Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 11, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #123,481 of 155,078
After a few days of "putzzing" with the new Freya Noval, tubes, dacs, sources....
Today the magic is back with the stock tubes, the Modi Multibit 2, SE, a streaming via the convivence of Qubuz...
Comparing to three other dacs, all good, multiple NOS tubes in both sides, balanced vs SE...a few cabling issues.
That caused some mios-leading conclusions here...

Basically the Freya Noval with the stock tubes, those nasty Russian ones...with the extremely high cost Schiit Modi Multibit 2...
bring me close to as good as it gets for 2 ch stereo in my room and budget..

Yes the speakers and room acoustics have a lot to do with it...

For the bucks IMO that little MB 2 is the heat...and a Freya Noval for $599 is the deal of the century...YMMV.

I see a few left at the Schiit site...soon to be gone!

These fellows whole-heartedly concur with my findings!!

LOL!
Alex

1691781079621.png
To borrow from @Ripper2860, the Freya N is the steal of the century. I mostly blame him for my decision to buy one, but am so glad that I did!

Aug 11, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #123,482 of 155,078
So, a weird thing. I was doing some mild EQ using Roon for headphones. It upamples to 64 bit, does the EQ, then downsamples to the max your DAC can handle. My Bifrost 2/64 was working fine with 32bit/44.1kHz input. I checked it on the iFi Zen Stream to make sure Roon wasn't outputting the wrong figure, but that showed 32bit as well.

Aug 11, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #123,483 of 155,078
Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to convert STL files to STEP? Just curious, no intention of milling a solid block of unobtanium or unaffordium to make a raspi case, lol...
You can export your drawing to various formats, depending on what you want to do with the design. So yes, you can convert to many file types.
For 3D there is .STEP, .STL, IGES, .FBX, OBJ, .3MF and many more.
Some formats can hold material information, some are only for interchange, some are proprietary, some have security risks.

Attachments

• IMG_20230811_224019.jpg
    IMG_20230811_224019.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #123,484 of 155,078
Schiit's approach to customer relations and community building is on another level.
I used this forum as an example of a "third space" for 2 sections in a row of marketing students.

I did have to tell them :beyersmile::L3000: to NOT ask me to say the name during class

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #123,485 of 155,078
I'm not sure anyone's suggested it, but one option would be to upload the remote holder model to Shapeways or a similar site, to allow people to just order it from a vendor that does the 3D printing. For people who want to design an assortment of things and tweak them, it makes sense to own a 3D printer, but for people who just want a finished thing now and then, it's nice to be able to just get something printed and have it show up in the mail. If I were going to do that I'd probably take the Schiit logo off it first, as that could get dicey if you're selling them on a storefront.
For me it's just for fun.
The Schiit logo shouldn't be a problem for personal and some friends use.
To distribute the STL, thingiverse would be a good place.
I think serious sales options are only for professional designers, who want to promote their work by drawing attention with some giveaways on such platforms.
I'm an amateur, in it for fun and learning. Not the cheapest hobby, but lots of satisfaction. Lots cheaper than the audio hobby though 😜.

