Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 19, 2023 at 7:34 AM Post #130,696 of 152,850
It’s weird that if that’s the case it took 100 hours to present. Maybe you were listening to source material that had more dynamic range or wasn’t super compressed for the first 100. Don’t forget to turn off the Roon compensation now that you’ve figured out the real problem.

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #130,697 of 152,850
Edit: The RCA S/PDIF does work. On a hunch, I tested it with another DAC. On the main DAC, I can also hear the audio if I plug my headphones directly into it and set output for the phones. It just won't output through the DAC's XLR cables, even if I set the outputs in the menu to COAX or All. Very odd, but at least I've shown that the S/PDIF does work and I've narrowed down the problem. If I can't get it to work, I'll reach out to the DAC's tech support.

After going through every menu setting on the DAC and CD player, checking and replacing cables, and looking at toggles on the Lokius and Asgard, I found the root of the S/PDIF output problem by staring at my component diagram on my iPad after I had gone to bed. Turns out the root-cause was similar to a PEBCAK issue, but more like an ID10T error.

See (take notes, everyone), the Freya has this really obscure button on the front of the unit called an "Input Select"... :bulb:

There are 2 outputs from the Tascam, therefore, an input has to be changed on the Freya depending if I send the audio directly to the preamp or via the external DAC. 🤦‍♂️

1700401723057.png

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #130,698 of 152,850
After going through every menu setting on the DAC and CD player, checking and replacing cables, and looking at toggles on the Lokius and Asgard, I found the root of the S/PDIF output problem by staring at my component diagram on my iPad after I had gone to bed. Turns out the root-cause was similar to a PEBCAK issue, but more like an ID10T error.

See (take notes, everyone), the Freya has this really obscure button on the front of the unit called an "Input Select"... 💡
Just love it!
This one made me SMILE!

Alex

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #130,699 of 152,850
Random Access Memories...

...by Daft Punk is so much richer than I've ever imagined: Qobuz 88.2/24 -Cardas Clear USB-> OG Yggy A2 -balanced-> OG Jot -balanced-> HD600s. The interplay between the sonic elements of the song, and the timing, is just ennui-inducing... and these relatively cheap, 15 year old HPs are sounding better than ever. They are quite broken in. <g>

(Is "ennui-inducing" a thing? It sounded good as I was typing it.)
Um, dstrimbu, ennui is generally defined as a feeling of utter weariness and discontent resulting from satiety and boredom. Not the feeling I usually seek when listening to music, but then different strokes for different folks...or maybe you meant bliss-inducing...:ksc75smile:

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #130,700 of 152,850
Just love it!
This one made me SMILE!

Alex
I had to laugh too, after bruising my forehead with a face-palm! I updated my post with the diagram. Once I looked at it last night, the answer leapt out at me. I edited it on the spot to mark the inputs. Guess what I did as soon as I woke up this morning? As expected, everything worked as it should.

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #130,701 of 152,850

See (take notes, everyone), the Freya has this really obscure button on the front of the unit called an "Input Select"... :bulb:

There are 2 outputs from the Tascam, therefore, an input has to be changed on the Freya depending if I send the audio directly to the preamp or via the external DAC. 🤦‍♂️

1700401723057.png
We've all done that one before.

I've had my PC Audio not working, so I unplug and replug the usb cable, I power cycle the Modi, I power cycle the Vali.

Eventually I remember that modi has multiple inputs and I've accidentally hit the button on the front.....

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #130,702 of 152,850
We've all done that one before.

I've had my PC Audio not working, so I unplug and replug the usb cable, I power cycle the Modi, I power cycle the Vali.

Eventually I remember that modi has multiple inputs and I've accidentally hit the button on the front.....
Yup last week before surgery I was attaching cables to a dac and swapped the R/L and listened for awhile and was comparing two dacs and I could definitely hear differences in instrument places....drove me nuts until I saw the mis-cable.

Done this with speaker phasing and missing bass.....yup ya gotta check the connections not once but twice and knob positions and buttons!

Imagine in a modern day jet!.

Alex

1700403288096.png

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #130,703 of 152,850
I had to laugh too, after bruising my forehead with a face-palm! I updated my post with the diagram. Once I looked at it last night, the answer leapt out at me. I edited it on the spot to mark the inputs. Guess what I did as soon as I woke up this morning? As expected, everything worked as it should.
Can you hear me now?

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #130,704 of 152,850
This seems like such an odd idea we must know WHY you asked it.
Oddly enough, there have been some combination headphone amp/preamps made. I own one of these thanks to @FLTWS so the idea is not that far fetched. It was made for that combined purpose. :ksc75smile:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/melos-sha-1-headphone-amplifier-john-atkinson-july-1994

Sorry I have been MIA, some local folks discovered I did woodworking so I have been busy helping them with carving boards etc.

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #130,705 of 152,850
Oddly enough, there have been some combination headphone amp/preamps made. I own one of these thanks to @FLTWS so the idea is not that far fetched. It was made for that combined purpose. :ksc75smile:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/melos-sha-1-headphone-amplifier-john-atkinson-july-1994

Sorry I have been MIA, some local folks discovered I did woodworking so I have been busy helping them with carving boards etc.
Good to see you back Tom!
Recovering here Day 5 post surgery!
Feeling much better!
First day I actually felt like listening!!
Playing with a old cd player digital out with Schiit Modius E 9028 and a 1998 Creek Audio 420 mw/600ohm that I recently rebuilt.
Stunning sound for this old "crap"...
:>)

Alex

And I am using those special purple cables!!
Thinking of possibly an "URD" now !

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #130,706 of 152,850
... Recovering here Day 5 post surgery!
Feeling much better!
First day I actually felt like listening!! ...
I guess I missed that in my skimming. Glad you are well on the road to recovery and feeling much better.

Nov 19, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #130,707 of 152,850
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #130,709 of 152,850
It’s weird that if that’s the case it took 100 hours to present. Maybe you were listening to source material that had more dynamic range or wasn’t super compressed for the first 100. Don’t forget to turn off the Roon compensation now that you’ve figured out the real problem.

Mine is very straighforward. No messing around with digital whatsoever:

1700413526152.png

Then it's just straight to MIB via toslink (Wireworld Supernova 7 Borosilicate Glass toslink). The SP2000's clocks are more than adequate enough for minimum jitter through toslink since it sounds a bit better than Unison (with iFi micro iUSB 3.0 USB hub) direct from laptop.

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #130,710 of 152,850
Good to see you back Tom!
Recovering here Day 5 post surgery!
Feeling much better!
First day I actually felt like listening!!
Playing with a old cd player digital out with Schiit Modius E 9028 and a 1998 Creek Audio 420 mw/600ohm that I recently rebuilt.
Stunning sound for this old "crap"...
:>)

Alex

And I am using those special purple cables!!
Thinking of possibly an "URD" now !
Glad to hear you are doing better Alex and purple cables always sound better, I think.:ksc75smile: I am working on a lazy susan for a lady who wants a considerable amount of purple heart wood used, she gave me four bottles of fine bourbon so I should build her something. Oh and she works for the School of Music here, she fell in love with my main sound system. I generally demo with a little Art Pepper as well as a few other jazz tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back