Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #5,656 of 6,469
Jul 7, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #5,657 of 6,469
Ethereal Universe/Dj Razzie/MagiCXBeats - any of those guys are pretty sweet :)
Awesome, thanks. I love trying new electronica artists. Really love well done sampled music. It can be so compelling. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have other recommendations mate. Thanks.

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #5,659 of 6,469
Does anyone know if they have any plans for a Toslink DAC module?

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the design would be easy to implement for them. If you look at the offerings they have now, none are powered by the internal board. I don't know if there is a power connection internally that they could utilize and would allow a Toslink module to function without another (external) power supply.

Happy to be wrong, because I would buy that module in a second.

Jul 8, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #5,661 of 6,469
Trying to decide between getting the Jot with Multibit Dac, an Senn HDV800, or a CMA600i. Any suggestions between these three picks guys? I will be listening with HD800s, LCD-2, HE-560, V Moda-100's and a few other cans.

HD800 may be too bright with Jot, though I've never tried it.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #5,662 of 6,469
Trying to decide between getting the Jot with Multibit Dac, an Senn HDV800, or a CMA600i. Any suggestions between these three picks guys? I will be listening with HD800s, LCD-2, HE-560, V Moda-100's and a few other cans.
LCD-2 should do well, I'd go multibit personally.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #5,663 of 6,469
My Jotunheim is buzzing around 12 o'clock and louder on input 1. Inputs 2 and 3 with nothing connected produce much louder buzzing.
Unplugging the USB cable doesn't change the buzz.
Different outlets produce different types of buzz.
Plugging into a power isolator doesn't affect the buzz.
The buzzing increases in volume when I touch the volume knob.
The buzzing decreases in volume when I touch the enclosure.

Any ideas?

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #5,664 of 6,469
Wow, another one, I am going to try and make my perfectly silent Jot misbehave. I'll let you all know.
It's a newer black one.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #5,665 of 6,469
My Jotunheim is buzzing around 12 o'clock and louder on input 1. Inputs 2 and 3 with nothing connected produce much louder buzzing.
Unplugging the USB cable doesn't change the buzz.
Different outlets produce different types of buzz.
Plugging into a power isolator doesn't affect the buzz.
The buzzing increases in volume when I touch the volume knob.
The buzzing decreases in volume when I touch the enclosure.

Any ideas?

(1.) disconnect all inputs and outputs except your headphones
(2.) move to a different side of the house and ideally find an outlet on it's own circuit/breaker and/or unplug everything from that circuit except the Jot - stay as far as possible from anything with a transformer like computers, TVs, appliances, etc
(3.) Plug in the jot and extend the power cord to its full length out the back and to the left away from all of the inputs, like this
\
[ jot ]
you

Still hear the buzz?

Jul 8, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #5,666 of 6,469
(1.) disconnect all inputs and outputs except your headphones
(2.) move to a different side of the house and ideally find an outlet on it's own circuit/breaker and/or unplug everything from that circuit except the Jot - stay as far as possible from anything with a transformer like computers, TVs, appliances, etc
(3.) Plug in the jot and extend the power cord to its full length out the back and to the left away from all of the inputs, like this
\
[ jot ]
you

Still hear the buzz?

I tried this on a different circuit and got more and different pitch buzz. Almost all my testing is just with the power cable and headphones connected. No difference with the power cable as far away as possible. Just when I put the power cord within about an inch of the enclosure.
Mine has a black case but isn't new. It has the balanced dac.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #5,667 of 6,469
I tried this on a different circuit and got more and different pitch buzz. Almost all my testing is just with the power cable and headphones connected. No difference with the power cable as far away as possible. Just when I put the power cord within about an inch of the enclosure.
Mine has a black case but isn't new. It has the balanced dac.

Any change by flipping through each input, high gain / low gain for each?

Are you far away from any transformers? (heaters, refrige, fans, etc)

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #5,668 of 6,469
Any change by flipping through each input, high gain / low gain for each?

Are you far away from any transformers? (heaters, refrige, fans, etc)

I am far away from transformers, and moving the amp around doesn't change the buzzing. High gain increases the volume of the noise. USB has the least buzz volume and the other two inputs have louder buzz.

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #5,669 of 6,469
I am far away from transformers, and moving the amp around doesn't change the buzzing. High gain increases the volume of the noise. USB has the least buzz volume and the other two inputs have louder buzz.

I wish I had more than the links I previously posted ... I solved my with a pangea power cord and AQ Golden Gates into my Eitr, with my amp and Eitr plugged into separate circuits. Given you're all-in-one, it might be trickier. In my case my guess is that the shielding and separate power grounds the EMI, but it's a guess

Jul 8, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #5,670 of 6,469
I tried my friends Jot with my HD800 and HE560 and both a little too much on the bright side for me.
My preferred amp for the following headphones:
HD800 - BH Crack
HE560 - Lyr2
LCD-2f - headphone output of UD-301 DAC or Project Ember

Users who are viewing this thread

Back