also sound great with the Jot. Wish I could afford the Audeze LCD 4 headphones, but I can't. Maybe in a more just life.

May 29, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #4,538 of 6,472
To those who own both the Jot with DAC and Mimby, how much of an upgrade in sound quality is there while going from the Jot-DAC to the Mimby. I am trying to decide whether to spend $200+ for a dedicated DAC. Which are the areas where you see improvement. Is there a wider/deeper soundstage. Are the notes more prominent? Is the bass more visceral? Most importantly, will there be a readily detectable improvement in SQ or is it more subtle?

I hate to ask this, after so much has been discussed, but I couldn't find the answer to my question in this thread. Many people have stated there is going to be an improvement in SQ in Mimby, but I am looking for a more critical assessment.
Thanks in advance.
I own a Jot with DAC module, Mimby, and Bimby with the HD650 headphones. To me, the tonal balance and characteristics throughout low, mid, and high frequencies is fairly consistent between all 3 DACs. The biggest difference is the soundstage and separation increasing with the Mimby and slightly more so with Bimby. It is more noticeable with good recordings, with the difference between Jot DAC and Mimby about 2x greater than between Mimby and Bimby (Law of diminishing returns). Bimby does seem to have a slightly warmer sound overall compared with Jot DAC and Mimby and is my favorite of the three. Value-wise, you won't be disappointed with Mimby.

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #4,540 of 6,472
I own a Jot with DAC module, Mimby, and Bimby with the HD650 headphones. To me, the tonal balance and characteristics throughout low, mid, and high frequencies is fairly consistent between all 3 DACs. The biggest difference is the soundstage and separation increasing with the Mimby and slightly more so with Bimby. It is more noticeable with good recordings, with the difference between Jot DAC and Mimby about 2x greater than between Mimby and Bimby (Law of diminishing returns). Bimby does seem to have a slightly warmer sound overall compared with Jot DAC and Mimby and is my favorite of the three. Value-wise, you won't be disappointed with Mimby.

Hi,
I must say, your assessment is quite helpful to me. I somewhat guessed that the improvement would be in the soundstage and instrument separation, but you nailed it! Thank you very much. I will be looking forward to grabbing a Mimby once a good deal comes by.

May 30, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #4,541 of 6,472
anyone here tried driving hd800s with jotun?
thanks

There are people here who uses HD800S with Jot but I never like this pairing, let alone 800 non-S version. The paring only exacerbate the high mids/treble issue. Unlike many others, I don't find Jot all that amazing. My definition of a good amp is that it does not add coloration to the music, and in the case of Jot, the treble glare is very obvious. I also find the clarity of the Jot unnatural. I was comparing the sound of phones directly plugged to the RCA of mimby and mimby->balanced Jot, and every time I find the chain with the Jot having more clarity. How is it possible that adding an additional equipment in the chain will make music from the DAC clearer? The sound feels like it has been smoothed over at the expense of small fine details, much like an antialiasing applied to make things cleaner and smoother. I supposed the pricing of the Jot is good, and that is at least a good point about it.

May 30, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #4,542 of 6,472
There are people here who uses HD800S with Jot but I never like this pairing, let alone 800 non-S version. The paring only exacerbate the high mids/treble issue. Unlike many others, I don't find Jot all that amazing. My definition of a good amp is that it does not add coloration to the music, and in the case of Jot, the treble glare is very obvious. I also find the clarity of the Jot unnatural. I was comparing the sound of phones directly plugged to the RCA of mimby and mimby->balanced Jot, and every time I find the chain with the Jot having more clarity. How is it possible that adding an additional equipment in the chain will make music from the DAC clearer? The sound feels like it has been smoothed over at the expense of small fine details, much like an antialiasing applied to make things cleaner and smoother. I supposed the pricing of the Jot is good, and that is at least a good point about it.

I see, thank you for your input.
I'm considering buying jotun because of the price tag lol

May 30, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #4,543 of 6,472
Well, considering the price I cannot really fault it too much though. It's truly balanced and still offers more sound details than amps around the same price bracket. The biggest issue I see is the skewed tonality, but it will be a good match with darker cans.

May 30, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,544 of 6,472
Jot with or without DAC? My experience with Jot fed by two very different DACs (Bimby and Holo Spring KTE 3), into MrSpeakers Ether C Flow or Æon, is very different from yours. No coloration whatsoever, realistic clarity, remarkably close to my very frequent experiences of live jazz and classical music. My sense of Jot criticism is that many people want their amp to drive their headphones to create a particular target sound profile that is pleasant even if not necessarily live-realistic, and the Jot fails to oblige by being honestly true to the source and thus incapable of overcoming recording or headphone peculiarities. I kept a Jot against a Liquid Carbon because while the LC was more pleasing at first, it sounded ultimately less true to the sources. The only solid-state amp I've heard that I prefer to the Jot -- for better instrument separation and sound stage -- is the Neurochrome HP-1, which I just got after I did a side-by-side comparison. Not a huge difference, so I'm keeping the Jot for another system. Of course, I've not listened to everything out there. And a Rag would be too big for my headphone amp locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back