Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 3, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #5,626 of 6,472
Hmmm... that’s interesting. If you see the melting occurred only at the female end and not at the male end, or in the headphone cable itself (I assume your headphones are working fine), it suggests that this was the point of shorting which could have caused an arc leading to the melting. Besides a loose connection, another possibility is, the soldering was so thick in the three wires, that one of them ended up touching the other causing the shorting, or a piece of solder broke loose creating a connection. Just a guess.

Perhaps you can post a picture of the melted connector so that people who have experience can come up with something? There’s also a dedicated DIY forum where you can ask to get more help.

No problem, I'll try uploading a pic tomorrow. BTW there's no melting on any of the connectors, apologies if I gave that impression.

Jul 3, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #5,627 of 6,472
A quick question for all the Jot owners out there. Has anyone tried preamping the Jot with a tube amp or the Saga? I love my Jot but sometimes it can be a little too much and I heard that the Jot paired with the Saga is a pretty good combo. While I also heard that the Saga was pretty neutral because it's just a preamp therefore it shouldn't change the signature of the Jot. So, would it be a good ideal to actually preamp the Jot with a tube hybrid or tube amp to tone it down and give its signature a bit of that tubey goodness?

Why not use the tube amp directly instead of feeding into jot? More amps in the audio path means potentially more distortion. Alternatively, if you want to tone down the treble, IMO a cleaner way would be to use the loki.

Jul 3, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #5,628 of 6,472
No problem, I'll try uploading a pic tomorrow. BTW there's no melting on any of the connectors, apologies if I gave that impression.

Ok. Since you mentioned about melted hot glue on the connector, I misunderstood. Grab a multimeter if you can and test for continuity between the connectors at each end (there shouldn’t be any). That may help you to pinpoint which of the wires could have shorted.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #5,629 of 6,472
Ok. Since you mentioned about melted hot glue on the connector, I misunderstood. Grab a multimeter if you can and test for continuity between the connectors at each end (there shouldn’t be any). That may help you to pinpoint which of the wires could have shorted.
Also let us know if the headphones are working correctly, even if you have to use a single ended cable. Make sure you test for continuity without cables being connected to anything. Test both your extension cable and the headphone cable.
Except for brief moments, my Jot has been powered up for almost a year with no problems.

Jul 3, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #5,630 of 6,472
Well your observations about the volume pot don't surprise me. I still don't care as I will never use IEM with this amp.

If your observations are true I feel a bit vindicated on my opinion of the smoothness I hear in my Jot.
I'll mention again, I never turn it off. And the Focals are a unforgiving tool of a speaker.

A friend of mine mixes on those Focals - great sounding monitors. I’m not surprised they work well with a Jot - IMO Jot’s are great with pro near-fields...

Jul 3, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #5,631 of 6,472
A friend of mine mixes on those Focals - great sounding monitors. I’m not surprised they work well with a Jot - IMO Jot’s are great with pro near-fields...

Part of why I bought them is to mix my own electronic music and drums, I'm a drummer. Building a studio in my basement with all the acoustic treatments and such this winter.
But if they weren't good for casual listening I would have sent them back, I'll probably never part with them.:ksc75smile:

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:43 PM Post #5,632 of 6,472
Part of why I bought them is to mix my own electronic music and drums, I'm a drummer. Building a studio in my basement with all the acoustic treatments and such this winter.
But if they weren't good for casual listening I would have sent them back, I'll probably never part with them.:ksc75smile:

Home studio - that sounds cool. My friend that I mentioned is a pro drummer, I play too, but definitely not at his level! Post some music when your studio is up and running!

Jul 3, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #5,633 of 6,472
Jul 4, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #5,635 of 6,472
I've considered going the "sagenheim" route as well, but after release of the Lyr 3, I think I'd just go that route, or maybe a Project Ember or Horizon as it's the same price (a bit more for the lyr) and you get more options.
I used my Vali 2 as a preamp for my Jot a while back but I didn't care for it because it changed the sound of the Jot too much. Perhaps I would have preferred the Saga but the bottom line is that I like my Jot just the way it is. Experimenting is fun though.

I agree with you guys on this. After careful consideration I decided to just sell my Jot and moved on. It's not worth preamping into the Jot, especially with all the options out there. If you like it you like it if you don't then you just gotta move on ):

Jul 6, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5,636 of 6,472
cross-posted from the forum that shall not be named:
I've been dicking around with mid-fi stuff for about 2 years (like the mojo, etc) and bought and returned a lot of stuff. In reading reviews / posts I've perceived this "musical" experience others are having, but I wasn't ... and I wasn't sure if it's the gear, my ears, or my head.

Anyway, TLDR - the Jot setup I have now could be endgame for me because it's finally to the point where the music is emotional again: I can FEEL the kick drum or, with just a tad suspension of disbelief, believe Lou Reed is right in front of me. I don't know what others mean by "euphonic", but for me this is it. (of course I'll make sure by purchasing ever more spendy hi-fi gear, but whatever, let's stay on topic as i'm trying to make a point here).

