Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 17, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #123,917 of 149,490
Third magic item? Maybe I'm just making up that there was a third item mentioned, but ya know - I'm crazy, like the world.

Both items today are awesome! Nice work Schiit. I think the Lyr is still the amp calling my name in the lineup, but maybe a Raggy or even MJ3 sized Ribbon amp would be a fun addition. :poop:

Unison hub would be rad. Still have my Eitr doing all PC decoding. More outputs would be cool, but I know how ya'll feel about that.

Syn just for headphones / 2.1 chan?

Sorry, but I don't need any analog gear, so no thunderdome thumbs up from me. (Turntable or Tube Phono)

More into 2-chan with some active x-over and dsp functions? I think there a few of those in the pro world, but not in the 'audiophile' world

Aug 17, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #123,918 of 149,490
I would love to know the sound signature of the MJ3 ... warm, neutral, bright ? ... have Schiit ever done anything on the bright side ?
Yes. I would consider all pre light-pipe Schiit gear EXTREMELY bright! :D

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #123,919 of 149,490
You know, guys - as a lover of the music of both Evanescence and Muse, I always figured that the "wall of sound" compression algo they chose was a deliberate artistic choice... :)

I'd like to think that, but then I'd ask "WHY???"
^^^ This

Have you listened to the latest Joe Satriani? The kick drum on the first track, Sahara, bothered me so much due to "artistic choice" that I can't listen to rest of the album. It sounds clipped and muted and is if you look at the waveform

Screenshot 2023-08-18 090456.png

There is no good reason for this to happen, IMO

Aug 17, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #123,921 of 149,490
Yeah, I know, I suggested it some time ago. but elephants never forget. Just trying to keep the idea alive.

Thanks to Schiit, we live in exciting times.

Well, I suggested an FM tuner with a magic eye and even mocked up a Photoshop version. It did not survive Jason's disapproval. My takeaway: no FM Schiit... even though I would totally dig it.

Still exciting times nonetheless!

Aug 17, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #123,922 of 149,490
Well, I suggested an FM tuner with a magic eye and even mocked up a Photoshop version. It did not survive Jason's disapproval. My takeaway: no FM Schiit... even though I would totally dig it.

Still exciting times nonetheless!
I loved the magic eye tubes in the Cary 805 amps. Provided no useful information whatsoever, but it was a blast to watch. :smile:

A tuner is a much more practical use for that tube.

1692316503234.png

Aug 17, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #123,923 of 149,490
Aug 17, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #123,924 of 149,490
Over two posts I surmised this

Passive Kara was the same as Passive Freya S

Active Kara in any gain mode was better then Freya S's gain modes.
+1.

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #123,925 of 149,490
Long-time listener, first time caller - just wanted to say to Jason - thanks for being candid about this product's development for the last six month's or so. I know Schiit's usual policy is to stay tight lipped until the product is ready to ship, like the new Kara. But on a more limited run like this, where my interest was piqued the day the MJ3 was first teased, it helped make sure I had the funds ready, and was keeping an eye out for updates.

Because some other folks out there, like me, think this is awesome! In my formative years, I learned that the best sounding stuff was often the heaviest, the hottest, and the only measurement that mattered was "weight per watt" - the more, the better. Order placed!
In my experience, the bigger the stuff that makes up the guts of audio equipment, the bigger the sound itself. I have no way of proving it scientifically, but no portable DAC/amp sounds as big and as present as say, my Schiit Asgard.

I also have mic preamps, and the external ones like the Black Lion Audio Auteur MkII
also sound bigger and more present than the small mic preamps inside my audio interfaces.

In my electronics ignorance, it feels to me that the bigger the electrical path, the bigger the signal sounds. It's why discrete stuff with big components tend to have that weighty, expansive sound.

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #123,926 of 149,490
Oh yeah! Hot off the burn rack, baby!!!

1692317914709.png

Saturday... yesssssssssssssssssssssss!!!
Imagine if yours was burned on the rack months ago and it has been sitting in its box all this time waiting for you. Oh no, you're getting New Old Stock. 😝

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #123,927 of 149,490

Attachments

• schiit_freya S manual.pdf
    744.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Schiit Preamp APx555 Standard Test Suite_ Freya S.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • schiit_freya_s_pcb_201905.jpg
    schiit_freya_s_pcb_201905.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #123,929 of 149,490
here's the manual, APx report and "internal" PCB pic

This is good. Thanks!

But it would be great to have a PDF with the original description, Specs, FAQ and all photos. It used to be that products had paper brochures.

BTW… that manual PDF was revised earlier this year when someone pointed out to Schiit that the amp’s stage mode LED descriptions were off. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back