Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 28, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #120,571 of 149,764
Having been in Corp America for many, many years, before I retired, I have a thought for you. I could recognize a failure in upper management immediately when they thought they were smarter, better, than the previous person in the position. They wouldn't be in charge if they weren't! Right? They didn't think about what they didn't know (unlike you). A great leader realizes what they don't know and are humble enough to admit it and surround themselves with those that do know what the leader doesn't

Leo.
I work in a non-management position for a large US-based airline. IMO, every single person in mid-upper management believes they're smarter and better than their predecessors and whoever may be their successors. In fact, regardless of who is in the room, they feel that they're the smartest person in the room. Humility is not part of their modus operandi.
End of rant. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #120,572 of 149,764
The midges can be a problem in the summer, especially around Highland peat bogs and heather, but there are plenty midge-free areas, like the machair dunes on the West Coast of the Uists, or more generally right by the sea shore. We still miss Scotland, not just for the landscapes but also for the people. As foreigners, we never felt as welcomed at first encounter than there. Our son was born in Edinburgh and had the cuttest Scottish accent as a 3-year old when we moved to the US. Going back for a few days in October, some work but I also hope some return to favored places.

Speaking of Scotland and Cap Breton, some years ago I was waiting for a flight connection on the old central hub in SEA, and a Scottish fiddler was going at it with great gusto. When he took a break I went to compliment him. His name is Brandon Vance and he was selling this CD, which I immediately got. He told me that he had just returned from Nova Scotia where he had been learning the local fiddle style with a famous local fiddler (I can't recall the name) and some of the songs he had just played were based on that visit. If you have some recommendations for Nova Scotia fiddling, they'd be very welcome.
Famous local fiddler... Ashley MacIsaac, Buddy MacMaster, Rodney MacDonald... My money's on Buddy. A bit over a decade ago, he was in the hospital at the same time as my dad, and not doing so well. The doctor (who delivered me decades ago) told his family to bring his fiddle to him. He started playing and the whole floor went silent. I still get chills (the good kind) thinking of it.

Did your son retain any of his accent? I agree with feeling welcome from the moment you get there. I had Gaelic instruction for the first 7 years of school, and my mother and grandmother speak/spoke it, as did many neighbours and townfolk. A friend was raised by her rural grandparents and had to learn english before she could attend school. They only spoke Gaelic at home. I remember a bit of it and was able to put it to some use. There are more native Gaelic speakers on CB than in Scotland. We even have a Gaelic college that attracts many Scots each year, and Gaelic speakers are sought after to teach in Scotland.

Edit: Tapadh leat for the link! I'll have a listen to it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #120,573 of 149,764
Famous local fiddler... Ashley MacIsaac, Buddy MacMaster, Rodney MacDonald... My money's on Buddy. A bit over a decade ago, he was in the hospital at the same time as my dad, and not doing so well. The doctor (who delivered me decades ago) told his family to bring his fiddle to him. He started playing and the whole floor went silent. I still get chills (the good kind) thinking of it.
Can't have been MacMaster, who passed away in 2014, I heard Vance in 2017 or 2018 and he was just back from his Nova Scotia trip. Thanks to you and Qobuz, listening to MacMaster now, wonderful.
Did your son retain any of his accent? I agree with feeling welcome from the moment you get there. I had Gaelic instruction for the first 7 years of school, and my mother and grandmother speak/spoke it, as did many neighbours and townfolk. A friend was raised by her rural grandparents and had to learn english before she could attend school. They only spoke Gaelic at home. I remember a bit of it and was able to put it to some use. There are more native Gaelic speakers on CB than in Scotland. We even have a Gaelic college that attracts many Scots each year, and Gaelic speakers are sought after to teach in Scotland.

