Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #142,231 of 149,598
My reverse psychology seems to have worked. BY NOT expecting FedEX to deliver Aegir until one day after its ETA, it may have ensured that it will be delivered per the originally stated ETA. :D

* Makes sense, since I have a board meeting tonight and will have to work until about 8 PM.
** I know. I know. It ain't delivered yet. :rolling_eyes:

1709817192749.png
Since moving to GA, most of my Amazon shipments show ‘out for delivery’ before they are delivered the next day. :smile:

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #142,232 of 149,598
I see I am not the only one with a cat bed next to my listening station. Yay, kitties!
I have a perpetual cat bed next to my station. Frequently referred to as a lap. :relaxed:

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #142,233 of 149,598
Honestly AP, I preferred your old avatar. It was you.

The current one... seems angry. It is a tiny bit... scary.

Just MHO, of course... <g>
That old avatar photo of mine’s gotten a little long in the tooth, though, and I thought I should pick an avatar that’s a bit friendlier looking than that photo. Something that better reflects my perpetually sunny disposition, ya know?

But that’s fair.

So … how’s this one? Better? 🤔

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #142,234 of 149,598
One of my fav musical exports from the Great White North...
030724mm.jpg

...Martha and the Muffins. Not just this 45, but all their albums.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #142,235 of 149,598
That old avatar photo of mine’s gotten a little long in the tooth, though, and I thought I should pick an avatar that’s a bit friendlier looking than that photo. Something that better reflects my perpetually sunny disposition, ya know?

But that’s fair.

So … how’s this one? Better? 🤔

The former one is better, more fun.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #142,236 of 149,598
030724mm.jpg

The 80's, good ole days.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #142,237 of 149,598
030724mm.jpg

As soon as I saw this "Echo Beach" started playing in my head!

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #142,238 of 149,598
Someone mentioned it above, the last Gungnirs had only one clock because of parts availability problems. The original had a VCXO and a VCO clock

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-gungnir-dac.603219/page-461#post-17849349
I have one of those "last" Gungnirs with one clock. Jason had said, when justifying the build, something like "it sounds the same to us." I agree ... it sounds great. But it doesn't always clock-on to the music like it should; the trouble occurs when the music changes to a different resolution. I notice this mostly when going down in resolution from say 24/96 to 16/44.1. It's easy to tell when the DAC doesn't clock-on ... sounds like ass (although there's no longer a "buy better music" light). In these cases, like nearly every day, a quick cycle of the inputs via the push button is required for the DAC to re-clock and get back to playing music. IME, this seldom happens when going from lower to higher-resolution music. The digital signal transfer is Mac/Roon USB -> Unison.

I'm surprised nobody else has reported this phenomenon yet, maybe I'm the outlier. :)

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #142,239 of 149,598
I have one of those "last" Gungnirs with one clock. Jason had said, when justifying the build, something like "it sounds the same to us." I agree ... it sounds great. But it doesn't always clock-on to the music like it should; the trouble occurs when the music changes to a different resolution. I notice this mostly when going down in resolution from say 24/96 to 16/44.1. It's easy to tell when the DAC doesn't clock-on ... sounds like ass (although there's no longer a "buy better music" light). In these cases, like nearly every day, a quick cycle of the inputs via the push button is required for the DAC to re-clock and get back to playing music. IME, this seldom happens when going from lower to higher-resolution music. The digital signal transfer is Mac/Roon USB -> Unison.

I'm surprised nobody else has reported this phenomenon yet, maybe I'm the outlier. :)
It was a whole thing at the time, not sure how much on here but probably more on the Gungnir forum. I sent mine in, the second time for good. Planning on getting the 2 still though.

Edit: will the Gungnir 2 add AES input?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #142,240 of 149,598
Nice review by Thomas.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:04 AM Post #142,241 of 149,598
Care to rate the Rekkr/Spektor 1 pairing? is that good enough for near field listening?
I find it more than sufficient. I run it with digital volume control which is less than ideal. I wanted an amp where I would be running the volume on the high side to maintain a decent noise floor without adding a Schiit Sys.

There is some bass bloom but that is a foible of the speakers, not the amp. The Spektors did that with an Aegir when I listened to them at home.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:08 AM Post #142,242 of 149,598
Visit the east coast, especially Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. Each community has its own dialect and accent. The people from Lunenburg NS and surrounding areas sound like they could be from New England. Some people near Judique on Cape Breton Island, NS, have nearly the same accent as people from County Cork, Ireland. The next village or two up the road, Mabou and Inverness, will have different accents as well. Go further up Route 19 and the people of Cheticamp, Acadians, close relatives of the Louisiana Cajuns, and you hear a unique dialect of French/English/Gaelic with a touch of native Mi'kmaq. I've mostly lost my Cape Breton accent except when I'm tired (or, years ago, after a couple of glasses of wine) or when I visit. I was there for 3 months last Summer/Fall, and boy did my accent come back! Scottish Gaelic is still extensively spoken and has influenced the regional and local dialects. Cape Breton and Newfoundland used to be fairly isolated and insular, but with increased mobility and better roads (seriously), satellite and cable TV, Internet, etc., the uniqueness of the language and culture is slowly getting diluted and lost.
Back in ‘72 we camped on a beach east of Cheticamp and I remember my mother who spoke fluent French (from Montreal) having real difficulty speaking with the store personnel. Yes, a bizarre combo of French, English and Gaelic that was something else. We picked lobster off the shore, wild strawberries off the hillside with the moose's, swam with seals and watched the pilot whales at sunset. Magical place.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #142,243 of 149,598
It was a whole thing at the time, not sure how much on here but probably more on the Gungnir forum. I sent mine in, the second time for good. Planning on getting the 2 still though.

Edit: will the Gungnir 2 add AES input?
Does that mean that Schiit couldn't fix the problem? Or it's not a "problem," it's the consequence of the design and known?

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #142,244 of 149,598
Does that mean that Schiit couldn't fix the problem? Or it's not a "problem," it's the consequence of the design and known?
I never figured it out. I think others just resampled in streaming software to avoid it, and I moved on to Yggy. Fwiw someone at the time (summer 2022) reached out via dm to say they had the same problem in a VCXO version so who knows.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #142,245 of 149,598
It seems to me that it's a result of not having the missing clock. My Gumby (with both clocks) does not have the symptoms described.

Well, mine does have a similar symptom if I use "event" type WASAPI rather than "push" combined with Unison input, but I'm guessing that's unrelated.

EDIT: After reading the response @Orange5o posted at the same time, maybe it is related. Mine never has a lock issue if I use push-type WASAPI.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back