Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #124,247 of 152,856
why my Schiit’s on a Kasa Smart power sreip. actions to turn it on for 2-channel or headphone use. Prettiness (or pettiness) not required. Just tell she-who-must-not-be-named to do it, et voila! FM, if I do say so myself…

Edit: Ableza got there firstest. Now I need to look at Niles.
I also have a Kasa smart strip and some plugs

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:39 PM Post #124,248 of 152,856
ZoNtO said:

FYI @XERO1 has created a Mjolnir 3 Impressions thread. Please share new impressions there so they’re easier to find.

I understand, but personally I rather just come here as my main one stop shop for all things Schiit.
For me, when an item is new, I like to see early impressions posted here.
After an item has been around a while, then it goes to the special thread.
So for example, my use of Audio Engine speakers with Syn is (just now) posted in Schiit Syn Impressions

Noah

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #124,249 of 152,856
Aug 20, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #124,250 of 152,856
Van Alstine makes the ABX Switch Comparator. How is your idea different?
It appears that it largely isn't. I was not aware of that unit. Can't tell exactly how it works though, so maybe there's devils in them details.

I did envision 3 alternatives, not just two. And I did mention USB, which is much more possible for Schiit who have their own receiver and transceiver than it is for anyone else.

But yeah, the Van Alstine seems to be what I'm looking for, and as I expected out of my price range. Doesn't really seem overpriced though.

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #124,252 of 152,856
True, and I personally have a Lokius but not a Saga. This idea is in the context of making Saga a more enticing proposition.

I myself still wouldn't buy it, because 1 dB steps on the volume control is too coarse for me. But I'm fairly sure this is not a normal criticism.

For me personally, I want 0.625 dB steps in the volume control, balanced out, Lokius placed before preamp so I can use it both with headphones and with speakers, and switchable outputs also for headphones / speakers. So I'm eyeing the Kara for sure. Kinda would prefer to have the headphone amp separate from the pre though.

Also, my wallet is not agreeing to anything at the moment, and this will take months to resolve.
I have Lokius last in the chain, with the XLR outs to Vidars and the SE outs to an Asgard. Can then use the Freya+ to control the volume on 'phones as well (inc remotely) but simply leaving the Asgard with the pot way up. Would depend on your circumstance and gear though.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #124,255 of 152,856
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #124,256 of 152,856
For those of you still complaining about power switch toggles on the back of gear, there are plenty of options available for remote-controlled power strips. I use one made by Niles. The truth is out there...
Power switches on the back of the tube gear is not great in my opinion and I don’t really like turning my gear off and on at the socket either.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #124,257 of 152,856
I have Lokius last in the chain, with the XLR outs to Vidars and the SE outs to an Asgard. Can then use the Freya+ to control the volume on 'phones as well (inc remotely) but simply leaving the Asgard with the pot way up. Would depend on your circumstance and gear though.

My experience with a Loki Mini+ is that it should be before the preamp. I bet the same applies to any EQ.

Less convenient as it only affects one input. I chose the source I hear more often, and the source more often playing background music and the EQ used as a loudness control.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #124,258 of 152,856
My experience with a Loki Mini+ is that it should be before the preamp. I bet the same applies to any EQ.

Less convenient as it only affects one input. I chose the source I hear more often, and the source more often playing background music and the EQ used as a loudness control.
I go Modi and Mani into a Sys first. Then Loki into Vali.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back