Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 24, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #129,077 of 152,790
The pain is in the word significantly.
From 0,01 ohm to 0,02 ohm is significant? Ever done measurements with audio connectors?
(not space, war, or other unrelated stuff)

But I rest my case.
Just like cables, if people believe in a sound improvement by cleaning, polishing or greasing audio connectors I don't care as long as they enjoy their music.
I have just had a quick look at the electrical conductivity of oxidised, sulphated and chlorinated brass and copper ( ie tarnished ) 0.01 and 0.02 ohm is way, way off the mark - indeed there is evidence that the tarnish behaves as a semiconductor at certain frequencies - But totally agree that fundamentally ' Enjoy the Music !! ' is the whole point of all we say and do on this Fab Forum .

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #129,078 of 152,790
Thanks for your comments! Which bird do you fly? 737 Max?
bird ? ... BIRD ??!! Have you ever seen the British film 'Reach for the Sky' about war ace Douglas Bader ??

His flying instructor said ... "Never call it a 'kite' " ... (or a bird !) ... it's an 'aeroplane' or 'aircraft' ... Respect !! :relaxed:

I'll keep quiet now !!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:55 AM Post #129,079 of 152,790
Quad ESL63 was mentioned earlier, which reminded me that back in the early 90s I went on trading course at Quad, and part of the day was a tour of the factory. The ESL was made by little old ladies, with skill and care.
They are still one my favourite speakers, although I can’t afford them, or fit them in my small house.

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:10 AM Post #129,080 of 152,790
Quad ESL63 was mentioned earlier, which reminded me that back in the early 90s I went on trading course at Quad, and part of the day was a tour of the factory. The ESL was made by little old ladies, with skill and care.
They are still one my favourite speakers, although I can’t afford them, or fit them in my small house.
I used to work in a bike store a stones throw from the Quad factory and would service the bikes of the little old ladies who made the ESL's !! One of them told me about the huge stash of Quad amps and Tubes in her attic !! Ahem

Oct 24, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #129,081 of 152,790
In a similar vein, about 10 years ago I visited ATC's factory in rural Gloucestershire, England.

I took my very old SCM 100A speakers in to be 'serviced'.

The Engineers at ATC ended up doing an almost complete rebuild of my speakers- new amp packs, new bass drivers and new HF drivers.

The only original parts remaining were the 'soft-dome' MF drivers ( which still measured as new, so did not need to be replaced) and the cabinets!

I ended up with a pair of speakers which were effectively brand new ATC SCM 100 ASLs. ( These now retail at around £19k in the UK).
Luckily, despite being over 25 years old, the cabinets are still mint.

I absolutely love them.

Whilst at the factory, despite being very busy fulfilling a huge order from Dolby in the States, I was given a full tour.

All of the staff were really welcoming and, as with the Quad ESL's, all of the speaker components were hand built by staff who took immense pride in their work.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #129,082 of 152,790
In a similar vein, about 10 years ago I visited ATC's factory in rural Gloucestershire, England.

I took my very old SCM 100A speakers in to be 'serviced'.

The Engineers at ATC ended up doing an almost complete rebuild of my speakers- new amp packs, new bass drivers and new HF drivers.

The only original parts remaining were the 'soft-dome' MF drivers ( which still measured as new, so did not need to be replaced) and the cabinets!

I ended up with a pair of speakers which were effectively brand new ATC SCM 100 ASLs. ( These now retail at around £19k in the UK).
Luckily, despite being over 25 years old, the cabinets are still mint.

I absolutely love them.

Whilst at the factory, despite being very busy fulfilling a huge order from Dolby in the States, I was given a full tour.

All of the staff were really welcoming and, as with the Quad ESL's, all of the speaker components were hand built by staff who took immense pride in their work.
And that’s how products should be supported.
I had a few factory visits when I sold hifi; Linn, Meridian, Mission (pre IAG), B&W, and Arcam. Arcam was memorable, as it was my first exposure to Abbot Ale 🍺

Oct 24, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #129,083 of 152,790
And that’s how products should be supported.
I had a few factory visits when I sold hifi; Linn, Meridian, Mission (pre IAG), B&W, and Arcam. Arcam was memorable, as it was my first exposure to Abbot Ale 🍺
I liked the Acoustic Research product launches - basically it went like this - the designer and account manager stood either side of the new range of speakers , the description went thus - ' welcome to our new speaker range - the big driver at the bottom goes bollocks bollocks bollocks and the little one at the top goes chirp chirp chirp , some of them have a middle speaker that says the bars open !!! I kid you not and that was It . !!!!

Oct 24, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #129,084 of 152,790
Last night I broke out my recently upgraded Yggy+OG. The finish is so silky smooth it didn’t even feel like Schiit! It also felt more solid compared to the old chassis. It definitely fit the feel of a premium component.

Here you can kind of see the difference compared to the brushed aluminum of Tyr.

IMG_4048.jpeg

Finally got to hear it a little last night and it sounded very good. Looking forward to breaking it in.

Oct 24, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #129,085 of 152,790
Last night I broke out my recently upgraded Yggy+OG. The finish is so silky smooth it didn’t even feel like Schiit! It also felt more solid compared to the old chassis. It definitely fit the feel of a premium component.

Here you can kind of see the difference compared to the brushed aluminum of Tyr.

IMG_4048.jpeg

Finally got to hear it a little last night and it sounded very good. Looking forward to breaking it in.
FMJ

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #129,086 of 152,790
The second worst traffic that I have experienced in my life was in Pigeon Forge
It's very useful to know the back roads into Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, especially in October. The main parkways are always jammed.
Thanks for visiting, @Ripper2860 ... hope you didn't mind the 9.75% sales tax too much.

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #129,090 of 152,790
Beautiful slide ruler. I also had a Faber-Castell but left it in Grad School in a lecture hall and lost it. It was replaced by an HP 25 (49 steps of RPN programming). I still have this Aristo:

IMG_8901.jpg
"Made in Germany" - pre-War or post-Unification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back