Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2024 at 11:14 PM Post #152,836 of 155,114
One of my very favs, tonight. Brad Mehldau, Larry Grenadier, and Jeff Ballard come together as a wonderful trio. It's a LIVE recording and it puts you in the venue. Very well recorded and puts you right there, even rolling your eyes when the wait staff drops a tray, etc. The soft sounds and texture of the wire brush on the snare... it's just magical!!

Beware, there are even covers of Blackhole Sun and Wonderwall... Wait!! What!!?? Yep! And they are really good, IMHO. Turn down the lights and get your favorite beverage. I think you'll really like this one.

Tonight's Jazz recommendation...

JazzReco-21.jpg
Reminding me of when I heard them at SFJAZZ, thanks!

May 23, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #152,837 of 155,114
My jazz offering for tonight

RoonShareImage-638520921106822540.png

May 24, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #152,839 of 155,114
I am a big fan of Art Noxon's research and writings. I read his treatise on room treatments a little differently; the room reverberation time (RT60), if not managed, would allow sounds to propagate - a.k.a. echo - long enough to mask lower volume tones and transients.

Noise, echo - one thing, two words? :)

/ds
big :thumbsup:

iirc, however, there's an ongoing argument in the home theater world as to how relevant RT60 is in "small acoustic spaces". Acousticians define a "small acoustic space" as anything smaller than a church!

Masking, reverberation, echoes, all the same, maybe? All must be controlled to hear the ambience on the recording. otoh, some recordings/speakers are designed to utilize some room acoustics to sound lifelike, iirc.

No way to win this game, is there?

May 24, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #152,840 of 155,114
Enough dogs and cats ... time for chickens :sunglasses:

1716456486049.png
I am at a loss to comprehend why you think cake and alcohol are somewhat exclusive? rum-soaked cake is pretty good and meets all a chicken's daily requirements.

May 24, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #152,841 of 155,114
My Freya N Pre and Gumby will have to be pried from my cold, dead hands. Seriously, the Freya with certain tubes has been (to use an over-used cliché) game changing. I can't imagine a system without either the Freya or Gumby. I'm sorely tempted to move most of my headphone stack components down to the big, calibrated, speaker system to hear that audio goodness out loud.
Gumby actually sounds better through speakers.... just sayin'

May 24, 2024 at 12:13 AM Post #152,842 of 155,114
I have a friend who has a cochlear implant in one ear. ....
His main hobby is photography. Here's an example ... he has a Nikon Z-9 and some damn fancy lenses. :)

Nice! You're not a driver of one of those?

I read somewhere that the original cochlear implants for children were very susceptible to static electricity. Like the kind one accumulates going down a children's slide .... :-O

May 24, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #152,843 of 155,114
big :thumbsup:

iirc, however, there's an ongoing argument in the home theater world as to how relevant RT60 is in "small acoustic spaces". Acousticians define a "small acoustic space" as anything smaller than a church!

Masking, reverberation, echoes, all the same, maybe? All must be controlled to hear the ambience on the recording. otoh, some recordings/speakers are designed to utilize some room acoustics to sound lifelike, iirc.

No way to win this game, is there?
.... remember the Bose 901?
IMG_8118.jpeg
[89% reflected sound, 11% direct sound] 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 24, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #152,844 of 155,114
Ah, headphones. I have 4 decent pairs, but I'd also like to eventually go much higher end....
I'm afraid I'm going down a slippery slope with headphones. Love my Eta Mini C and my Sendy Aiva. They each have some flaws which make me think I need a new headphone with no flaws to rule the roost.... (see what I mean...?)

May 24, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #152,845 of 155,114
New acoustic music to enjoy on the long weekend ahead --

T Bone Burnett's new solo album "The Other Side" has been getting raves from listeners. Analog Planet's review praised the natural quality of the recording of the acoustic instruments: "It's all about texture and subtlety." "How audibly noticeable the stereo soundstage appears." And "the music is simple and beautiful."
T Bone Burnett was the producer/creator of "that sound" on "Raising Sand" by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, and this album has "that sound." The instrumentalists are excellent studio musicians, along with guest vocalist Rosanne Cash and harmony vocals by Lucius and Weyes Blood.
(Reviews state that it is available on Qobuz and Tidal.)
My goodness, that is nicely recorded. Thank you. And I am playing it on Tidal right now. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 1:19 AM Post #152,846 of 155,114
Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 3:18 AM Post #152,847 of 155,114
May 24, 2024 at 3:59 AM Post #152,848 of 155,114
They literally print your window sticker at the local freaking grocery store.
You still using window stickers over there? We ditched them years ago, thank Dog. Don't even have to leave home ... Just pay the bill, online, and move along :sunglasses:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back