Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 27, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #3,166 of 6,472

The Jot's $100 DAC does not even come remotely close to as good as my Gungnir Multibit or my boss's Bifrost Multibit. It's night and day, and I don't say that lightly. Jot's DAC isn't necessarily "bad," but it not even playing the same sport as Gungnir Multibit and Bifrost Multibit. 

Those are the only two with which I've compared it, so I can't speak for any other model (including Modi 2). Perhaps someone else can chime in who has heard more.

The Modi 2 Multibit is the sonic equal, and in some ways superior of the Bifrost Multibit for a much smaller cost. It's ridiculous. Schiit undercutting themselves again. There's not a whole lot of reason to buy a Bifrost Multibit right now, go Mimby or person up and look the Gumby/Yggy in the eye. It's that good.

There is, apparently, an odd edge case that you'd only hear on a speaker rig that costs as much as a decent car where you'd hear more impressive bass from the Bimby, but you won't hear that on a headphone rig, however good. If you had that amount of money, you'd likely have a better DAC already though- we're talking monster rigs.

It doesn't stack neatly with the Jot of course- but with a set of PYST cables, you can perch it on top, without obstructing most of the ventilation holes, and it all works very nicely.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #3,167 of 6,472

The Modi 2 Multibit is the sonic equal, and in some ways superior of the Bifrost Multibit for a much smaller cost. It's ridiculous. Schiit undercutting themselves again. There's not a whole lot of reason to buy a Bifrost Multibit right now, go Mimby or person up and look the Gumby/Yggy in the eye. It's that good.

There is, apparently, an odd edge case that you'd only hear on a speaker rig that costs as much as a decent car where you'd hear more impressive bass from the Bimby, but you won't hear that on a headphone rig, however good. If you had that amount of money, you'd likely have a better DAC already though- we're talking monster rigs.

It doesn't stack neatly with the Jot of course- but with a set of PYST cables, you can perch it on top, without obstructing most of the ventilation holes, and it all works very nicely.

I haven't heard the Modi Multibit to comment on the sound, but with respect to price, it's worth considering that Bifrost is upgradable and the Modi Multibit is throwaway when technology improves.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #3,168 of 6,472

I haven't heard the Modi Multibit to comment on the sound, but with respect to price, it's worth considering that Bifrost is upgradable and the Modi Multibit is throwaway when technology improves.

However, the Bifrost Multibit upgrade board on its own costs more than the whole Modi Multibit, and the latter is considerably more useful on its own for building secondary rigs, should you outgrow it- not to mention exponentially easier to move as a used unit.

If you don't already have a legacy non-multibit Bifrost, it's a bit of a hard sell. There currently isn't anything to upgrade the Bifrost to that improves it demonstrably beyond the Mimby. Maybe if there was, it'd be a valid consideration. As it is, the only real reason to pay way more than twice the price for no real improvement in sound is if you were super-OCD about stacking form factors.

The Bifrost is a perfectly good DAC, just it's a bit of an anomaly at present, at that price. If you were buying your first Multibit, in the post-Mimby era, your sane choices would be Mimby, Gumby or Yggy. For now.

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #3,169 of 6,472

Keep it you might never know it could be use as balance dac with a a pair of mimby's in the future . :nerd:

Dec 27, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #3,170 of 6,472

However, the Bifrost Multibit upgrade board on its own costs more than the whole Modi Multibit, and the latter is considerably more useful on its own for building secondary rigs, should you outgrow it- not to mention exponentially easier to move as a used unit.

If you don't already have a legacy non-multibit Bifrost, it's a bit of a hard sell. There currently isn't anything to upgrade the Bifrost to that improves it demonstrably beyond the Mimby. Maybe if there was, it'd be a valid consideration. As it is, the only real reason to pay way more than twice the price for no real improvement in sound is if you were super-OCD about stacking form factors.

The Bifrost is a perfectly good DAC, just it's a bit of an anomaly at present, at that price. If you were buying your first Multibit, in the post-Mimby era, your sane choices are basically Mimby, Gumby or Yggy.

All very good things come to those who wait.  

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 27, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #3,172 of 6,472
Well, my curiosity is now spiking.

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #3,174 of 6,472
Interesting.

Maybe there's a balanced, multibit "Bifrost 2" in the works...

It should be, both perfect match desktop size.:nerd:

Dec 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #3,176 of 6,472

I prefer the side by side approach :p

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #3,177 of 6,472

All very good things come to those who wait.  

Any updates on the Bifrost MB, particularly higher oversampling burrito filter, higher DAC chip and discrete analog stage, i.e. trickle down the Gungnir Multibit?

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #3,179 of 6,472
Interesting.

Maybe there's a balanced, multibit "Bifrost 2" in the works...

That would be awesome. If not outside of my pricerange, I'd be on the interested list for this.

I love my Modi Multibit, but it would be nice to have an entire balanced chain.

That would require a new case though, as the existing Bifrost case doesn't have holes for balanced outputs.

I wonder if they go down this track, it means it becomes a new bifrost all together without upgrade options from the previous Bifrost (which would likely annoy some as they paid for bifrost for the upgradeability) or if they can find a way to make it yet another upgrade.

Of course now they face the same dilemma they always face. Singificantly upgrade bifrost? Now what do you do with Gungnir? A Gungnir upgrade? Then what happens to Yggdrasil?

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #3,180 of 6,472
im wondering what they will cook up besides dac and phono inputs in jotunheim?

Good things to come too?:nerd:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back