Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 28, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #5,056 of 6,472
That's pretty cool, I think your body is acting as an antenna for the 60hz buzz!

You can try the same experiment but put a rca cable in the input and you should notice the buzz volume get louder the closer you the move the rca cable near your power cables. (tape or cover the other end of the rca so you don't get any loud surprises)

One of those cheap skinny RCA's should be less shielded and pick up more noise and act as a more sensitive antenna, you'll be able to find RF noise all around your home: anything with an inverter, your cell phone, wifi routers, etc.

Hmmm, tried that with my extremely cheap 6' rca-trs cord and got no response at all - only when I touch the volume pot and it doesn't matter what I do with the open end of the RCA cable. I even laid the rca cable over the power cord of a running air purifier - no 60 hz hum, only when I touch the volume pot.

I remain impressed at how much this Jot cleans up the sound - it's a lot more than I experienced out of the house and this is only single ended.

I'm going to play a month or so and then build a balanced HD600 cable ... not sure I have the guts to chop off the end of my TH-x00M, but I might grow a pair after I build the 600...

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #5,057 of 6,472
Any thoughts on moving from a Magni 3 to a Jotunheim and running my HE-4XX's balanced? I also couldn't find much about Jotunheim pairing with the HE-400 series in general so thoughts on that would be great too.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #5,058 of 6,472
Any thoughts on moving from a Magni 3 to a Jotunheim and running my HE-4XX's balanced? I also couldn't find much about Jotunheim pairing with the HE-400 series in general so thoughts on that would be great too.
How is the treble/highs on your TH-X00 and HE4XX with your current setup? If its just right you may not like the Jot since to me its a slightly brighter amp compared to the Magni3 but if you want a little more sparkle in the highs and possibly better sound stage then the Jot might work for you. You will have to mod the TH-X00 if you want to use it on the balanced output of the Jot

Dec 1, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #5,059 of 6,472
How is the treble/highs on your TH-X00 and HE4XX with your current setup? If its just right you may not like the Jot since to me its a slightly brighter amp compared to the Magni3 but if you want a little more sparkle in the highs and possibly better sound stage then the Jot might work for you. You will have to mod the TH-X00 if you want to use it on the balanced output of the Jot

I could use a bit more sparkle with the Fostex's for sure, and after a bit of listening to the HE-4XX's I wouldn't mind some more too as of now- so I guess that answers my question. And yeah, I need to get a mod for the Fostex, but then I'll at least be able to use the same cable for both. Thanks for the input.

Dec 1, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #5,060 of 6,472

I don't have the HE400 but I do have the HE500 (balanced) and it does sound very detailed and perhaps a tad bright through my Jot.

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #5,061 of 6,472
To those who find the Jot a tad bright may I recommend the Schitt Loki.

Had always been happy with my Jot. Even more with the Loki...

Dec 1, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #5,062 of 6,472
I don't have the HE400 but I do have the HE500 (balanced) and it does sound very detailed and perhaps a tad bright through my Jot.

Good to know, I am close to Schiit's retail store so I may just pick up a balanced cable and go up there to try it out, if I don't like it I'll sell the balanced cable I guess. Thanks for the input.

To those who find the Jot a tad bright may I recommend the Schitt Loki.

Had always been happy with my Jot. Even more with the Loki...

Loki is on my Christmas list so I may have even more of a reason to pick up a Jot. Thank you.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:54 AM Post #5,064 of 6,472
Why does Schiit use FedEx? It's the absolute worse shipping service available! My Jot is 11 miles away from my house and it will now take 3 more days to get here. It traveled faster from Cali to Michigan than it will from one county to the next.

Hopefully it does not require a signature for delivery.

Dec 2, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #5,065 of 6,472
Why does Schiit use FedEx? It's the absolute worse shipping service available! My Jot is 11 miles away from my house and it will now take 3 more days to get here. It traveled faster from Cali to Michigan than it will from one county to the next.

Are you talking about the Schiit store 11 miles away? If so, I thought I read you could go right to their store and pick it up.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #5,066 of 6,472
Are you talking about the Schiit store 11 miles away? If so, I thought I read you could go right to their store and pick it up.

No, it's at the FedEx location near me. But the office is closed today and tomorrow.

Dec 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #5,067 of 6,472
Ah, I see. That's sucks man. I know the feeling waiting for something that you're Jones-ing for. Well anyway, I'm sorry you have to wait but it'll be that much more worth it. Please tell us how you like it when you finally get it and test drive it for a bit.

Dec 2, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #5,069 of 6,472

Ha, I'm the opposite - I hate UPS, and FedEx has been working out, especially my Jot delivery.

I live in downtown silicon valley across the street from a UPS store and in the last 3 months they've failed to deliver 3 packages (2 from amazon, one from B&W). And I now know when this is going to happen because the tracking will go from "order processed" to "out for delivery". Then it doesn't show, then I call the shipper, UPS assures them it's on the truck and will be delivered today! Then it isn't, then UPS tomorrow for sure! Then it isn't.

This last time I drove down to the UPS distribution center and spoke with the manager - the weird thing was he looked it up on his computers and said, "I don't show us as having it but they say we have it" (I don't understand how that happens but whatever) and then he called the driver who told him they don't have it, so he marked it as lost. When I got back I called UPS and asked to speak with a manager and we spoke for an hour - he was a nice guy and knowledgable but at the end of the day my opinion is UPS is cracking at the seams; they are being over-run by volume they don't want to turn down, and their systems, process, and staffing can't handle it and aren't built for it.

FedEx on the other hand - SO FAR - has been great, their apps work, I was able to file a vacation hold on my Jotunheim and schedule other deliveries ... and they seem to have their shiit together.

It's going to be interesting if Amazon starts their own delivery service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back