Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 11, 2023 at 12:35 AM Post #123,436 of 152,848
Conventional wisdom has it that German—with all its intricacies, stickt grammar rules, and "fun" gimmicks like compound nouns—would be the ideal language for poets and thinkers to express their concepts in, but I wholeheartedly disagree. English has German beat, hands down. Because it's the relative flexibility and simplicity of English that allows you to express pretty much everything you want without getting lost in overly complicated syntax or getting buried by an avalanche of "big words." Easy to write, easy to express even the most complex ideas with … and all the while it remains refreshingly easy for the reader to parse and to understand.
To experience first-hand what I mean, one only has to read Kant's Kritik der reinen Vernunft (Critique of Pure Reason) or Heidegger's Sein und Zeit (Being and Time) first in the German original and then the respective English translations. While the German originals leave this particular armchair philosopher with a throbbing headache by page three, the English translations are a breeze.
My (much) better half disagrees. German major, spent a year in Munich, on the basis of that got a PhD in philosophy (ethics, Arendt (Heidegger's pupil, IIRC)), loves Kant (I think). Says the clarity of the original German is breathtaking.

Me, only German I know I picked up from the Traveller role playing game: starship Gmbh FTW! (I'm just an instigator here :) )
Languages are weird, and also fun.
Amen. Etymology is a personal fascination.

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #123,437 of 152,848
I have an OPPO BD83 se from 10+ years ago........Oppo put of business for years now but still repairs stuff. ...
Just a technical correction. OPPO is still in business. They've always made most of their revenue from cell phones in Asia.

Maybe get the mod for the OPPO that lets it output all the digital channels via coax. Then DACs galore!

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #123,438 of 152,848
... It was fun watching some QA engineers from India puzzing out "knuckle head". ...
Years ago worked with a natural language search engine that did semantic expansion.
Our Indian QA consultants never did understand what fly had to do with baseball.

Aug 11, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #123,439 of 152,848
Their definition of "original source" is so wide as to be meaningless, although I have read and heard this before....
"Original source" would be what the composer(s) imagined it would sound like, maybe.

I'll take the equipment that can reproduce what Beethoven imagined after he went deaf in exchange for any of my (failing, fair warning) body parts!

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #123,440 of 152,848
In terms of accents, as I have said before, I have read every post in this thread, and the fact of the matter is that all of you sound exactly the same. Every one of y'all sound exactly like my accent and voice. Seems peculiar, I know, but I trust my ears on this.
I'm reading Timelike Diplomacy by Charles Stross. In it, they use quantum entangled qubits to communicate at faster-than-light speeds. When they do, because the qubits are so precious, they compress the hell out of everything. And, use the voice of the sender for all audio.

Imagine what a Teams meeting would be like! ;-D

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #123,441 of 152,848
Here's what it said back in 2020, for reference. I like the removal of "faithfully" 😀
Screenshot_20230810_220856_Wikipedia.jpg

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #123,442 of 152,848
...It was fun watching some QA engineers from India puzzing out "knuckle head". ...
*puzzling* not puzzing...
Though perhaps I unintentionally created a new word?
I'm very disappointed in my proofreading failure.

Aug 11, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #123,443 of 152,848
Strange "review" of the URD from John Darko.

Pity he didn't do a more reasonable comparison of the URD vs something other than a 'luxury' CD-Player

OR .. even a stand-alone review of the URD

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 2:41 AM Post #123,444 of 152,848
Pity he didn't do a more reasonable comparison of the URD vs something other than a 'luxury' CD-Player

OR .. even a stand-alone review of the URD
Yeah I agree. A missed opportunity perhaps.

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #123,447 of 152,848
Not one of John’s better efforts. I honestly think the Urd was thrown in for clickbait. Urd discussion was cursory at best.
I agree. It felt shallow to me!

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #123,450 of 152,848
English is the street mutt of languages. It has ... let's say ... hybrid vigor.

But it is always pleasing to read things that are well-written.

In terms of accents, as I have said before, I have read every post in this thread, and the fact of the matter is that all of you sound exactly the same. Every one of y'all sound exactly like my accent and voice. Seems peculiar, I know, but I trust my ears on this.
Accents and dialects I love em - but am I the only one who imagines Paddington Bear with Peruvian accent ? even as a child reading the books Paddington was truly from darkest Peru and sounded like it !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back