Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Feb 15, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,721 of 6,472
Is the general consensus here that Sennheiser HD 800 sound better with Valhalla 2 from the Schiit amp lineup? Or any tubes for that matter?

In terms of power, at 300 Ohms per channel (that's the rated impedance of the HD 800), here is how each of them rank up:

Magni 2: 260 mW
Magni 2 Uber: 320 mW
Vali 2: 270 mW
Asgard 2: 380 mW
Valhalla 2: 800 mW
Lyr 2: 660 mW
Mjolnir 2: 850 mW
Ragnarok: 1,700 mW

Jotunheim (Balanced): 900 mW
Jotunheim (SE): 350 mW

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #3,722 of 6,472
  Is the general consensus here that Sennheiser HD 800 sound better with Valhalla 2 from the Schiit amp lineup? Or any tubes for that matter?

In terms of power, at 300 Ohms per channel (that's the rated impedance of the HD 800), here is how each of them rank up:

Magni 2: 260 mW
Magni 2 Uber: 320 mW
Vali 2: 270 mW
Asgard 2: 380 mW
Valhalla 2: 800 mW
Lyr 2: 660 mW
Mjolnir 2: 850 mW
Ragnarok: 1,700 mW

Jotunheim (Balanced): 900 mW
Jotunheim (SE): 350 mW

I would lean toward the Valhalla 2, which is an OTL, if the only headphones you will use are the HD800's.   If you will be using other headphones, the Lyr 2 is more flexible when used with planers or other hard to drive cans.. 

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #3,723 of 6,472
It's really a question of taste. HD800 certainly carries a buttery warmth out of MJ2 with the right tubes that Rag will never possess, but Rag ultimately drives them with greater authority. Within the Jotunheim-sized chassis, I think Valhalla 2 (again, with the right tubes) will give you the best mix of accuracy and warmth. Lyr 2 gives you more power, though if you need power, I would recommend just going straight for MJ2.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #3,724 of 6,472
I hear Putin uses HD700 through the Jot when he needs to break an unwilling captive to get intel and he doesn't have time to waste. They say it's more humane than waterboarding but I have my doubts.

I have both but prefer the HD700 with my Lyr and a good set of tubes...

Jot is a bit too bright for HD-700 or HD-800, like @MWSVette I'd go with HD-700 paired with Lyr2

Ah thanks.  When I had the HD700, I had it plugged into the Oppo HA-1 and it didn't bother me, knowing how bright the HA-1 is.  I was actually running that for a while until I sold the HA-1 and got the tubes.  But the HD700 didn't sound good to me on the tube amp that I got.  But it made my HD650 sing so that's what I'm running mainly now.  Then traded the HD700 for a try at other headphones.

Feb 16, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #3,726 of 6,472
Besides losing speaker taps/amping, what will i miss downgrading to a Jot from a Rag?

It seems the Jot has enough authority for the hd800 and he560, what about say k1000 or he6?

Nope.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #3,728 of 6,472
Interesting single word answer.

More input from others would be appreciated.

I don't have jot yet but he-6 and k-1000 are really hard to drive. I used this headphones with my balanced beta-22(50 watt 8 ohm) and i wanted much power

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #3,729 of 6,472
I use Gumby balanced to Jot or single ended to Vali 2 with HE-6.  They both perform fine but I'm sure there are better amps out there for HE-6.  My Pioneer Spec 2 power amp didn't blow me away in comparison to the other two.  I am insane though and am probably going to buy a First Watt J2 cause YOLO.  

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,730 of 6,472
I use Gumby balanced to Jot or single ended to Vali 2 with HE-6.  They both perform fine but I'm sure there are better amps out there for HE-6.  My Pioneer Spec 2 power amp didn't blow me away in comparison to the other two.  I am insane though and am probably going to buy a First Watt J2 cause YOLO.  

Vali is going to comically under power he6. Even mj2 is only acceptable. The more crucial question though is synergy and Jot is simply too bright for either can. The experience is shrill and unmusical in the first degree, even if the volume question can be fixed.

As to rag vs jot, rag has much cleaner power supplies and a sound that while perhaps a scosh less linear, conveyes authority and body. I stress though that even the mighty rag is sniffed at by some he6 aficionados as not being the appropriate fit (I disagree but take their point).

Feb 17, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #3,731 of 6,472
I've got a question as far as running balanced, if you only change the connecter to XLR, and not change the cables to balanced, will that have any benefit over just running a SE 1/4 inch jack?

I bought a set of hp off ebay and the guy changedoes out the connector to XLR but the cable is still stock as far as I know. It's a th900 and he said he ran it from an oppo ha1 and I'm considering getting the jotunheim but I was going to switch to 1/4 inch unless there is a benefit (I'm new so..)?

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:37 AM Post #3,732 of 6,472
I've got a question as far as running balanced, if you only change the connecter to XLR, and not change the cables to balanced, will that have any benefit over just running a SE 1/4 inch jack?

I bought a set of hp off ebay and the guy changedoes out the connector to XLR but the cable is still stock as far as I know. It's a th900 and he said he ran it from an oppo ha1 and I'm considering getting the jotunheim but I was going to switch to 1/4 inch unless there is a benefit (I'm new so..)?

Well, it depends. Some stock headphone cables have four conductors: two positives and two negatives, one of each for different sides. In case of a standard 6,3 mm jack, the two ground wires are simply soldered to the same pole on the plug. In a four conductor cable, if the stock plug is cut off and replaced with a four pin XLR connector, you can solder each wire to a different pole on the XLR connector. Then you'd have a balanced cable.

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3,733 of 6,472
Hey Ladies & Gents!

I will be a proud owner of a Jot in the very near future which I must say I am rather excited about and so is my slowly growing collection of Cans...

I would like to get cables for the Jot in prior to its arrival. I am happy to pay for quality cables which would hopefully improve audio, but in my mind there must be a sweet spot for better than standard but relative to the cost of the AMP / DAC combo you are buying the cables for?! Help, advice and guidance most needed as you can see!

Looking for a USB A to B for connecting the JOT DAC to PC USB cable. Around 1.2 metres

RCA to 3.5mm Jack as an input from say mobile or MP3 device. .5 or.7 meter should be enough length.

Dual RCA for any other RCA in I may want. .5 or.7 meter should be enough.

Any other useful cables for the Jot?

Based in the UK so any local suppliers would be awesome.

Thank you for any advice and help. Much needed, most appreciated!

Cheers :)

Feb 17, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #3,734 of 6,472
Hey Ladies & Gents!

I will be a proud owner of a Jot in the very near future which I must say I am rather excited about and so is my slowly growing collection of Cans...

I would like to get cables for the Jot in prior to its arrival. I am happy to pay for quality cables which would hopefully improve audio, but in my mind there must be a sweet spot for better than standard but relative to the cost of the AMP / DAC combo you are buying the cables for?! Help, advice and guidance most needed as you can see!

Looking for a USB A to B for connecting the JOT DAC to PC USB cable. Around 1.2 metres

RCA to 3.5mm Jack as an input from say mobile or MP3 device. .5 or.7 meter should be enough length.

Dual RCA for any other RCA in I may want. .5 or.7 meter should be enough.

Any other useful cables for the Jot?

Based in the UK so any local suppliers would be awesome.

Thank you for any advice and help. Much needed, most appreciated!

Cheers :)

You forgot the power cable:grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back