Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 22, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #4,186 of 6,472
Lol there is a physical change though with use as there is friction when the knob turns, and the friction will lessen and smooth out as it is used.  Same reason Deoxit is used on pots periodically and they are turned hundreds of times to lubricate.  

Mar 23, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #4,188 of 6,472
  I find the volume knob on my Jot to be a little disappointing. It's hard to do fine volume adjustments as the knob isn't really smooth. If I want to move it a smidge, it takes a bit to overcome the initial friction, which causes it to jump up or down instead of a nice smooth adjustment.

I find that the volume control on my Vail2 (as well as my previously owned Magni & Magni2U) to be kind of weak too.  I find that making a small volume adjustment doesn't really seem to generate any change in volume.  Instead you need to turn it quite a bit before it registers a noticeable volume changed and then it's too loud so you have to back it off to a desired level.  The Jot volume control is more sensitive and easier to dial in though.  My Lake People G109s volume control is superb...that's the way to implement it.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #4,189 of 6,472
I've had no issues with volume myself. Works well as it should.

Mar 23, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #4,190 of 6,472
I really like the pot on the Jot.  It works well for me...
beerchug.gif

Mar 23, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #4,192 of 6,472
Good morning/afternoon or evening
First post here as I'm a new member, today as a matter of fact. Be gentle.
Firstly this is all new to me so I'll get that out first because I'm not going to BS anyone. Talk to me as if I'm a very very simple man.
Im looking for an amp specifically for home theater usage. Blurays. This amp looks great for the money and some good people on another site have recommended this particular amp. It'll pair with my senn's 650's and an oppo 93.
Maybe something is mentioned in the 200+ pages in this thread so I apologize if this has been asked already.
I can't find a thing anywhere in any forum/thread/site, that gives an opinion or review for movie watching with this amp. I would be so appreciative if any feedback and/or opinion could be offered up by the fine folks in this thread.
I want to make a solid decision based off the opinions of you guys. I can't test drive this baby out so my purchase will be strictly based off of opinions and member ownership of this amp.
Cheers.

Mar 23, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #4,193 of 6,472
Good morning/afternoon or evening
First post here as I'm a new member, today as a matter of fact. Be gentle.
Firstly this is all new to me so I'll get that out first because I'm not going to BS anyone. Talk to me as if I'm a very very simple man.
Im looking for an amp specifically for home theater usage. Blurays. This amp looks great for the money and some good people on another site have recommended this particular amp. It'll pair with my senn's 650's and an oppo 93.
Maybe something is mentioned in the 200+ pages in this thread so I apologize if this has been asked already.
I can't find a thing anywhere in any forum/thread/site, that gives an opinion or review for movie watching with this amp. I would be so appreciative if any feedback and/or opinion could be offered up by the fine folks in this thread.
I want to make a solid decision based off the opinions of you guys. I can't test drive this baby out so my purchase will be strictly based off of opinions and member ownership of this amp.
Cheers.

I don't own one yet, but I'm a huge HT fan and used to wear closed headphones at night (now that I have a dedicated theater I don't need to). I would jump on the Jot for sure. I used a Magni for a while for movies and it was really great, the Jot is a massive improvement in topology and power. It has plenty of power for great movie dynamics. You really can't find another amp even close to it in power for the money, so yes, even though you are new, you really spotted the ideal choice for an amp for movie viewing over headphones. Use the XLR outputs on your Oppo to the Jot and I'm sure you're going to be more than amazed. I also think it will likely pair really well with the 650 since they have that old reputation of being a little veiled. The Jot apparently has a slightly bright presentation and this will likely liven up the 650's a bit for you.

Also go buy a balanced cable for your 650's so you can extract the most power out of the Jot for them. I love Forza Audioworks cables.

Mar 24, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #4,194 of 6,472
Thanks. I appreciate the confirmation. I'll Definitely upgrade the cables. I'll need an extention too.
I've also got a dedicated HT but with the wife now working overnight and bed at 6pm, it's headphones for me a lot of the time. Running cans through the AVR just isn't doing it for me.

Mar 24, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #4,196 of 6,472
What type of cable upgrade specifically do you recommend? Best for the money.
Also on the Jot, I'm not sure what voltage is needed as I have 2 choices and in chose the 115 Volts. Tells you just what kind of a noob I am.

Mar 24, 2017 at 10:10 PM Post #4,198 of 6,472
Also on the Jot, I'm not sure what voltage is needed as I have 2 choices and in chose the 115 Volts. Tells you just what kind of a noob I am.

The best cable, hands down, for the money: http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=81

If you want to customize the length just send them an email. Matt is fantastic to work with and makes a high quality, sturdy product that is a joy to use and look at. It also sounds great.

Also, you always want 115V for American use.

Mar 24, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #4,199 of 6,472

Do some quick testing on cables to see if you are special and can hear the difference.  As others in various thread have noted a new expensive cable always solves an issue, if the sound is too warm the new $$$$ cable tightened up the bass and gave it better definition, treble too hot, the new cable brought it under control, you never hear of a bad result with a cable change, why, someone needs to justify to them selves that they spend money for nothing.  If anything do yourself a favor and test the cable, have someone change the cable and see if you can notice the difference, if you do then the change would be worthwhile to you, if you can't notice any difference then move on and use the money for more music, another headphone, an amp, or a DAC, gear more likely to have an effect on the sound.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #4,200 of 6,472
  Do some quick testing on cables to see if you are special and can hear the difference.  As others in various thread have noted a new expensive cable always solves an issue, if the sound is too warm the new $$$$ cable tightened up the bass and gave it better definition, treble too hot, the new cable brought it under control, you never hear of a bad result with a cable change, why, someone needs to justify to them selves that they spend money for nothing.  If anything do yourself a favor and test the cable, have someone change the cable and see if you can notice the difference, if you do then the change would be worthwhile to you, if you can't notice any difference then move on and use the money for more music, another headphone, an amp, or a DAC, gear more likely to have an effect on the sound.

I don't really disagree with this, I just find that a lot of stock cables suck now. My LCD-2 cable was too long, really thin, and a strange texture that didn't feel nice on my skin, and it always kinked up all over the place, and I was getting little pieces of it falling off after a year of use. Others I've found to just be way too cheap and flimsy. Forza's copper cables are pretty reasonably priced and they feel amazing. They never kink up because of the braid he does, they just work so well and they make the headphones look even more beautiful. I would say there's maybe a 1-5% improvement in sound, but it's just minor nuance. 99% of the benefit for me with cables is simply ergonomics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back