Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 23, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #152,821 of 155,092
.... The soundstaging, for me, via 12AU7 / ECC82 is somewhat airier, deeper, wider than with 396A / 2C51/ 5670 .... 🙂.
That's generally been my experience as well.

My adapter arrived today, and the first tube that came to hand was a 50's Brimar Footscray CV491.

Holy Shiznit, Batman! :L3000:

May 23, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #152,822 of 155,092
Almost missed National Tortoise Day!

IMG_4418.jpg

Yes, that's Lisa, making medieval-style tile for our house under construction, and Warwick, a random tortoise eating an apple. Typical weekend in Corpus Christi.
Jason: Phew, it's hot here in Texas…
Lisa: Let me fire up this kiln and sit right next to it for a while.

Women really are built differently.

May 23, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #152,823 of 155,092
Almost missed National Tortoise Day!

IMG_4418.jpg

Yes, that's Lisa, making medieval-style tile for our house under construction, and Warwick, a random tortoise eating an apple. Typical weekend in Corpus Christi.
Love the pattern! Tortoise’s are cool. We had an annual visitor, Phred we named him, the 8 years I lived in Tucson… loved bits of fruit…

May 23, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #152,824 of 155,092
Happy to report being on the far side of Covid, am now out of isolation (hard to do with a large family), and am on the mend.

Re-watched the entire first season of The Rings of Power and listened to nearly all of Book 4 of The Wheel of Time. No sci-fi to be found anywhere in my isolation, it seems! Lol

Thank you for the well-wishes.
Good to hear!

May 23, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #152,825 of 155,092
You walk into a DMV to file for an initial vehicle registration in California…

Clerk: "Yes? Car registration? Ugh, I really don't want to be here, how dare you waste my valuable time with such menial tasks. Uh, you haven't made an appointment eight weeks in advance? I hope you don't mind waiting in a line out in the sun for the next four hours. That'll be $600, now and then again every year that follows. Now get out of my face already."

You walk into a county tax assessor's office for an initial vehicle registration in Texas. You're barely through the door yet…

Clerk, smiling and waving at you from across the room: "May I assist you over here, sir? I hope you're having a pleasant morning! Car registration? My pleasure! Do I detect a slight German accent, sir? You were born and raised in Germany? That's so exciting! Oh, don't worry about the form, we can do that later. Let me tell you about my German heritage and entire family history going back to the late 17-hundreds for the next 35 minutes. *turns around and shouts into the direction of a back office* Beth? Isn't your oma German? Oh, the registration? That can wait. *turns around again* Edith, get your butt over here, you have to meet this gentleman! He's from Germany, come here and say hello to him in German! I also have this friend, she's in this polka band you have to check out. They play every year at this festival that you should really go see. So, you've just moved to Ken-Doll County*? That's so exciting! Welcome to Texas! How do you like your new home town? Isn't it so very beautiful here? You have to visit Barktoberfest in October, promise me? There's a doggy dash run and a costume contest and a petting zoo, too! Last year one of the pigs got out and got chased all across the town plaza by a dog. You knew exactly where the pig was at any moment just by following people's screams. That was such a hoot! Hm? The registration? Oh, right… I'm afraid that I will have to ask you for $190, but the good news is that this is only for the initial registration, renewals will be considerably less. Oh, and in December you have to go to the Christmas Lights Fest, it's the most beautiful thing you'll ever see."

* Some say that it's actually "Kendall County" but that's obviously a typo.

Yes, I live in Stars Hollow now. 🤣

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #152,826 of 155,092

Clerk: "Yes? Car registration? Ugh, I really don't want to be here, how dare you waste my valuable time with such menial tasks. Uh, you haven't made an appointment eight weeks in advance? I hope you don't mind waiting in a line out in the sun for the next four hours. That'll be $600 every year and then get out of my face already."

You walk into a county tax assessor's office for an initial vehicle registration in Texas. You're barely through the door yet…

Clerk, smiling and waving at you from across the room: "May I assist you over here, sir? I hope you're having a pleasant morning! Car registration? My pleasure! Do I detect a slight German accent, sir? You were born and raised in Germany? That's so exciting! Oh, don't worry about the form, we can do that later. Let me tell you about my German heritage and entire family history going back to the late 17-hundreds for the next 35 minutes. *turns around and shouts into the direction of a back office* Beth? Isn't your oma German? Oh, the registration? That can wait. *turns around again* Edith, get your butt over here, you have to meet this gentleman! He's from Germany, come here and say hello to him in German! I also have this friend, she's in this polka band you have to check out. They play every year at this festival that you should really go see. So, you've just moved to Ken-Doll County*? That's so exciting! Welcome to Texas! How do you like your new home town? Isn't it so very beautiful here? You have to visit Barktoberfest in October, promise me? There's a doggy dash run and a costume contest and a petting zoo, too! Last year one of the pigs got out and got chased all across the town plaza by a dog. You knew exactly where the pig was at any moment just by following people's screams. That was such a hoot! Hm? The registration? Oh, right… I'm afraid that I will have to ask you for $190, but the good news is that this is only for the initial registration, renewals will be considerably less. Oh, and in December you have to go to the Christmas Lights Fest, it's the most beautiful thing you'll ever see."

