Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 20, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #124,276 of 155,140
Lower amplitude signal before preamp. Higher amplitude signal traveling through EQ when it is positioned after preamp.
Usually it will be the other way around. Before the preamp, the EQ receives the full line level signal. After the preamp, the signal has been attenuated by the volume control (except at maximum).

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #124,278 of 155,140
Usually it will be the other way around. Before the preamp, the EQ receives the full line level signal. After the preamp, the signal has been attenuated by the volume control (except at maximum).
I use Loki Max as my input switcher - the (single) XLR input receives Yggy's analog outputs, and the (single) SE input gets the output of my phono preamplifier.... then, Loki Max's XLR output feeds my line preamp, and the line preamp's XLR outputs drive the Tyr pair.

This works like a charm for me, as Loki Max's differential circuitry converts the SE input to balanced, and helps bring the volume levels of the two input paths (balanced and single-ended) closer together.

Also - from the Loki Max manual:

Connect your sources. Connect up to 2 sources—one balanced and one single-ended—to Loki Max’s inputs. You can connect Loki Max either before or after your preamp. Connecting before your preamp can allow for a lower noise floor. Connecting after your preamp allows you to use more than two sources.

This also works for me, see the spoiler for info on my system's line preamp... it's pretty quiet.

Of course, as always... YMMV. :)

Aug 20, 2023 at 9:29 PM Post #124,279 of 155,140
With low efficiency speakers… the signal post preamp is quite high. :) But yes, you are correct for low volumes post amp signals have lower amplitudes. On the other hand pipeline SNR is better with EQ pre preamp.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #124,280 of 155,140
Yep. Pretty silly if you ask me on that product but whatever.
Do you own one? I can't imagine a scenario where i would have an issue turning my fv off, it runs so hot I can't imagine sandwiching it in a rack where it would be tough to get to. I would never want it on the front.
I use Loki Max as my input switcher - the (single) XLR input receives Yggy's analog outputs, and the (single) SE input gets the output of my phono preamplifier.... then, Loki Max's XLR output feeds my line preamp, and the line preamp's XLR outputs drive the Tyr pair.

This works like a charm for me, as Loki Max's differential circuitry converts the SE input to balanced, and helps bring the volume levels of the two input paths (balanced and single-ended) closer together.

Also - from the Loki Max manual:

Connect your sources. Connect up to 2 sources—one balanced and one single-ended—to Loki Max’s inputs. You can connect Loki Max either before or after your preamp. Connecting before your preamp can allow for a lower noise floor. Connecting after your preamp allows you to use more than two sources.

This also works for me, see the spoiler for info on my system's line preamp... it's pretty quiet.

Of course, as always... YMMV. :)
This is exactly what I use my Lokis for, it's nice having double duty of switching and tone control.

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #124,282 of 155,140
I don't get the thing of being upset with a switch position. None of their stuff is so big that you're going to pull a muscle reaching for the on/off toggle and it's easy to find without even looking. I guess it's an example of not at all important first world problems.
I don’t think anyone is upset. I just think it’s a weird thing that they insist on being known for.

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #124,283 of 155,140
USB cable minimum length?

In anticipation of MJ3 getting here (eventually, thanks, FedEx... :smiling_imp:), I moved Urd over to the other side of the TT. Now, Urd's on top, my streamer below, then Yggy, then the right Tyr. Right now, the streamer connects to Yggy via a 0.5M AES/EBU cable, but I'd like to try the USB out of the streamer into Urd. This would let me switch between the Urd and the streamer from Urd's remote, and it might even give some sonic benefits... we'll see.

Anyway - the question - is there a minimum length for a USB cable? I remember reading 0.6M somewhere, not sure if that's because 0.6M is the minimum length that's normally made, or if there is an electrical reason...

Thanks in advance,

/ds

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #124,284 of 155,140

In anticipation of MJ3 getting here (eventually, thanks, FedEx... :smiling_imp:), I moved Urd over to the other side of the TT. Now, Urd's on top, my streamer below, then Yggy, then the right Tyr. Right now, the streamer connects to Yggy via a 0.5M AES/EBU cable, but I'd like to try the USB out of the streamer into Urd. This would let me switch between the Urd and the streamer from Urd's remote, and it might even give some sonic benefits... we'll see.

Anyway - the question - is there a minimum length for a USB cable? I remember reading 0.6M somewhere, not sure if that's because 0.6M is the minimum length that's normally made, or if there is an electrical reason...

Thanks in advance,

/ds

I asked Schiit Audio which cable they recommended, as there were some issues with USB cables. They replied with Amazon Basics USB 2.0 cables - 1m or so. I purchased this one for USBc to USBc:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYZQM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It works fine! The key is USB rev 2.0, nothing fancier than that.

Aug 20, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #124,285 of 155,140

In anticipation of MJ3 getting here (eventually, thanks, FedEx... :smiling_imp:).......
....Thanks in advance,

/ds

At least your MJ3 has shipped...😂.....

If my MJ3 doesnt make it to FedEx's careless hands tomorrow, I won't see it until the 28th or later...

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #124,287 of 155,140
^ +1

I can see the pros and cons of power switch location (performance vs. location), but adding a little bit to the cost of a power brick to give us a cord that is more easily plugged into wall outlets, surge suppressors, or power conditioners would be really nice. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #124,288 of 155,140
I asked Schiit Audio which cable they recommended, as there were some issues with USB cables. They replied with Amazon Basics USB 2.0 cables - 1m or so. I purchased this one for USBc to USBc:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GGKYZQM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

It works fine! The key is USB rev 2.0, nothing fancier than that.
Ahhh, I like fancy wires, just not too fancy. I use a Wireworld Usb c to c (yellow) on the MM2. Wireworld rca interconnects, too. So far they won't sponsor me but it doesn't hurt to mention it.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #124,289 of 155,140
I'm an idiot. I don't have a source for my upcoming GMB/MJ3/MiniC stack. Suggestions? That also matches the aesthetics? Gumby OG with Gen5 USB, if that matters. (I have plenty of sources "to make do" but no permanent one)

btw, I did receive the Allo MiniBoss Player Plus. Never again will I buy from them.
  1. They sent a European power supply to the United States.
  2. The power supply looks like it's a hand-me-down through several generations of Clampetts.
  3. The HDMI jack on it is non-standard, about 1/2 the size of any HDMI I've ever seen.
  4. It doesn't boot off the provided card. Manufacturer's solution: make a new card. Then w.t.f. am I paying for?
  5. The online setup instructions are wrong. Plug the power into the USB-C port? Why the hell does it have a barrel connector socket and a barrel connector power supply?
Plus, it's the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back