Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 11, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #123,451 of 155,088
My (much) better half disagrees. German major, spent a year in Munich, on the basis of that got a PhD in philosophy (ethics, Arendt (Heidegger's pupil, IIRC)), loves Kant (I think). Says the clarity of the original German is breathtaking.

Me, only German I know I picked up from the Traveller role playing game: starship Gmbh FTW! (I'm just an instigator here :) )

Amen. Etymology is a personal fascination.
My South African dentist always reckoned that you haven't been insulted until someone insults you in Afrikaans

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #123,452 of 155,088
Fun times coming up...

Going to do the G-horn single, mono-block vs Aegir tests when the gear arrives.

But with the new Freya Noval, three days in house and its superb....if u can get one at the Closeout at Schiit for $599 with tubes...run dont walk...tremendous
offering..and probably gone soon if not already...

I am doing a set of listening tests with the Freya N' switching ability.
Using an old Oppo BD 83SE twice repaired for drive failures opening.
Has old ESS Sabre dac chips...
Using several other external separate dacs.
Able to compare the dacs for SE and Balanced outs using the Oppo as a transport. Compare the differential, tube and passive modes.
Able to contrast ESS dacs in Oppo with external dacs.
Able to compare SE vs balanced outs for the Freya N.
Able to compare streaming from Qobuz to all the non streaming setups.
Then able to pop in different tubes in Gain stage of Freya N..

Gosh so many permutations! I will be busy for several days!!.

Initial listens my ear is uncannily liking the old ESS dacs in the Oppo!!
How can this be?

Freya is a superb pre-amp...just wondering how I lived without this neat item!
Alex

Pix only shows Freya N and a Brand X Dac. Schiits are in the que next!
Will have to get a Modi ESS Schitt dac as well!

1691616460446.png
Nice setup - nestles into the eaves rather well - it would be interesting the effect of having the speakers tweeters inside or outside with that particular room

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #123,453 of 155,088
Just a technical correction. OPPO is still in business. They've always made most of their revenue from cell phones in Asia.

Maybe get the mod for the OPPO that lets it output all the digital channels via coax. Then DACs galore!
Correcto!

Oppo still has some parts according to our chats...the first time they replaced the entire drive after a few years, this time they told me no more complete drives, but they could repair the drive with parts. Came back, works great for a 12 lb 2009 timeframe cd/blueray its still pretty decent for me....I even seem to prefer the Oppos RCA outs versus using the digital outs to a external dac...could be my internal bias here...

Didnt know about the all channels digital mod? Hmmm....it has outs for all channels but RCA and I did upgrade the board for this, hence the "SE" moniker". When I watch a blu ray, which is not often anymore I just use the hdmi to my AVR and am happy with that...

URD will replace this one day.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #123,454 of 155,088
Nice setup - nestles into the eaves rather well - it would be interesting the effect of having the speakers tweeters inside or outside with that particular room
Yeah its the typical room over the garage small area etc...I did try these smaller 10" woofer SEAS A26 with tweeters both ways...the tweeters are supposed to be very directional and some state to toe in abit. Played with this as well. The biggest issue is low end cutoff...assisted with internal damping and placement to back wall and corner.

The Freya has been really a wonderful appliance to allow for switching, testing multiple inputs etc...often get lost in the choices!!

Fun..

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #123,455 of 155,088
Nice setup - nestles into the eaves rather well - it would be interesting the effect of having the speakers tweeters inside or outside with that
Yeah its the typical room over the garage small area etc...I did try these smaller 10" woofer SEAS A26 with tweeters both ways...the tweeters are supposed to be very directional and some state to toe in abit. Played with this as well. The biggest issue is low end cutoff...assisted with internal damping and placement to back wall and corner.

The Freya has been really a wonderful appliance to allow for switching, testing multiple inputs etc...often get lost in the choices!!

Fun..
I’ve been eyeing those 10” Seas

Fun..
I’ve been eyeing those 10” Seas drivers on Madisound. What are your impressions on them?

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #123,458 of 155,088
@Godaisan

One word "EXCELLENT".
Both drivers in this design are extremely good.
If implemented well...they stack up to much higher cost stuff..IMO.

Not cheap, and the tweeters are even more expensive....but 1/5" vs typical 1" domes...
Thanks. I was thinking of trying to build a pair but using the cheaper Seas tweeters and a sealed box. They look great.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #123,459 of 155,088
Can't recall if I shared my DIY headphone stand with build in Magni... So hopefully this is not a repeat.

IMG_8586.JPG
IMG_8591.JPGIMG_8592.JPG
Neat & tidy !!

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #123,460 of 155,088
Location is booked and paid for!
Y'all attendees do not fail to chip-in to the Graham appreciation fund. Cost of the venue should not be borne solely by the meet organizer. HP Meets 101. :)

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #123,461 of 155,088
Strange "review" of the URD from John Darko.

I think 'strange' is very polite, @VNVNation :beyersmile:

I now find Darko's videos unwatchable.

Irritating in the extreme, with emphasis on style over substance and a lot of hubris.

There are far better reviewers out there who actually know what they are talking about!

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #123,463 of 155,088
@Godaisan

One word "EXCELLENT".
Both drivers in this design are extremely good.
If implemented well...they stack up to much higher cost stuff..IMO.

Not cheap, and the tweeters are even more expensive....but 1/5" vs typical 1" domes...
Did you mean 1.5" aka 1 1/2", or possibly 1 1/5" aka 1.2" which seems odd but maybe a conversion from 30 mm?

Aug 11, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #123,465 of 155,088
I'm missing something. Doesnt the remote for Yggy + allow a person to select their desired input? Like Bifrost 2 does?
Yah sure, but that's the Plus... not our OGs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back