Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 2, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,071 of 6,472
Why does Schiit use FedEx? It's the absolute worse shipping service available! My Jot is 11 miles away from my house and it will now take 3 more days to get here. It traveled faster from Cali to Michigan than it will from one county to the next.

Hopefully it does not require a signature for delivery.
FedEx is better than UPS and USPS. What other options do you have?..

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #5,074 of 6,472
FedEx works great for me because I can redirect shipments to the Walgreens down the street, and so don't have to worry about being home when they deliver - I can just pick it up at Walgreens, which has great opening hours compared to similar destinations.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #5,076 of 6,472
I always choose USPS if I can as they will usually deliver the fastest and if your package arrives at a local hub a day early, they will actually deliver it that day, before the scheduled delivery date.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #5,077 of 6,472
I always choose USPS if I can as they will usually deliver the fastest and if your package arrives at a local hub a day early, they will actually deliver it that day, before the scheduled delivery date.
My last 2 deliveries both came a day earlier. Always USPS.

Dec 2, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #5,078 of 6,472
UPS stores are independent franchisers. They don't do deliveries.

But, in this case the store is across the street. Can't the package be shipped to the store for pickup by the recipient instead of having it delivered by truck?

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #5,079 of 6,472
Yes but the point is presumably many UPS trucks are going to and from UPS stores, so they should know how to get to my address since I'm right across the street and probably on those truck's routes.
It doesn't necessarily work that way. I can imagine them running routes that only do bulk pickup/delivery without side trips to individual residences.

But, in this case the store is across the street. Can't the package be shipped to the store for pickup by the recipient instead of having it delivered by truck?
You can actually have it both ways. "UPS My Choice" allows you to designate an Access Point (such as a UPS Store) as an alternate location if you're not home when the delivery arrives. However, it sounds like GrussGott isn't even getting delivery attempts and they are losing track of the package.

Dec 2, 2017 at 3:41 PM Post #5,080 of 6,472
I didn't mean to derail the thread discussing package carriers.

In regards to my new Jot the very first thing I notice compared to my recently sold Liquid Carbon 2.0 is the bass presence. It always was lacking with the LC. I'll keep listening and give my take on the Jot.

Dec 2, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #5,082 of 6,472
I didn't mean to derail the thread discussing package carriers.
It doesn't necessarily work that way. I can imagine them running routes that only do bulk pickup/delivery without side trips to individual residences. You can actually have it both ways. "UPS My Choice" allows you to designate an Access Point (such as a UPS Store) as an alternate location if you're not home when the delivery arrives. However, it sounds like GrussGott isn't even getting delivery attempts and they are losing track of the package.

Yeah, my point was more that I could understand missed deliveries if I lived in BF FarmTown or LabyrinthSubDivision but i'm in a major downtown metro with a very familiar address to the distribution center and UPS delivers hundreds of packages daily to my address. It shouldn't be rocket science. Further I have all of the UPS apps and accounts which is why I was able to talk to the manager at the distribution center. The point is, everybody is nice, but UPS process/systems/people/technology are overloaded and I predict a horrific holiday season for them.

FedEx has not had that problem and they also were able to customize my delivery for my Jot ... but it WAS a bit annoying. In order to set up custom deliveries, in addition to the apps, accounts, etc I also had to physically exchange USPS mail with them. That was odd. But hey, once I did it, now I can customize and, so far, I have a lot of confidence in FedEx.

Back to the Jot, one of my USPS deliveries was a spare HD600 cable and Neutrix XLR male plug. I'm going to try to build a balanced cable and, if it works, I may do some surgery on my Th-x00 cable ...

Dec 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #5,083 of 6,472
Would any of you be so kind to know if or as and when the Jotunheim DAC board will be upgraded to USB Gen 5?

If the really awesome Schiit masters update the USB to the latest and what looks like outstanding GEN 5, would they update the DAC chips to the most recent meaning the latest DAC chips in balanced configuration as they currently are would be an amazing upgrade and hold true to their ethos of upgrades giving a real longevity to your purchase.

Cheers :)

Dec 2, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #5,084 of 6,472
In order to set up custom deliveries, in addition to the apps, accounts, etc I also had to physically exchange USPS mail with them. That was odd.
I remember doing that. In their defense, I'm sure they implemented that protocol in response to getting scammed.
Back to the Jot, one of my USPS deliveries was a spare HD600 cable and Neutrix XLR male plug. I'm going to try to build a balanced cable and, if it works, I may do some surgery on my Th-x00 cable ...
I bought a premade cable. The Jot's powerful balanced output makes a small but noticeable difference, especially in the bass.

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #5,085 of 6,472
Would any of you be so kind to know if or as and when the Jotunheim DAC board will be upgraded to USB Gen 5?

If the really awesome Schiit masters update the USB to the latest and what looks like outstanding GEN 5, would they update the DAC chips to the most recent meaning the latest DAC chips in balanced configuration as they currently are would be an amazing upgrade and hold true to their ethos of upgrades giving a real longevity to your purchase.

Cheers :)
It won't be, there's not enough space. But Schiit is working on their own USB implementation which should save some space. Whether that will translate to "gen 6 USB" for just Modi/Gadget or also for Jotunheim, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back