Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 13, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #4,366 of 6,472
I've enjoyed audible differences on my HE560 from balanced thank you. It's not huge, but it's definitely there.

Apr 13, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #4,367 of 6,472
I use that same stack. The internal DAC in the Jot is much much worse and the Jot, while faster and cleaner, is much less even tonally than the Asgard 2. There's no reason to upgrade it. Save money for Gungnir multibit if you want a huge upgrade.

I have mimby.. Do you think gumby would be better? I mean 1000eur better?

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #4,369 of 6,472
I know this thread is long and full of impressions already, but I wanted to share my experience with the Jot (with DAC) in comparison to the Fostex HP-A4BL.

This week has been a a whirlwind of auditory adventures that hasn't stopped. Firstly I recieved my pair of LCD-3f's as I waited on the Jot, so the LCD 3s will be my reference point. As a treble sensitive individual I was fully aware of the small reputation schiit's solid states have on others like me, being a little bright. I experienced this with the Magni 2 out of my Focusrite 18i20's like out. The Jot is comparable in many ways: transparent, clean, a little forward in the mid presentation, and less glare in high frequencies. The LCD 3s can be a little peaky at times on its own through my XDUOO XD05, but this glare is a familiar trait with the 2016 fazors it seems. Back in track, while the Jot is less bright to my ears than the Magni, the Jot felt more lean in the bass and mids. It really took life out of the LCD-3s musical sound. The synergy that the Magni had in the midrange is missing to me.

This led me to purchase the Fostex DAC/ Amp as it was $100 cheaper, with balanced (even if it is not 'truely' balanced). I figured why not? Cokenti my surprise, the Fostex is very on par in terms of presentation. It is not as powerful as the Jot, but powered my 3's sufficiently and I preferred the sound. It is very close to my ears between the two, however I can here some notable differences.

The Fostex has a little more colorling in center imaging. A little more bloom to the lower mids and bass, a tiny bit more punch. Soundstage feels a fraction less than the Jot's presentation, but I believe this is true because the Fostex tames the highs more than the Jot. It's sweeter than the Jot, that's the best way to describe it. Just a few more granuals of sugar in the tea. The only thing that bothers me is how much I have to crank the volume knob. With the same listening volume ( low gain), The Jot is at 12 and the Fostex is at about 1:30-2. Not a big difference, but still a concern for future proofing.

Overall, I think I may keep the Fostex over the Jot. I like the slight color the Fostex gives and it's cheaper. The Jot, while good, feels less balanced to me. If anyone else is considering the Jot with the DAC, and prefers a more colored sound, consider the Fostex as well.

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #4,370 of 6,472
Line out of OPPO ( FL and FR ) to "SE In" on Jot.

Make sure Input switch on front of JOT is down.

Thanx. That's how I hooked it up originally and tried it again.
This time, I turned the Jot volume up and had to go to the AVR and turn the sound down completely. I got audio through the HP's but it was only the music score you could hear with a neary of dialogue.
I'm confused.
I have a pretty complex HT set up (to me at least) and have a dealer who pretty much does everything.
Any ideas? Do I need to list every component I have for assistance?
I thought this would be very easy and could do it on my own. I obviously hooked it up as you suggested the first time so at least I'm not that helpless.
I'd rather not have to depend on my dealer to do this plus it could take him a month to even get here.

Apr 13, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #4,371 of 6,472
Thanx. That's how I hooked it up originally and tried it again.
This time, I turned the Jot volume up and had to go to the AVR and turn the sound down completely. I got audio through the HP's but it was only the music score you could hear with a neary of dialogue.
I'm confused.
I have a pretty complex HT set up (to me at least) and have a dealer who pretty much does everything.

Is the Oppo set to mix down to Stereo?

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #4,373 of 6,472
Went through entire menu and see nothing
"Stero"
A little more info please?
Appreciated

Per your manual:

• If your TV has no digital video input but has component video inputs, please use a set of component video cables to connect the component video output of the player to the TV, and remember to set the “Primary Output” option in the setup menu to “Analog” (please see more details on page 52). The connectors are color coded, so please make sure the cable connections match on both ends. The component video connection will produce a very clear picture with high color accuracy

This is the key:

Set  " Primary output" to "Analog".