(1.) Nice set of cans
The key was first getting the right headphones for me which are the TH-x00 and to a certain extent the HD-600 which I kind of use as a reference; everything sounds "better" on the HD-600s, but it's not as musical as the TH-x00. It can depend on the track and blah blah blah, but in general the Fostex are my jam-cans. I tried the AFC, 650s, B&W P9s, and lots of other sub-$1k cans and learned a lot, but those two are my keepers.

(2.) Make 'em bounce
The next thing was getting the right DAC/amp. I'll skip the details, but eventually I settled on the Mimby / Jotunheim.

(3.) Strap 'em in!
It wasn't until I added the Eitr AND good cables that the magic happened. At first I went with "cables don't matter", then "sort of, but not with my mid-fi stuff", then "feck it, I think cables matter. a lot." And at that point I added Audioquest golden gate RCAs, cinnamon spdif, and carbon USB. To be clear (pun intended), I tried a lot of cables. I tried flipping them around. I tried DBTs. Cable matter - if they don't for you, that's cool, but they sure do for me (please use the "science" forums for technical pontifications in disagreement - also note all spendy cables had min 30 day return policies and I did return some spendier cables, so there's no risk to trying them). And it's weird because when I critically listen it's not a huge thing, but when I emotionally listen it's a huge thing. It wasn't until the AQs were in place that I realized, "holy schiit. this could be end-game right here. I don't even need an yggy or whatever!" (note: I'm totally still getting an yggy. let's not be unrealistic here). Final bit of "synergy"? I dunno.

Here are songs that proved to me - the kind of tracks that you think, "holy Schiit, THIS. THIS."

Crank it up.

- Perfect Day, Lou Reed - classic, intimate track to get things started
- My oh My, Punch Brothers - damn son! You'll forget you're not actually in the band by the end of this track
- Hot Butter, Nathy Peluso - holy sub-bass something just melted
- Big God, Florence + Machine - My wife for sure can never listen to this track, she's pissed enough
- Hit 'em Up Style, Carolina Chocolate Drops - this blue grass / folk remake of Blu Cantrell is awesome on youtube, watching the violin bowstring hair fry off, and this chick at 3m+ just blasts
- Tangerine, Rebecca Pidgeon - grab a cocktail, your best ascot, and watch the sunset
- Empty Temples, The Sword (Low Country) - pull up a hay bail to the fire, bring your guitar, and get ready to play melody
- Divine Moments of Truth, Shpongle - closest thing to a mushroom trip without mushrooms. By 30s you're hearing colors, and by 2m don't look at anybody! Snakes will crawl out of their eye sockets. I warned you.
- In the Mix (orig mix), Funk the Beat - turn out all the lights and grab a flashlight to jump around with but be careful - there's no predicting what your ass is gonna do with this track
- Last Night in Los Feliz, Niia - this chick will sing right through you on this track

Bonus track:
Back in the early 90s I was in NorCal and on Sunday mornings I used to go down to the ferry building area and there were these bleachers by the water and random people would show up with whatever instruments and just jam for hours. But always people with bongos. This track reminds me of that, and with the right system - whoa.

- Sangandongo, Niagra

MBP > Tidal Hi-Fi > AQ carbon > Eitr > AQ Cinnamon > Mimby > AQ Golden Gate > Jot > SE TH-x00 or Bal HD-600

More headphones coming, but not needed

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #5,637 of 6,472
I've been dicking around with mid-fi stuff for about 2 years (like the mojo, etc) and bought and returned a lot of stuff. In reading reviews / posts I've perceived this "musical" experience others are having, but I wasn't ... and I wasn't sure if it's the gear, my ears, or my head.

Anyway, TLDR - the Jot setup I have now could be endgame for me because it's finally to the point where the music is emotional again: I can FEEL the kick drum or, with just a tad suspension of disbelief, believe Lou Reed is right in front of me. I don't know what others mean by "euphonic", but for me this is it. (of course I'll make sure by purchasing ever more spendy hi-fi gear, but whatever, let's stay on topic as i'm trying to make a point here).

(1.) Nice set of cans
The key was first getting the right headphones for me which are the TH-x00 and to a certain extent the HD-600 which I kind of use as a reference; everything sounds "better" on the HD-600s, but it's not as musical as the TH-x00. It can depend on the track and blah blah blah, but in general the Fostex are my jam-cans. I tried the AFC, 650s, B&W P9s, and lots of other sub-$1k cans and learned a lot, but those two are my keepers.

(2.) Make 'em bounce
The next thing was getting the right DAC/amp. I'll skip the details, but eventually I settled on the Mimby / Jotunheim.

