Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 25, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #4,202 of 6,469
  How hot should the Jot get? Mine gets pretty hot to the touch, and even the volume knob gets pretty warm.

That is normal for all of Schiit's designs. Class A stuff gets warm, and even Pivot Point can apparently get a bit toasty. That should be expected when it can output as much power as it does.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #4,205 of 6,469
  That is normal for all of Schiit's designs. Class A stuff gets warm, and even Pivot Point can apparently get a bit toasty. That should be expected when it can output as much power as it does.

Jotunheim is A/B. Drive it hard and you go past the crossover point. If it gets that hot that has more to do with how many more components are under there running a balanced circuit vs having a single-ended Class A/B circuit.

Mar 25, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #4,206 of 6,469
  The best cable, hands down, for the money: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=81

If you want to customize the length just send them an email. Matt is fantastic to work with and makes a high quality, sturdy product that is a joy to use and look at. It also sounds great.

Also, you always want 115V for American use.

Do you work for them??
What a none-statement. ''best cable, hands down, for the money" ///

- Compared to what?
- Based on the fact that you don't even have a Jot? 

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #4,208 of 6,469
  Don't understand why "noob", depends on where are you living. 
confused.gif

Yeah, you're right. It was just a simple momentary lapse of reasoning. Silly question so I stand corrected.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #4,209 of 6,469
  The best cable, hands down, for the money: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=81

If you want to customize the length just send them an email. Matt is fantastic to work with and makes a high quality, sturdy product that is a joy to use and look at. It also sounds great.

Also, you always want 115V for American use.

Thank you.Yeah, don't know what I was thinking about the Voltage. It HAS to be 115V in the states. 
As for the upgraded cables, I already checked out what you suggested and they look good.
I'm seeing this topic can get quite heated with varying opinions on upgrading of cables. Well the way I look at it, it 's no biggie as logic tells me (and it could be flawed) that any upgrade will make some type of difference in sound. If not?...well then I have a nice new set of custom cables (proper length too) and I won't have to worry about a male to female plug extension cable either.
As a side-note, (I posted in another thread) I had a ton of rewards points from one of my credit cards and they offered up the Sony MDR-1A cans for a descent amount of points. So I pulled the plug on them. Really interested in how they'll pair with the Jot as they're pretty bass heavy.
I appreciate the time and words bro!

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #4,210 of 6,469
I highly recommend re-terminating the stock hd650 cable to 4 pin xlr for the Jotunheim if you want to try a balanced cable. IMO the forza, cardas, and other cables that cost $100+ aren't worth the money if you purely want better sound, as the stock hd650 cable is really good. Personally I have an Impact Audio cable and while it looks and feels fantastic, it made no difference in sound. I'm going to be making my own custom braided HD650 cable here soon, but only for the looks and ergonomics.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #4,211 of 6,469
  Do some quick testing on cables to see if you are special and can hear the difference.  As others in various thread have noted a new expensive cable always solves an issue, if the sound is too warm the new $$$$ cable tightened up the bass and gave it better definition, treble too hot, the new cable brought it under control, you never hear of a bad result with a cable change, why, someone needs to justify to them selves that they spend money for nothing.  If anything do yourself a favor and test the cable, have someone change the cable and see if you can notice the difference, if you do then the change would be worthwhile to you, if you can't notice any difference then move on and use the money for more music, another headphone, an amp, or a DAC, gear more likely to have an effect on the sound.

Good advice. I appreciate your feedback. It's amazing the varying opinions on this site to upgrade or not to upgrade cables.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #4,212 of 6,469
I highly recommend re-terminating the stock hd650 cable to 4 pin xlr for the Jotunheim if you want to try a balanced cable. IMO the forza, cardas, and other cables that cost $100+ aren't worth the money if you purely want better sound, as the stock hd650 cable is really good. Personally I have an Impact Audio cable and while it looks and feels fantastic, it made no difference in sound. I'm going to be making my own custom braided HD650 cable here soon, but only for the looks and ergonomics.

That's good to know that the stock cables in your opinion (along with many others) are good. It really sucks to be a noob not knowing any of this stuff. I'm just trying to make good decisions based off everyone's recommendations/opinions without "wasting" a bunch of money on needless upgrades. 
And yes, I've read exactly what you're advising about swapping out the stock cable for the 4 pin xlr for the Jot. THAT seems the way I should go seeing I'm going to have this amp in a few weeks. I'm extremely stoked!!
I appreciate your time to respond back to my questions.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #4,214 of 6,469

Do you work for them??
What a none-statement. ''best cable, hands down, fro the money" ///

- Compared to what?
- Based on the fact that you don't even have a Jot? 

Woah dude, calm down, sorry for the hyperbole, I've just been very happy with my Forza cables. They don't claim to improve every facet of sound, but they feel and look amazing while only being about 200 bucks for a great cable, so compared to other cables in the category at and above that price point, it's a great value. When recommending a cable I shouldn't have to own the amp or headphone to recommend one, it's mostly about ergonomics, looks, and value to me with cables. 

I guess I'll just leave this thread, then.

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #4,215 of 6,469
Woah dude, calm down, sorry for the hyperbole, I've just been very happy with my Forza cables. They don't claim to improve every facet of sound, but they feel and look amazing while only being about 200 bucks for a great cable, so compared to other cables in the category at and above that price point, it's a great value. When recommending a cable I shouldn't have to own the amp or headphone to recommend one, it's mostly about ergonomics, looks, and value to me with cables. 

I guess I'll just leave this thread, then.

Cables can be a touchy subject to some. Mainly because of the crazy claims by some sellers that promise it to solve every problem while they make a ton of money off selling them. But you stated it feels like a great quality cable and looks better. Hard for anyone to deny that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back