Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 23, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #129,061 of 155,074
Spent the last 10 days in TN. Most of it in a cabin in the mountains with virtually no internet or cell service. Beautiful fall colors!! It was glorious! Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Knoxville (went to the Vols vs A&M game), then on to Nashville (Broadway St.) and Memphis (Beal St.). Just got back yesterday evening.

Catching up at work and then I must watch the Rangers whoop-ass on Houston tonight. I'll start catching up tomorrow and try to make up for my 140-210 post deficit. :wink:
The second worst traffic that I have experienced in my life was in Pigeon Forge

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #129,062 of 155,074
The second worst traffic that I have experienced in my life was in Pigeon Forge
Yeah. Pigeon Forge and heading into Gatlinburg was pretty rough. 😒

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #129,063 of 155,074
Most of my high school teachers, "What will you do if don't have a calculator?" A few of the darker ones, "What if the Russians bomb Texas Instruments?"
What if you lose all fingers and toes to frostbite!? 😮

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #129,064 of 155,074
acurus-dia-100-ampGood evening all,
I’m listening to Mozart’s Requiem via Mac mini, Bifrost, Freya S and Acura’s A100 electronics and Focal 726 Chorus speakers. My question is, what are the symptoms of failing caps in my 30 year old Acurus power amp? Recently it seems that the music doesn’t have the presence or drive I remember. I am thinking of asking Santa for some new toys, I don’t think I can swing a pair of Tyrs but perhaps one or two Vidars…
Thank you!
A decade or 3 ago I looked into buying a used upgrade Acruras amp. I ended going another direction. But youe post created a spark.
1. Your post has a mis-spelling: "Acura's..." I cut and pasted to search in Google, and all I got were links to buying cars. Goolge continues to go off the precipice. Almost every link was to a site selling things. They dropped their motto Do no harm. If they want to be honest they should adopt a new one "Hardly any info, just a lot of advertising."
2. I found a short thread on DIYaudio about replacing caps on an Acurus DIA 100.

DIYaudio acurus 100 thread

This made me wish I had continued with the enthusiasm I had in my middle school electronics class. But I had two "teachers" in electronics class in high school who rebuffed my request to teach us anything beyond assembling low end kits.

In that link above is a reference to Jeff Glowacki at Sonic Craft. I spent a few evenings talking with him about my Golden Tube Audio SE-40; he told me all the great, bad and okay of that amp. He made upgrade kits for that amp. It seems now he sells caps. I'm guessing if you could get him on the phone he might give some good advice. Getting him off the phone was not so easy... :beyersmile:
I heard some Acuras amps at some Stereophile shows, but that was decades ago. And never heard any of the Schitt speaker amps. Getting an idea of the cost to recap the Acuras would be a good place to start

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #129,065 of 155,074
I carry a lot of in-case items almost all the time. In the audio category there is a Schiit Fulla (3 I think)
The analog line input makes the Fulla 3 especially suited for the general-purpose problem-solver role. The USB-C and 1/4-inch connectors on the newer one are nice, but I'd certainly put the 3 in a travel kit and not the E.

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #129,066 of 155,074
What if you lose all fingers and toes to frostbite!? 😮
…. walking to school uphill 🗻 both ways, barefoot 🦶 in the snow ❄️ …. a/k/a bcowening …. 😫

Oct 23, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #129,067 of 155,074
Fluance is a Canadian company, Rega is British. The vagaries of international business mean entry level products not made in China tend to be more affordable in their home markets. Rega is expensive here, Fluance would be expensive there.

Good to have choices, though!
Also why Paradigm is a great deal in Canada

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #129,068 of 155,074
Hey! Where's @Ripper2860? Not like him to not post 20-30 times per day. If he's on vacation it's going to take a full day just to catch up here!
Maybe he had some NC BBQ and is recovering ❤️‍🩹

Oct 23, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #129,069 of 155,074
valiant66 said:
Fluance is a Canadian company, Rega is British. The vagaries of international business mean entry level products not made in China tend to be more affordable in their home markets. Rega is expensive here, Fluance would be expensive there.

Yes it's interesting how product perception differs depending on the country. In the US Schiit is seen as a budget brand, quality at a realistic price. Here they just don't have that going for them due to currency exchange and shipping costs unfortunately.

Oct 23, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #129,070 of 155,074
valiant66 said:

Yes it's interesting how product perception differs depending on the country. In the US Schiit is seen as a budget brand, quality at a realistic price. Here they just don't have that going for them due to currency exchange and shipping costs unfortunately.

Currency exchange and shipping get trumped by local taxes, me thinks.

Example: the cost of crude oil is the same everywhere, a worldwide commodity. The local cost of gas varies wildly due to varying local taxes.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #129,071 of 155,074
Currency exchange and shipping get trumped by local taxes, me thinks.

Example: the cost of crude oil is the same everywhere, a worldwide commodity. The local cost of gas varies wildly due to varying local taxes.
.83 cents of the cost of a LITRE (3.78) = gallon is TAX in Vancouver BC .. Currently $1.79 /L

Oct 23, 2023 at 11:49 PM Post #129,072 of 155,074
And the Texas Rangers advance to the World Series!! Woohoo!!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #129,073 of 155,074
And talking about calculators... and yes I do clean its battery contacts with DeOxit. :)

IMG_8898.jpg
I think your secret code machine is broken. It doesn't say SƎIꓭOOꓭ when I turn it upside down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back