Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #132,631 of 152,568
That is a lot of assumptions
There is one thing for sure: There is Schiit Unison USB™.
I'm pretty sure that I had exactly one assumption in there, but if you know something that I don't I'm eager to learn!

ETA: Oops, there is a second one. In addition to a bitperfect stream, I assume that the clock signal for the conversion is not generated by the computer.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #132,632 of 152,568
I am using a MacBook Pro for my music server, because I like to multi-task whilst listening to music. All the gizmos on the Mac are turned off, except for Chrome, and Roon places the Gungnir in exclusive mode so that the Mac's core audio is disabled as well. I can turn the Mac's sound "on" by pausing the playback on Roon, if I so desire. I have no issues with the SQ ... it's tremendous. YMMV, as always.

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #132,633 of 152,568
do you use tape to connect your speakers to Tyr?
my DNM speaker cables and interconnects are not dis-similar
cables.jpg

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #132,634 of 152,568
I'm pretty sure that I had exactly one assumption in there, but if you know something that I don't I'm eager to learn!

ETA: Oops, there is a second one. In addition to a bitperfect stream, I assume that the clock signal for the conversion is not generated by the computer.
Feed any noisy USB output into Urd DDC and onwards to Unison USB™ DAC input and ..... voila there is no noise The DAC does the buffering and the re-clocking.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #132,635 of 152,568
All this talk about streaming services, bit-rate changes between tracks on the same album, variable quality etc. (plus a story I just read about Discovery removing paid-for streamed content from devices because parent Disney says to - it's not music but it's the same theory) demonstrate why I do not use streaming services as a primary listening source, except perhaps for background noise. Call me an old Boomer if you like but to me, I will not rely on and pay for something where you get what you get and have no control, and if they decide to pull the plug on you too bad. When I want music I pay for it, buy the CD, or download the file to my server.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #132,636 of 152,568
You've never quantified the difference in workload between you and Finnegan. I'm guessing Finnegan does the lion's share (groan!) so, 75% Finnegan/25% @Paladin79 ... :wink:
That is about right but you have to factor in Finnegan usually takes my chair in the shop so I am forced to stand up and do something, regardless of how meaningless. :ksc75smile:

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #132,637 of 152,568
my DNM speaker cables and interconnects are not dis-similar
cables.jpg
I would say they are when you look closer.
If it sounds any different ....... It surely measures different.

speaker cable 2.jpg

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #132,638 of 152,568
I would say they are when you look closer.
If it sounds any different ....... It surely measures different.

Yep - its the tape like appearance I was comparing - but yes Nordost and Dnm cables have a similar design principle and a somewhat different price structure !! I do like the idea of air as an insulator with the Nordost cables and it does work really well but can be expensive to produce - both use the principle of keeping the conductors away from each other and again that seems to work well for me and my musical tastes - :beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #132,639 of 152,568
I am using a MacBook Pro for my music server, because I like to multi-task whilst listening to music. All the gizmos on the Mac are turned off, except for Chrome, and Roon places the Gungnir in exclusive mode so that the Mac's core audio is disabled as well. I can turn the Mac's sound "on" by pausing the playback on Roon, if I so desire. I have no issues with the SQ ... it's tremendous. YMMV, as always.
I use a MacBook Pro as my source in my shop along with a Bifrost II because of its small size. One day I may put a Gungnir out there but for now I am fine. Once I get back into building electronic devices I can listen more intently and not wear ear, eye, and lung protection. :beerchug:

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #132,640 of 152,568
All this talk about streaming services, bit-rate changes between tracks on the same album, variable quality etc. (plus a story I just read about Discovery removing paid-for streamed content from devices because parent Disney says to - it's not music but it's the same theory) demonstrate why I do not use streaming services as a primary listening source, except perhaps for background noise. Call me an old Boomer if you like but to me, I will not rely on and pay for something where you get what you get and have no control, and if they decide to pull the plug on you too bad. When I want music I pay for it, buy the CD, or download the file to my server.
I am not a Boomer (Gen X), but agree 100% with you. This is why I went back to vinyl. I jumped on iTunes when it came out, then they changed models so I went to Spotify, they increased price, and then Tidal came out - which was better but then got more expensive, then Amazon Music because it came with Prime, and finally I said the hell with it. I spent thousands buying music (and movies) on Apple that I can't even access anymore (because all the Apple password/upgrade bs) and probably a grand more on streaming services that can be shut off or "amended" at any time. I stopped all that and use the "free" Amazon Music when I am on the go with my phone, but at home it's vinyl.