Wait til you do the inspection and, wait for it, the registration/sticker at freaking HEB while you buy your food, wine/beer, and lowest price gasoline around. They literally print your window sticker at the local freaking grocery store.

THAT part of Texas is perfect!

May 23, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #152,827 of 155,092

Clerk: "Yes? Car registration? Ugh, I really don't want to be here, how dare you waste my valuable time with such menial tasks. Uh, you haven't made an appointment eight weeks in advance? I hope you don't mind waiting in a line out in the sun for the next four hours. That'll be $600 every year and then get out of my face already."

Well, don't keep us hanging -- did you get your vehicle registration or did you just hand over $190 for the entertainment ?? :D

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #152,828 of 155,092
One of my very favs, tonight. Brad Mehldau, Larry Grenadier, and Jeff Ballard come together as a wonderful trio. It's a LIVE recording and it puts you in the venue. Very well recorded and puts you right there, even rolling your eyes when the wait staff drops a tray, etc. The soft sounds and texture of the wire brush on the snare... it's just magical!!

Beware, there are even covers of Blackhole Sun and Wonderwall... Wait!! What!!?? Yep! And they are really good, IMHO. Turn down the lights and get your favorite beverage. I think you'll really like this one.

Tonight's Jazz recommendation...

JazzReco-21.jpg

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #152,829 of 155,092

ROFL!

I fondly? remember getting my driver's license when I moved (back) to California. I was required to do the written test (but no driving test), so after waiting the obligatory 3 hours, I did the test and handed it to the visibly disinterested lady at the counter. She graded it, and then started calling some of her (also disinterested) colleagues over to take a look. I'm like what in hell is going on here, and she told me she'd been there 11 years and had never seen anyone from out-of-state make a 100 on the written test. I told her I didn't know whether I should be proud of that or scared out of my wits to be driving on a CA highway. 🤣

NC: Need to get registration for my son's car that's in my name. Working in Atlanta, so leave there at 6:30AM, arrive at the tag office in Charlotte at 10:30AM. My number is finally called at 4:45PM. Fortunately. At 5:00 on the proverbial dot, they tell everyone else that has been waiting for hours to leave, the office is closed, and they'll need to come back another day.

GA: Grab my number, wait about an hour and my number is called.

OK: Greeted by a "May I help you?" as I walk in the door. I ask where I need to grab a number. Confused look. "No numbers sir, I can help you with what you need." Approx 15 minutes later I walk out with my tags. Perhaps tornados have instilled a sense of urgency? 🤣

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:15 PM Post #152,830 of 155,092
Wait til you do the inspection and, wait for it, the registration/sticker at freaking HEB while you buy your food, wine/beer, and lowest price gasoline around. They literally print your window sticker at the local freaking grocery store.

THAT part of Texas is perfect!
H-E-B … or as I call it; The Butt-Store.

Well, don't keep us hanging -- did you get your vehicle registration or did you just hand over $190 for the entertainment ?? :D
Yes, eventually.
The 190 was for the registration, the entertainment was free.

May 23, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #152,831 of 155,092
Welcome to Texas, my friend! The folks here are great (for the most part). :D

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #152,832 of 155,092
Happy to report being on the far side of Covid, am now out of isolation (hard to do with a large family), and am on the mend.

Re-watched the entire first season of The Rings of Power and listened to nearly all of Book 4 of The Wheel of Time. No sci-fi to be found anywhere in my isolation, it seems! Lol

Thank you for the well-wishes.
I am glad you are doing better my friend, take care of yourself, and be well.

May 23, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #152,833 of 155,092
Jason preferred the Gumby to Yggy for headphones (at the time), and mine is in my headphone stack
In my experience, OG Yggy (A2) is more impressive with a good speaker system than with headphones. It's very, very good with headphones, but not radically better than some competitors. With speakers, a different story. In our previous house, the space was a great fit for a particular speaker system (OG Yggy>Hegel 360>KEF Reference 1s+REL t/7i) with careful placement of speakers and subs. The rendering of performance space was uncanny. Unfortunately (for my wallet) I had to switch to an aggressively DSPed speaker system for our current crazy space. That older system left great memories.

May 23, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #152,834 of 155,092

Clerk: "Yes? Car registration? Ugh, I really don't want to be here, how dare you waste my valuable time with such menial tasks. Uh, you haven't made an appointment eight weeks in advance? I hope you don't mind waiting in a line out in the sun for the next four hours. That'll be $600, now and then again every year that follows. Now get out of my face already."

That is funny as hell and so well written!
My wife (who studied creative writing) adores what you wrote. ( we are also watching the Gilmore Girls on her request) so the Stars Hollow reference had her nearly rolling on the floor. (Introduction song by Carole King by the way.)

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 11:02 PM Post #152,835 of 155,092
Now I love Focal Utopias and trust me when I say I have tried the TOTL in most major brands. I run those so I can hear subtle differences in tubes.
Recently got Utopia 2020s for a good price, enjoying them a lot with tubes, not yet as convincing with (some) solid-states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back