Aug 11, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #123,486 of 155,078
My South African dentist always reckoned that you haven't been insulted until someone insults you in Afrikaans
And no discussion of barbeque would be complete without the inclusion of the South African braai with boerewors (sausage.) Fabulous. Somebody more expert than me needs to enter this into the long-simmering BBQ competition, and shout the praises.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #123,487 of 155,078
Wow. Rough first day with the 3d printer. Got a reel of silk pla with it. Ruined two prints before I realized that its different than pla and slicer settings need to be altered. So far no successful prints with them sticking to the bottom plate like glue. I've played with all temp settings next I guess its z axis compensation. I do have one last print going where I set the bed temp so low that it should not stick, in fact it should come up during printing. We'll see in 30 minutes.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #123,488 of 155,078
A update to my previous post, I thought a transport comparison would be interesting. Long story short, URD is superior on RBCD to the Oppo 205 and Sony SCD-777ES transports. For now, I prefer the AES output of URD over coax SPDIF and it should not make a difference, the AES output sounds more natural and detailed. I can hear a difference between URD Unison and AES outputs on both LIM and OG Yggy's. It's a "flavor" preference depending on what I am listening to, at least for now. The difference between respective DAC's remain; OG is more detailed, LIM is more forgiving of certain CD's, with the addition of URD both DAC's sound more like music. Using the URD USB input from my Lenovo laptop compared to the Unison input on the Yggy, the URD input should sound inferior (more schiit) but does not, it's preferable. I thought I understood digital connectivity, the addition of URD has me rethinking that. Regardless, my RBCD and downloaded digital titles (Bandcamp) sound significantly better. Join the URD collective and have some fun; gooble-gobble, gooble-gobble, one of us, one of us. The URD/LIM Yggy combo go to my office system, Ragnarok is waiting.
One interesting note; I recently purchased the Rhino "deluxe" releases of Little Feat, Sailin Shoes and Dixie Chicken. The URD's would not read the TOC on the second disc of Sailin Shoes, the other transports would. I burned a copy of that disc and URD read/played it with no problem. Can someone 'splain that to me? I purchased a second copy from a different retailer with the same problem. It's the only disc I have encountered that URD would not read, I have used thrift store "drink coasters" that don't have playback issues.

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #123,489 of 155,078
Most of us have disposed of old computer equipment by donation or sale, perhaps we should have held on to some. There is a guy who is making music with computer castaways, his example setup is amazing. Regardless, it's really cool and probably no worries with those pesky copyright lawyers.

https://silent.org.pl/home/2022/06/13/the-floppotron-3-0/

Oh yeah, there is also a Furby organ...

And a Marble machine device that sounds great but would probably willingly take or require a body part.

Yeah, I had nothing better to do with my afternoon (I don't get to do this often) so I'll show myself out now . Back to listening to my Urd-Yggy OG A2 combo. Hope you enjoyed these videos as much as I did.

Be well

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #123,490 of 155,078
I definitely have plans for that, I may have a separate rounded piece that fits into a dado on the top. I considered covering it with copper and then sealing it to cut down on oxidation. Leather or lambskin might work as well. Right now the biggest concern is how to cut all the angles and in what order. Those first two cuts are crucial or the piece at the top would not be parallel to the bottom. Cutting a 52.5 degree angle when your table saw and chop saw stop at 45 degrees took some thought. :beerchug:
Perhaps you should shop somewhere besides Harbor Freight for your tools? 🤣 🤣 🤣

1691799749501.png

Aug 11, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #123,491 of 155,078
For me it's just for fun.
The Schiit logo shouldn't be a problem for personal and some friends use.
To distribute the STL, thingiverse would be a good place.
I think serious sales options are only for professional designers, who want to promote their work by drawing attention with some giveaways on such platforms.
I'm an amateur, in it for fun and learning. Not the cheapest hobby, but lots of satisfaction. Lots cheaper than the audio hobby though 😜.
Sounds like we are in the same boat but I just left the dock.

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #123,492 of 155,078
Perhaps you should shop somewhere besides Harbor Freight for your tools? 🤣 🤣 🤣

That might be an upgrade! I will check it out tomorrow.🤪🤪 I got it figured out but Finnegan helped, he wedged his paw under the wood I was cutting and changed the angle.🙀D340882F-0294-4497-A2F1-821B0935A935.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #123,493 of 155,078
That might be an upgrade! I will check it out tomorrow.🤪🤪 I got it figured out but Finnegan helped, he wedged his paw under the wood I was cutting and changed the angle.🙀D340882F-0294-4497-A2F1-821B0935A935.jpeg
Did it cost one of his nine lives? … 🙀

Aug 11, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #123,494 of 155,078
Aug 11, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #123,495 of 155,078

Users who are viewing this thread

Back