Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 1, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #421 of 6,473
It's all going to depend on the topology, the implementation, and the rest of the chain. On the Jotunheim, due to the topology, the difference is subtle. On the Liquid Carbon the difference is much more pronounced.

Yes yes yes I know I know I know it been explained over and over and over and over.... And over here at headfi.:grinning:

Sep 1, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #422 of 6,473
Was so excited to see this release!
I'm so torn now with this new product out. It's great for it's price point and now it's thrown me off as to what Schiit to get!
I was planning to get a Mjolnir 2 and a Gungir. Mjolnir first and when I have money again finish it off with the Gungir but now with this available I'm considering different options

Really want balanced outputs for my studio monitors though, cause I'm pretty sure PRE OUT is not the same as BAL OUT.

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #423 of 6,473

Really want balanced outputs for my studio monitors though, cause I'm pretty sure PRE OUT is not the same as BAL OUT.

This is what the manual says:

"6. Balanced Preamp Output. Connect to powered monitors or a speaker amp."

I'm going to use mine like that, it will need to connect to powered monitors. I would assume it will be perfectly fine. Can't wait until tomorrow to hear for myself!

Sep 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #424 of 6,473
Imagine if Bifrost Multibit had a balanced out. That and Jotunheim will the perfect office friendly balanced desktop setup!

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #425 of 6,473
  This is what the manual says:

"6. Balanced Preamp Output. Connect to powered monitors or a speaker amp."

I'm going to use mine like that, it will need to connect to powered monitors. I would assume it will be perfectly fine. Can't wait until tomorrow to hear for myself!

Ah, I see. I actually made a mistake.

I thought the higher end amps had "BAL OUT" that are meant to go to the monitors directly from the AMP.
They actually only have "BAL OUT" on their DACs for sending the signal to the "BAL IN" of their AMPs
rolleyes.gif
"PRE OUT" is what I thought "BAL OUT" actually meant
tongue.gif

So they work with powered monitors, that's great. Now I really want them haha!

Btw, @acguitar84 when you do get them and set em' up can you explain how they work in terms of which source plays when headphones and monitors are both plugged in?
I can't tell if the toggle switch in the front with the 3 diagrams if for switching outputs or if it is for something else... I know the other one is gain.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #426 of 6,473
Yes yes yes I know I know I know it been explained over and over and over and over.... And over here at headfi.:grinning:

Explained where? Curious about actual explanations of the difference, not partisan fights between Cavalli-bots and Schiit-heads. My intended use for my still-being-built LC v2  is SE input, balanced output, to take the place of an Asgard 2 in a microRendu>Bimby>amp>Ether C Flow chain. I considered ordering a Jot as well to compare, and then sell the loser or use it for a contemplated work setup, but if the Jot's balanced output is not that different from SE, maybe it's not much of a change from the Asgard 2 (yes, I know, very different topology, somewhat different specs, YMMV, ...).

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #427 of 6,473
Just got this amp (with DAC module) today and have been listening to it all afternoon. I have been using it with the LCD-XC, Ether C, and TH-X00 PH. The sound is very good on all three. I compared SE and balanced with Ether C and the XC's and wasn't able to discern a great difference in the sound quality. My favorite is the Ether C's because it draws me on to the stage and I get lost in the music. The clarity is amazing without losing the sweetness of the music. The TH-X00's keep their powerful bass and charm. I think this DAC is a bit more forgiving than the Modi MB. I moved the Modi MB to my bedroom setup. I will continue to experiment with this unit, but my initial impression is that for someone who doesn't already own a ton of equipment, this is an amazing desktop solution for this price if you have any headphones with balanced cables. I have been waiting on my LC order, but now I'm not sure if I care when it comes in now.

Sep 1, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #428 of 6,473
Explained where? Curious about actual explanations of the difference, not partisan fights between Cavalli-bots and Schiit-heads. My intended use for my still-being-built LC v2  is SE input, balanced output, to take the place of an Asgard 2 in a microRendu>Bimby>amp>Ether C Flow chain. I considered ordering a Jot as well to compare, and then sell the loser or use it for a contemplated work setup, but if the Jot's balanced output is not that different from SE, maybe it's not much of a change from the Asgard 2 (yes, I know, very different topology, somewhat different specs, YMMV, ...).

