Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 25, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #3,151 of 6,469
Just set up my Jot and I'm already loving it. It sounds brilliant and there's plenty of power for everything I have
smily_headphones1.gif

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to you.

And welcome to the Jot club...

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3,152 of 6,469

Unfortunately you won't find any balanced amp that does this.  

It's not a Schiit limitation.

Just about every audio manufacturer out there relies on off the shelf parts for their connectors, and while there are TRS connectors with internal mute switches, there are no 4 pin XLR connectors with this type of switch.

Schiit simply can't order the parts necessary for this behavior, because they don't exist.

Doesn't the Audio-GD NFB28 have a switch to switch between (balanced) headphones and preamp?
Of course that's different from relying on removing the headphones - it's even better.

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #3,153 of 6,469

Doesn't the Audio-GD NFB28 have a switch to switch between (balanced) headphones and preamp?
Of course that's different from relying on removing the headphones - it's even better.

True, but if you are relying on a manual switch, you'd be better off just powering off your power amp/ powered monitors, and saving yourself some power while you are at it.

Leaving your speaker amp on all the time just in case you are going to use it is horribly wasteful :p

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #3,154 of 6,469

True, but if you are relying on a manual switch, you'd be better off just powering off your power amp/ powered monitors, and saving yourself some power while you are at it.

My studio monitors auto power off, then on when they get a signal (so I think just using minimal power).

Leaving your speaker amp on all the time just in case you are going to use it is horribly wasteful :p

Unfortunately I can't say the same about my 5.1 Active speakers, which have been burning energy 24/7 for 12 years
eek.gif

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #3,157 of 6,469
How does the Jotunheim's amp compare to the Mjolnir v1? Is there any reason to get the Mjolnir v1 over the Jotunheim now?

I am thinking the same, except with the Mjolnir 2 for use with ZMF Ori, Atticus and Eikon.

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #3,158 of 6,469
I kind of wish I waited and just got the mojo for my zmf. I'd wait to see what schiit does next year though.

Dec 27, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #3,160 of 6,469
  How does the Jotunheim's amp compare to the Mjolnir v1? Is there any reason to get the Mjolnir v1 over the Jotunheim now?

Having owned both, my ears tell me Jotunheim is the better amp, so my opinion is no.

Dec 27, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #3,161 of 6,469
I bought an IFi micro iCan SE transportable amp for
Travel to use in conjunction with my QP1R as a dap and HE 1000 and this is a very punchy and clean sounding amp. It seems to be twice as powerful as the Jot that I also have at home and for some music actually prefer the additional base boost or 3-D effects albeit subtle changes. Does anyone else have this little wonder of an amp!!

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,163 of 6,469
Wow. That says a lot. Thx.

Does anyone know how the Jot's $100 add-on DAC compares to Schiits stand alone DACs?
Better than Modi2, not as good as Bifrost?

The Jot's $100 DAC does not even come remotely close to as good as my Gungnir Multibit or my boss's Bifrost Multibit. It's night and day, and I don't say that lightly. Jot's DAC isn't necessarily "bad," but it not even playing the same sport as Gungnir Multibit and Bifrost Multibit. 

Those are the only two with which I've compared it, so I can't speak for any other model (including Modi 2). Perhaps someone else can chime in who has heard more.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #3,164 of 6,469
Many in this thread got the Mimby (Modi MB) and say it is better than the Jotunheim DAC. It is also only $150 more that the Jotunheim DAC.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #3,165 of 6,469
Many in this thread got the Mimby (Modi MB) and say it is better than the Jotunheim DAC. It is also only $150 more that the Jotunheim DAC.

Also spdif coaxial & optical inputs:nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back