Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 13, 2017 at 9:31 PM Post #4,381 of 6,472
The above several posts point out exactly why I will never, but never, do any home theater product ever again.

Haha you could just print 20 pages with "Ask the forum." printed in the middle of every page.

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #4,382 of 6,472
  The above several posts point out exactly why I will never, but never, do any home theater product ever again.

In another life I did trouble-shooting for a (meager) living. So, from time to time, I like these brain teasers. 
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #4,383 of 6,472
Hey hey Ladies & Gents!

For connecting the optional DAC module in my Jot, does it have to be a USB 2.0 cable?

Could I not gey a USB 3.0 or 3.1 A B cable?

Thanks for your help

smily_headphones1.gif

AFAIK, USB 3.0/3.1 type B has a different port.

Yes, the USB inputs for all DACs I think (but certainly for Schiit's, including the DAC on the Jot) use a USB-B 2.0 connector. The USB-B 3.0 connector (used on external HD enclosures for example) will NOT fit (they have an extra extension part of the connector that makes it bigger than the 2.0 version). It is backwards compatible the other way, ie. if you have a USB-B 2.0 cable, you can insert it into a USB-B 3.0 external HD enclosure, though it will run at 2.0 speeds of course. AFAIK, all USB inputs on DACs use the USB-B 2.0 connector... 

Apr 14, 2017 at 12:45 AM Post #4,384 of 6,472

Yes, the USB inputs for all DACs I think (but certainly for Schiit's, including the DAC on the Jot) use a USB-B 2.0 connector. The USB-B 3.0 connector (used on external HD enclosures for example) will NOT fit (they have an extra extension part of the connector that makes it bigger than the 2.0 version). It is backwards compatible the other way, ie. if you have a USB-B 2.0 cable, you can insert it into a USB-B 3.0 external HD enclosure, though it will run at 2.0 speeds of course. AFAIK, all USB inputs on DACs use the USB-B 2.0 connector... 

Thanks for letting me know about the differences between the versions of 2.0 to 3.0. Also, that 2.0 can be used on 3.0 but your speed is, of course, limited to USB 2.0 transfer speeds. I knew there must be a reason why! 

Appreciate your help even if it was not the brightest of questions I am afraid.

Cheers :)

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #4,386 of 6,472
I haven't ordered from Schiit in a long time, but how long does it normally take for them to respond to your order, pull the funds and actually get the item shipping? Is 3 days normal before you see any progress?

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #4,387 of 6,472
  I haven't ordered from Schiit in a long time, but how long does it normally take for them to respond to your order, pull the funds and actually get the item shipping? Is 3 days normal before you see any progress?

If the item is in stock normally the same day, or next day, if you ordered late in the day.

Weekends do not count.
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #4,389 of 6,472
My Jot took like 5 days to get processed and shipped. 

I've enjoyed audible differences on my HE560 from balanced thank you. It's not huge, but it's definitely there.

Totally agree with you. I have the Balanced cable for my HE560s with the Jot. Last night I was doing comparisons between one and the other and besides having a lot more power there is a difference.

Whether you agree if that difference is worth the money on the cable it's up to you. 

By the way I also compared the Jot to the Aune S6 (I bought the Aune first), and also used the Aune as a DAC with the Jot as the Amp. 
I'll post my impressions when I'm done working either today or tomorrow :D

Story preview: I'm keeping the Jot and returning the Aune. 

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #4,390 of 6,472
  My Jot took like 5 days to get processed and shipped. 

There should be something on their page saying "built to order" then. O'well. I have cables and parts coming in to do a Balanced setup... so... It is what it is.

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #4,391 of 6,472
Just wondering with other peeps HE-400i experience with an SE with the Jot as I am on high gain and volume to around 3pm, so not much more tro go before being at maximum volume.

Anyone else having a similar experience with the Jot? Is it best to move onto a balanced 2.5mm connection for more power so to speak? If so, what cable would be recommended to do the job as the cable I have received with the 2 x 2.5mm jacks is a very small cable indeed! 

Would be great to order a cable within a week and does not need to be made of Unicorn hair as the wire....Hehe :) 

Please help! 

Cheers

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #4,393 of 6,472
  Just wondering with other peeps HE-400i experience with an SE with the Jot as I am on high gain and volume to around 3pm, so not much more tro go before being at maximum volume.

Anyone else having a similar experience with the Jot? Is it best to move onto a balanced 2.5mm connection for more power so to speak? If so, what cable would be recommended to do the job as the cable I have received with the 2 x 2.5mm jacks is a very small cable indeed! 

Would be great to order a cable within a week and does not need to be made of Unicorn hair as the wire....Hehe :) 

Please help! 

Cheers

From the 400i Product page: 93dB. Impedance : 35 Ohms

Either your hearing is really bad, or your source volume is low? Either way, in the case of the Jotunheim because of the huge difference in power output, balanced will give you more headroom and better sound in general. I was able to get HE6s to volume at 1oclock on high gain, so these will destroy your 400i's in balanced.

Apr 14, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #4,394 of 6,472

Please help! 

Cheers

Same thing happens to me with my HE-560s. When using the SE output I can go full tilt and its loud but still tolerable.

I got the balanced cable and with the XLR output I can't go more than 3pm before I feel my ears are about to explode.

It's helpful with very low volume songs like some strange DSD tracks

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #4,395 of 6,472
  I use that same stack. The internal DAC in the Jot is much much worse and the Jot, while faster and cleaner, is much less even tonally than the Asgard 2. There's no reason to upgrade it. Save money for Gungnir multibit if you want a huge upgrade.

Heck, save money for Yggy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back