The last few pages of the hd800 thread currently have some explanation on balanced/SE. Fjrabon's posts specifically.

I can tell u that a balanced input on the LC is not required as it has a phase splitter. I know Stillhart did some testing and found little to no difference. I believe his findings were in the original LC thread and again reiterated in the 2nd run thread.

But that is betting off topic. Sorry

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #429 of 6,473
  Was so excited to see this release!
I'm so torn now with this new product out. It's great for it's price point and now it's thrown me off as to what Schiit to get!
I was planning to get a Mjolnir 2 and a Gungir. Mjolnir first and when I have money again finish it off with the Gungir but now with this available I'm considering different options

Will you monitors be really really far (like 50') away from the amp? If so, the balanced cables might reduce interference (if there is any). If the monitors are relatively close to the amp, then balanced cables won't many any sound quality difference.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #430 of 6,473
Originally Posted by Ngoliath /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I compared SE and balanced with Ether C and the XC's and wasn't able to discern a great difference in the sound quality.

My theory for this is that because of its unique topology, it might be the very first amp that has the ability to sound virtually identical from both of its SE and balanced outputs.

To my knowledge, all other amp topologies will favor either the SE out or the balanced out , but not both.  Unless the amp has two separate amp sections, one dedicated to the SE out and a completely separate section dedicated to the balanced out.  But a design like that is pretty rare, and usually expensive.

So this is a win-win.  You get a great sounding amp that has a SE output that performs nearly identical to its balanced output, so you don't have to buy a balanced cable to get the best from this amp.  And if for some very unlikely reason you need more power than the SE output can provide, the balanced output is capable of delivering over 3x more power than the SE output.

What's not to love?!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #431 of 6,473

Will you monitors be really really far (like 50') away from the amp? If so, the balanced cables might reduce interference (if there is any). If the monitors are relatively close to the amp, then balanced cables won't many any sound quality difference.

Nope they won't be anywhere near that distance they are more like 3ft away and 6ft on the other side
wink.gif
I know that XLR is for distance to reduce interference I just wanna get it anyways because I need to get better cables for between the speakers/amp regardless so I might as well get XLRs if the thing supports it!

Would I pay a ton more just to have that feature? Of course not, but if it has it then I'll do it that way cause why not y'know :p
Unless there is actually a benefit of going RCA when it's that short a distance that I'm unaware of, then I'd definitely stick with ol' RCA :p (Totally could be! I'm not that knowledgeable on the differences between XLR/RCA apart from the better distance/interference bit for XLR)

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #434 of 6,473
XLR jacks generally aren't sensing...

In this case the SE headphone outputs and the SE Pre Outs are not sensing either.  Just got my amp in last night and am very pleased. My ears (or the amp) aren't fully burned in yet but I am surprised how different it sounds from my Gustard.  More detailed, not as dark. Not bright or edgy (unless the recording is).  Sounds great with a wide variety of phones.

In my setup the pre-out not cutting off is fine.      What IS too bright is the front LED. I do not have other Schiit to compare it to, but far brighter than any other amp I have used and in a bedroom setup that's not good. Fortunately there is a  $7 Lightdims solution.  Amazon's $111 install charge seems a bit high but my neighbor is a stamp collector so can provide technical advice 
etysmile.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #435 of 6,473
  In this case the SE headphone outputs and the SE Pre Outs are not sensing either.  Just got my amp in last night and am very pleased. My ears (or the amp) aren't fully burned in yet but I am surprised how different it sounds from my Gustard.  More detailed, not as dark. Not bright or edgy (unless the recording is).  Sounds great with a wide variety of phones.

In my setup the pre-out not cutting off is fine.      What IS too bright is the front LED. I do not have other Schiit to compare it to, but far brighter than any other amp I have used and in a bedroom setup that's not good. Fortunately there is a  $7 Lightdims solution.  Amazon's $111 install charge seems a bit high but my neighbor is a stamp collector so can provide technical advice 
etysmile.gif

Congrats! What DAC are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back