(3.) Strap 'em in!
It wasn't until I added the Eitr AND good cables that the magic happened. At first I went with "cables don't matter", then "sort of, but not with my mid-fi stuff", then "feck it, I think cables matter. a lot." And at that point I added Audioquest golden gate RCAs, cinnamon spdif, and carbon USB. To be clear (pun intended), I tried a lot of cables. I tried flipping them around. I tried DBTs. Cable matter - if they don't for you, that's cool, but they sure do for me (please use the "science" forums for technical pontifications in disagreement - also note all spendy cables had min 30 day return policies and I did return some spendier cables, so there's no risk to trying them). And it's weird because when I critically listen it's not a huge thing, but when I emotionally listen it's a huge thing. It wasn't until the AQs were in place that I realized, "holy schiit. this could be end-game right here. I don't even need an yggy or whatever!" (note: I'm totally still getting an yggy. let's not be unrealistic here). Final bit of "synergy"? I dunno.

Here are songs that proved to me - the kind of tracks that you think, "holy Schiit, THIS. THIS."

Crank it up.

- My oh My, Punch Brothers - damn son! You'll forget you're not actually in the band by the end of this track
- Big God, Florence + Machine - My wife for sure can never listen to this track, she's pissed enough
- Hit 'em Up Style, Carolina Chocolate Drops - this blue grass / folk remake of Blu Cantrell is awesome on youtube, watching the violin bowstring hair fry off, and this chick at 3m+ just blasts
- Tangerine, Rebecca Pidgeon - grab a cocktail, your best ascot, and watch the sunset
- Empty Temples, The Sword (Low Country) - pull up a hay bail to the fire, bring your guitar, and get ready to play melody
- Divine Moments of Truth, Shpongle - closest thing to a mushroom trip without mushrooms. By 30s you're hearing colors, and by 2m don't look at anybody! Snakes will crawl out of their eye sockets. I warned you.
- In the Mix (orig mix), Funk the Beat - turn out all the lights and grab a flashlight to jump around with but be careful - there's no predicting what your ass is gonna do with this track
- Last Night in Los Feliz, Niia - this chick will sing right through you on this track

Bonus track:
Back in the early 90s I was in NorCal and on Sunday mornings I used to go down to the ferry building area and there were these bleachers by the water and random people would show up with whatever instruments and just jam for hours. But always people with bongos. This track reminds me of that, and with the right system - whoa.

- Sangandongo, Niagra

MBP > Tidal Hi-Fi > AQ carbon > Eitr > AQ Cinnamon > Mimby > AQ Golden Gate > Jot > SE TH-x00 or Bal HD-600

(1.) Nice set of cans

(2.) Make 'em bounce

(3.) Strap 'em in!

Crank it up.

Bonus track:

- Sangandongo, Niagra

You sound like me trying to get that elusive "that's it" sound by trying this, then trying that. Glad to hear that you've achieved it. I've had and lost and re-found those aha moments with my Schiit DACs (2 Mimby's and 1 Bimby). Confusing as hell why those "perfect sound" moments come and go but for the last several months it's remained there...hopefully I don't jinx it now.

Yesterday I had probably one of my personal best definitive aha moments that came from the new Massdrop HD58X headphone. When I received it I immediately connected them to one of my systems and ran non stop for 2 straight days. Last night I decided to give them a brief audition. Turned out I ended up listening to them on all 3 of my headphone setups for 4+ hours only calling it quits when I kept nodding off at 1 am. What really got me was that these headphones sounded amazing on all 3 of my headphone setups. Aha indeed.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #5,638 of 6,472
I wanted to follow up on the noise issues when touching the volume knob at high volume, with only the power cord and a pair of headphones connected, gain set to high and the single ended inputs selected. I have experimented quite a bit when I had the Audioquest Niagara 1000 power conditioner on loan. I tried that one, the Furman PST-8 and a voltage transformer with both input and output voltage set to 120 V. No matter what I tried, the noise was the same, heavily influenced by whether I had my Surface Pro 4's power supply plugged in or not. I noticed that I'm even getting the noise when merely holding my hand above the Jotunheim, without even touching it. To me it seems that my body is picking up the noise, getting grounded through the Jotunheim in a way that affects its signal path, i.e. the noise is coming from me and gets amplified by the Jotunheim as it would amplify any other signal. If I have a better path to ground by touching the side of the Jotunheim's case with my other hand, or any other device with a metallic case that is plugged in and thus grounded, the noise goes away. Obviously, no power conditioner can help with that.

How much that has to do with @rutter's original noise issues, I don't know. Might be interesting to see what happens if the Jotunheim is placed in a Faraday cage ^^

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #5,639 of 6,472
My dad made an order today at schiit website for the jotunheI'm. We are from bangladesh and my dad is visiting USA next week. He used his credit card for purchase but apparently schiit has cancelled the order saying thwy think it is fraudulent activity.
Our country does not have paypal. What can be done?

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #5,640 of 6,472
My dad made an order today at schiit website for the jotunheI'm. We are from bangladesh and my dad is visiting USA next week. He used his credit card for purchase but apparently schiit has cancelled the order saying thwy think it is fraudulent activity.
Our country does not have paypal. What can be done?
Email them (orders@schiit.com) and tell them exactly what you've said here. They will tell you what they can do. Was he having it shipped to a US address or picking it up directly from Schiit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back