Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 20, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #140,207 of 149,688
you've caught my interest with the reference. Do you drink this tea straight? or, add anything to it after brew?

Personally I like my Lapsang Souchong straight up, no sugar. But, BUT! as with audio your personal preferences are what counts. Capt. Picard never specifies milk and sugar, so we can assume he likes it clear and unsweetened. Many humans, especially those from a UK background, enjoy their black tea with milk/cream and sugar.

The good thing is it's easy to experiment and a lot cheaper than an Audio hobby!

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:22 PM Post #140,208 of 149,688
That's the beauty of Yggy GS2. It's kinda of like getting a MIB on layaway, but you get to listen to it while you save up for the MIB upgrade.
Yeah thats my hope :fingers crossed

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #140,209 of 149,688
And plankton. Don't forget the plankton.
image_2024-02-20_182334906.png

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #140,211 of 149,688
The Yggy GS2 is a detail rendering monster which can fatigue you. It has plenty of “plankton”, which is likely why some of the people who upgraded to newer versions wanted the OG version back. It’s a different flavor from more “relaxed” and “warm” DACs out there.

Feb 20, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #140,213 of 149,688
The Yggy GS2 is a detail rendering monster which can fatigue you. It has plenty of “plankton”, which is likely why some of the people who upgraded to newer versions wanted the OG version back. It’s a different flavor from more “relaxed” and “warm” DACs out there.
You came to some conclusions there (detail rendering monster which can fatigue you, plenty of plankton, which is likely why...) that I don't agree with.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt there are many Yggy owners who started out with OG and subsequently "upgraded" to LIM or MIL.

Also, the difference between GS2 and OG is different analog boards and versions of USB (gen 5 v. Unison) and not necessarily the DAC chips.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #140,214 of 149,688
I suspect that most of those who upgrade a Yggy card will never reinstall the previous one. It is not a straightforward swap to do on a whim.

And… upgrade may not be the right word. Replace flavor might be better.
My old BiFrost 2 card collects dust though I miss the slightly warmer sound (to my memory). Maybe one day, it was not an easy swap though, fighting it the whole way.

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #140,215 of 149,688
Yes, translators are a thing and only a few clicks/touches away.
I also happen to be somewhat fluent-adjacent in German.
But that's not the point.
The point is that this is an English forum. Let's keep it that way for everybody else's convenience, shall we?
Thank you! ☺️

Yes, my bad, I copy and paste the Whatsapp message to my friend to the forum and forgot the language .... sorry for this, again.

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #140,216 of 149,688
The upgradability is @Jason Stoddard 's greatest plan. It means even somebody's personal 'end-game' will eventually make them want the next upgrade. Not that it's in any way sinister; it's actually more prosumer than anything.
But- business genius nonetheless.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #140,218 of 149,688
IMG_7383.jpegIMG_7382.jpeg

In preparation of working with barrel staves for Blanton’s horse boards I decided to work with some rough flame maple. Wood rasps and hand planes mostly. The trick is to make it elegant while keeping the rustic charm. There are tiger maple stripes to be revealed.

Do you have to do something to the knot to make it stabilize?

Feb 20, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #140,219 of 149,688
Maybe it’s your speakers or associated gear or in your head. I would agree the OG is a little warmer but in my set up the A1 boards still sounded great. I never got fatigue.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #140,220 of 149,688
I think Yggy A2 analog version and OG are used interchangeably creating confusion -- at least with me. In my mind, the real O(riginal) G(generation) Yggy that came 1st (hence OG,) came with A1 analog card. So what does that make the A2 version of the Yggy? 2(nd) G? Sure, A1 and A2 both have the same OG DAC chips, so does that mean both A1 and A2 are the OG Yggy? If A2 is the OG, then what is A1-based Yggy -- the Forefather? The pre-G? I'm so confused -- even more than usual! :xf_confused:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back