Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 18, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #5,026 of 6,472
I’ve had my Jot for about a week and it really, really makes my Ether C Flows sing. My first Schiit product and am very impressed.

My LCv2 bought the farm 3-4 times in a month/6 week, and I was generously offered a full refund. No disparagement to the Carbon, but the Jot drives the ECF with so much more authority.

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #5,027 of 6,472
When you love your amp, you let it make new friends...

P_20171112_142403_vHDR_On_1.jpg
P_20171112_144819_vHDR_On_1.jpg
P_20171118_154551_vHDR_On_1.jpg
P_20171118_142813_vHDR_On_1.jpg
P_20171118_152338_vHDR_On_1.jpg
P_20171118_152625_vHDR_On_1.jpg
P_20171119_161329_vHDR_On_1.jpg
P_20171119_162335_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #5,029 of 6,472
Schiit! Maybe someday I can afford all those cans!
Haha, that'll be a good day. Sadly, all of these (edit: except for the AR-H1) are owned by Audio Vision SF or Sennheiser, but I convinced the former to give me my own pair of one of them with the might of my credit card.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #5,030 of 6,472
When you love your amp, you let it make new friends...

Get the Mimby. That's the first friend you want the Jot to make. Then you can get many more headphones to act super friendly with your audio chain :smile_phones:

Nov 20, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #5,031 of 6,472
Get the Mimby. That's the first friend you want the Jot to make. Then you can get many more headphones to act super friendly with your audio chain :smile_phones:
Hehe, I'm torn between balanced and Bimby. If Schiit made a balanced multibit DAC in Bifrost form, I'd be all over that. Schiit is working on their own USB implementation, which uses up less space, so... who knows?
Then again as I just found out, the Jotunheim can run fully blanced with a single ended source, without those (apparently) horrible phase splitters. Hmmm!
However, I also want to get an Yggdrasil at some point, I think I'll focus on that first.

Nov 20, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #5,032 of 6,472
My Jotunheim got here maybe 30 minutes ago. I hooked it up to the Modi Multibit and my first impressions are that this could be a 30 year item for me.

I've had a Vali 2 for more than a year and a half, and I still want to keep it for now, but this is a big step up. The low end is definitely stronger, more solid, and goes deeper with my headphones.

I have the K7XX and HD650. The 650s sound awesome out of the balanced connection, as I heard down at RMAF in Denver last weekend. The K7XX also eat up the extra power but I'm not able to run them balanced as a stock headphone.
I was right here a while back, thinking I would keep my Vali2 side by side with the Jot, but I just ended up not using the Vali2 and eventually selling it. The Jot sounds better than the Vali2 with all of the 'phones I have (many, or most, disagree), and it seemed silly to keep it and not use it. YMMV of course.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #5,033 of 6,472
I was right here a while back, thinking I would keep my Vali2 side by side with the Jot, but I just ended up not using the Vali2 and eventually selling it. The Jot sounds better than the Vali2 with all of the 'phones I have (many, or most, disagree), and it seemed silly to keep it and not use it. YMMV of course.

My "problem" is that when I buy an amp or a DAC, when I upgrade, instead of selling what I already have I just create an additional listening room.

Nov 20, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #5,034 of 6,472
My "problem" is that when I buy an amp or a DAC, when I upgrade, instead of selling what I already have I just create an additional listening room.

I know what you mean, LOL!

Nov 21, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #5,036 of 6,472
Hehe, I'm torn between balanced and Bimby. If Schiit made a balanced multibit DAC in Bifrost form, I'd be all over that. Schiit is working on their own USB implementation, which uses up less space, so... who knows?
Then again as I just found out, the Jotunheim can run fully blanced with a single ended source, without those (apparently) horrible phase splitters. Hmmm!
However, I also want to get an Yggdrasil at some point, I think I'll focus on that first.
Bimby>Jot is a great pairing. Lots of power, solid, well-delineated bass, clean mid-to-upper range, good transients. Jot is ridiculously good value: in my extensive listening, it beat the twice as expensive Cavalli Liquid Carbon and it gets close to the 3x more expensive Neurochrome HP-1. As for the Bimby, I own several more expensive DACs (Yggy, Holo Spring KTE 3, Soekris dac1541), but I'm not disappointed when I listen to the Bimby. Yes, those others may give more detail and instrument separation, but the Bimby is clear, lively, and very enjoyable overall.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #5,037 of 6,472
I received my Jot a couple of days ago to replace my old Fiio 09. I've been pairing it with my (also new) Sennheiser HD650s. Unfortunately, I'm really not liking the sound at all. The resolution, detail and soundstage are all much better than my Fiio, but I can't stand the highs. They literally hurt my ears, even at volumes that I wouldn't consider loud at all. I can't turn it up above 10pm before the highs just kill me, but the mids and lows sound great at around 12pm. I'm probably going to return it as 550 euro is just too much money to spend on something I don't absolutely love. Don't know if I can go back to my Fiio though..

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #5,038 of 6,472
Some things to try: Leave Jot on all the time, many including myself think it sounds better warm and on 24/7. Try using the low gain setting. To my ears, it is less harsh in the highs and a little more tame and relaxed overall. If these two things don't help, then Jot might not be for you.

Nov 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #5,039 of 6,472
Some things to try: Leave Jot on all the time, many including myself think it sounds better warm and on 24/7. Try using the low gain setting. To my ears, it is less harsh in the highs and a little more tame and relaxed overall. If these two things don't help, then Jot might not be for you.

Those are good suggestions; I'll try to experiment a bit before the return deadline. How long does it actually take to properly warm up? I sleep in the same room and the white LED is quite bright so it'd be nice to turn it off at night.

Nov 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #5,040 of 6,472
I'm sure it's reached thermal equilibrium in a couple of hours but 24 hours is a safe bet. I too have mine in my bedroom facing me and grabbed a package of silver light dims from Amazon. Problem solved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back