Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:57 PM Post #132,602 of 150,786
Dec 10, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #132,603 of 150,786
...Finnegan and I are barely keeping up....
You've never quantified the difference in workload between you and Finnegan. I'm guessing Finnegan does the lion's share (groan!) so, 75% Finnegan/25% @Paladin79 ... :wink:

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:18 PM Post #132,604 of 150,786
Ain't life grand!!?? :D
Or a brook:

Whats grand is you feeling it's grand. I think the same, daily.

To look at the news, it's nothing but bad times, recriminations, and victimhood.

We share a country, and an apolitical love of music (and gear).

Tomorrows going to a better day (especially with some new Schiit).
Or at least good:

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #132,605 of 150,786
IMG_0189.jpeg

This image is from my actual phone, not my streamer phone, but the circled portion is the relevant bit.

If I’m playing an album that is supposed to be Hi-Res Lossless, this shows up, but if there’s a *click* on the next, or subsequent, tracks, and I check, that text/click has changed to “Lossless.” Another, later *click* and it’s back to “High-Res Lossless.”

Would be interested to hear from someone who has a DAC that displays sample rate to test, but not interested enough to pursue that hard.
That's the part that is really weird to me. But to be honest, Apple Music is generally buggier and weirder than Spotify (which has its own little niggles) and Qobuz (which is consistently very rock solid.)

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #132,606 of 150,786
The click between tracks that have different bitrates/depths is normal behavior for several Schiit DACs, and it's been discussed a bit. What's happening with Apple Music re gapless is different, but AFAIK, it's afflicting only some Apple Music (and Qobuz) users on iPhones, while others are reporting no problem running the same tests. I suspect it's something introduced with a new incarnation of iOS, or possibly something between iOS and certain older iPhones.
Ahhh, the natural retrogressive phenomenon of Updates. 😒

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #132,608 of 150,786
Dunno... Buying the best DAC you can afford -- Schiit has a good range -- and driving it from a basic but solid streamer (I use an iFi Zen Stream for my dac2541) gives you a lot more flexibility and I suspect quality/$. Well-regarded streamer/DACs start well above Zen Stream+BF 2/64 and easily go much higher than Yggdrasil+. I'm skeptical of audible streamer benefits above the Zen Stream's price if the DAC is current and well-engineered (which Schiit's DACs are).
Why should I buy a streamer, rather than streaming from my computer?

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #132,609 of 150,786
Segregation of function/purpose. And reducing potential risk if your streaming application may one day be used as a means of attack to your computer and/or data.

I treat my streamers as IOT devices, and isolate them on a separate VLAN.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #132,610 of 150,786
Yup some stuff does indeed matter.
This 1998 Creek discrete/op amp I recently changed all the electros, several resistors with Halco and PRP's and even the op amp.
Prior to this massive hiss, noise etc.
Now dead quiet.
"Discrete op amp" my term for all parts thru hole and 1 op amp. In this case even the op amp was thru hole! LOL!
I put it in a set of pins.
Unobtanium for the most part except for Ebay.
Will do some testing with my Schitt stuff for sure.
Alex

1699878950806.png
I think in another tread, I admitted to owning this very amp. Are your board changes worth it?

I know it's a pain. I'd really appreciate your punch list of changed parts.

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #132,611 of 150,786
Mjolnir 3 (silver) in the house. Arrived early afternoon.
Now nicely warmed up.
HiFiMan Edition XS.
Schiit !!!

A black, 230V MJ3 landed Hong Kong yesterday (Sunday) evening, delivered this morning (Monday) after import clearance.

Dec 11, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #132,612 of 150,786
For myself, I got a streamer because...
  • it allows me to move around with my laptop (not tethered to the DAC)
  • I don't need to have my computer running just to play music
  • I can control playing music from a phone, tablet, or computer

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #132,614 of 150,786
So, interesting experience with the Modi Multibit 2 & AppleMusic…

As we know, the MMB2 clicks when it changes sample rates. Established, fixed a problem, etc.

But, 90% of the time, when streaming music, we listen to albums. We’re both old and old fashioned like that. My teenage niece assures me this sort of behavior is considered odd these days…

Anyway, cue up an album in Apple HifhRes Losless. Press play. Clicking happening in-between certain tracks.

What?

But when I check the display, certain tracks drop down to simply “lossless.” Clicking explained.

Haven’t been able to trace a pattern yet, but it seems like ‘HighRes Lossless” is somehow not always the case (all settings on the iOS device are set to play it when available. Everything is being pulled over WiFi, no Bluetooth, AirPlay, etc.)

So, not sure if it’s somehow bandwidth related (our WiFi is Google Fiber and the junction box (or whatever it’s called) is right outside our house (literally in a corner of our yard) and there’s a WiFi repeater about 6 feet from the streaming device).

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, and probably not audible (though the clicks are if the room is otherwise quiet), but interesting….
Just curious.. Can you reproduce it?
I mean if you play the same album five times, are the same tracks hi-res, and the same tracks normal res? If so it's probably the way the tracks are supplied, if it changes it might be a bandwidth issue..

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #132,615 of 150,786
Just curious.. Can you reproduce it?
I mean if you play the same album five times, are the same tracks hi-res, and the same tracks normal res? If so it's probably the way the tracks are supplied, if it changes it might be a bandwidth issue..
Haven’t tried, but will.

Mostly, noticed the clicks and started looking. I suppose if it’s track, or server, dependent, it should repeat. If Bandwidth, maybe not…

And if it’s repeatable, and different tracks are actually being served at different bitrates on single albums, that says something about Apple Music, but also about me, because I’ve never noticed it audibly and still don’t….

Users who are viewing this thread

Back