Sure I have spent a few grand on records, but to your point I own them. Nobody can take them away, update the terms of using them, change formats, or anything else - they are mine. A good modern vinyl system like I have (VPI -> Skoll -> McIntosh preamplifier -> McIntosh power amplifier -> Sonus faber towers) sounds just as good if not better than most folks digital systems. Also, in my second system (PC with Amazon Music -> Bifrost -> Lyr+ in tube mode -> Lokius -> Aegir -> Piega towers) the Bifrost cleans up the Amazon stream nicely and sounds fine for "exploring" new stuff before buying the vinyl.

The other bonus is I believe most artists get paid more when you buy a vinyl (or CD for those of you doing so) so you are actually supporting the music a little more.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #132,641 of 152,568
I still use streaming for music discovery but I've increased my spending on CDs over the last few years for much the same reason. I'll occasionally purchase files from Qobuz because sometimes some albums can be difficult to find elsewhere.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #132,642 of 152,568
I've looked into a bunch of streamers earlier this year. For reasons I won't go into beyond what I already wrote in the occasional post in this tread (tl;dr: the cheapest hardware you could think of, little to no shielding, questionable privacy policies, horrendously bad software that you're forced to use), most of them I wouldn't let anywhere near my home, much less any of my audio chains.

The best "value for money" streamer you can get is the cheapest Mac mini. That gets you the highest quality hardware and the highest flexibility in terms of software, it can be used head-less, draws very little power, doesn't look bad, and the thing is dead quiet when used as a streamer. The only caveat is that you need to run something like Roon on it, meaning some playback software that bypasses macOS' own audio pipeline so that your tracks get sent out the USB port without any forced resampling.

An iPad is OK, but you don't get the same flexibility in software and you'd have to keep it plugged in for a long time, which will eventually destroy the battery. (It'll bloat up on you after about a year and, if ignored for too long, could rupture.) But it does stream bit-perfect, so it's got that going fot it.

Forget about Android tablets and phones, most of them can't stream your tracks without resampling, period. Not for love or money.

A home-brewed Pi would be an acceptable alternative, if (and that's a big if!) you know how to set it up exactly the way you need instead of having to rely on software packages that some third party cobbled together for you.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #132,643 of 152,568
Feed any noisy USB output into Urd DDC and onwards to Unison USB™ DAC input and ..... voila there is no noise The DAC does the buffering and the re-clocking.
AFAICT absolutely yes, the Urd can supposedly block all noise of all forms making the streamer or computer connected to it entirely irrelevant with regards to sound quality. And with the Urd this could be relatively easy to conduct some blind listening on.

In terms of usability, practicality and updates (both for security and to keep compatibility with streaming services running) though... there are large differences.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #132,644 of 152,568
The best "value for money" streamer you can get is the cheapest Mac mini. That gets you the highest quality hardware and the highest flexibility in terms of software, it can be used head-less, doesn't look bad, and the thing is dead quiet when used as a streamer. The only caveat is that you need to run something like Roon on it, some playback software that bypasses macOS' own audio pipeline so that your tracks get sent out the USB port without any forced resampling.
Longshot question: Will Cog meet those criteria?

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #132,645 of 152,568
I still use streaming for music discovery but I've increased my spending on CDs over the last few years for much the same reason. I'll occasionally purchase files from Qobuz because sometimes some albums can be difficult to find elsewhere.
Yes, me too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back