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #4,374 of 6,472
Per your manual:

• If your TV has no digital video input but has component video inputs, please use a set of component video cables to connect the component video output of the player to the TV, and remember to set the “Primary Output” option in the setup menu to “Analog” (please see more details on page 52). The connectors are color coded, so please make sure the cable connections match on both ends. The component video connection will produce a very clear picture with high color accuracy

This is the key:

Set  " Primary output" to "Analog".

Ok so you're saying I'm not going through HDMI anymore?
I guess I'm just not getting it as you're saying to go into the video settings and change from HDMI to analog. Not trying to be a smart ass because I'm not educated enough in this, but why would I want to go back to component cables? I'm not always going to use my HT under cans. And I also am not understanding why I would go into video settings when it's audio that I'm having issues with.
You're talking to someone who knows a lot less then you and 99% of everyone on this site.

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #4,375 of 6,472
Ok so you're saying I'm not going through HDMI anymore?
I guess I'm just not getting it as you're saying to go into the video settings and change from HDMI to analog. Not trying to be a smart ass because I'm not educated enough in this, but why would I want to go back to component cables? I'm not always going to use my HT under cans. And I also am not understanding why I would go into video settings when it's audio that I'm having issues with.
You're talking to someone who knows a lot less then you and 99% of everyone on this site.

Hdmi also outputs audio, and that audio is probably in 5.1/7.1, and those two formats use the center channel for dialog. Hooking up to the fl/fr outputs on the oppo are outputting the front left and front right channels from the 5.1/7.1 signal.

Edit: page 67 of your owners manual shows how to set the mix to stereo.

0g5jWoj.png

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #4,376 of 6,472
Went through entire menu and see nothing
"Stero"
A little more info please?
Appreciated

From page 67 of Oppo Manual

Down Mix Mode to Stereo, see below

Down mix is the process of converting multi-channel audio to a lesser number of channels. For
example, converting a 5.1ch source to stereo or converting a 7.1ch source to 5.1ch. Down mixing
allows the audio output from the player to match the exact number of speakers available in your home
theater.
The current down mix mode is displayed in the lower right corner of the speaker placement illustration.
To change the audio down mix setting, press the ENTER button while the cursor is over the “Down Mix”
option. The following down mix modes are available:
FL
SW
C FR
SR
SBL SBR
SL LT/RT
Stereo
5.1Ch
7.1Ch
Speaker Configuration
Exit
Choose down mix mode
Down Mix Mode: 7.1Ch
Down Mix
Test Tone : Off
• LT/RT – Left Total/Right Total. The center and surround channels are mixed into the two front
channels according to the LT/RT matrix. A Dolby Pro Logic receiver will decode the twochannel
audio into surround audio.
• Stereo - This mode down-mixes multi-channel audio to 2-channel stereo output. For original
stereo content the output will not change. For original multi-channel content the surround and
center channels will be mixed with the left and right front channels. Recommended for use with
TV sets or stereo receiver/amplifiers.
• 5.1Ch – This mode enables 5.1ch decoded
Edit: I see someone posted already 
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #4,377 of 6,472
Hdmi also outputs audio, and that audio is probably in 5.1/7.1, and those two formats use the center channel for dialog. Hooking up to the fl/fr outputs on the oppo are outputting the front left and front right channels from the 5.1/7.1 signal.

Edit: page 67 of your owners manual shows how to set the mix to stereo.

0g5jWoj.png

Thank you ever so kindly. I finally got it. Sounds incredible.
I appreciate the help from all you guys to get me through my frustration.
I'm sure I'll get better at this and learn as I go. Plus I got you guys.
This is a really good community. Glad to be part of it and my new world of DACS and amps. Didn't know what I was missing

Apr 13, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #4,378 of 6,472
This is a really good community. Glad to be part of it and my new world of DACS and amps. Didn't know what I was missing

Could not have said it much better myself to all those who take their time to help, guide, advice, knowledge, sharing and walking you through.

Without this community, I can not imagine deciding to take my love of music much higher without ALL of your help and patience...lots of patience

Thank you for making this place that is open to all and with hardly any looking down from those at the top to those that are just starting their journey. It is a journey and I feel a million times more confident that you are all here.

Cheers

Apr 13, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #4,379 of 6,472

You're very welcome. That's what a forum community is all about; helping each other out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back