Edit: Tapadh leat for the link! I'll have a listen to it.
Daniel does not have the accent normally, but he can bring it back a bit. We lived in Edinburgh where Gaelic wasn't common, many of the locals we interacted with where from the Lowlands. We did several summer vacations on the West Coast, and there we encountered some Gaelic speakers, although they'd speak Scots English to us. I can't forget the time we drove with friends who also had a toddler to a house we had rented for the week in the Gairloch area (a really beautiful place). The kids were in the backseat, and they got very car-sick on the twisty roads there, so we had to wash their clothes on Saturday evening. We put the clothes to dry on the line outside, but next morning (Sunday) the landlady came by and said in the sweetest possible way, looking at the clothes on the line something like "It's not me, but people speak..." indicating thus that washing clothes was not proper for the Lord's Day.

Jun 28, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #120,575 of 149,764
Well, as with most things it's adapt or die. I really do enjoy my job and most was tounge-i-cheek with a bit of truth, but I gotta say that it can be quite challenging at times with some of the challenges fun and some not so much. I'm doing well at the non-IT Education stuff they say, but I do hold myself to a high standard and not knowing what I don't know is not something I cannot easily accept. I like to being proactive and while I do well in reactive mode it can be quite draining and result in sleepless nights. But honestly, l have a great team and as the song says... it's getting better all the time. 😀
Just so you know, you don't know much of anything. Hopefully you can get a good night's sleep now. 🤣 🤣

Jun 28, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #120,576 of 149,764
Just so you know, you don't know much of anything. Hopefully you can get a good night's sleep now. 🤣 🤣
… if you know how … 🐑🐑🐑 ☁️☁️☁️😅

Jun 28, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #120,577 of 149,764
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Simple Man....... Lynyrd Skynyrd

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #120,579 of 149,764
So, Chevrolet decided to cease production of the Camaro after the upcoming model year.

But it's not all bad news; they also say that "this is not the end of Camaro's story."

…which probably means that it'll be back as an electric crossover.
Ewwwwww...I am a fan of American Muscle Cars and an electric Camaro does not make me want one. Those that do? Fine.

My brother has a Challenger Shaker. In orange. So cool.

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #120,580 of 149,764
The Rekkr has arrived, and I’ve given it a test run just to check it’s working, as the man-cave is nowhere near finished. Using Modi, Magni and Wiim Mini it sounds great into the Tannoy speakers. There’s no lack of power for these speakers in a small room. Ultimately I’ll only be sitting 3 or 4 feet away from the speakers, so it’ll be fine.
The plan is to run turntable, Mani, and a dac into a SYS I have knocking around, then run that into either Magni or the Vali ++, which will control the Rekkr.

Jun 29, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #120,581 of 149,764
Can't have been MacMaster, who passed away in 2014, I heard Vance in 2017 or 2018 and he was just back from his Nova Scotia trip. Thanks to you and Qobuz, listening to MacMaster now, wonderful.

Daniel does not have the accent normally, but he can bring it back a bit. We lived in Edinburgh where Gaelic wasn't common, many of the locals we interacted with where from the Lowlands. We did several summer vacations on the West Coast, and there we encountered some Gaelic speakers, although they'd speak Scots English to us. I can't forget the time we drove with friends who also had a toddler to a house we had rented for the week in the Gairloch area (a really beautiful place). The kids were in the backseat, and they got very car-sick on the twisty roads there, so we had to wash their clothes on Saturday evening. We put the clothes to dry on the line outside, but next morning (Sunday) the landlady came by and said in the sweetest possible way, looking at the clothes on the line something like "It's not me, but people speak..." indicating thus that washing clothes was not proper for the Lord's Day.
Ah. I wasn't sure of the time frame. Yeah, Buddy passed not long before my dad. Glad you're enjoying his masterful fiddling. The Gaelic speakers we encountered were in western Scotland as well. Lovely, lovely landscapes. Cape Breton used to be the same way in regard to Sundays (though the harness racing track in Inverness held their races religiously every Sunday...) until the province opened up to Sunday shopping 25 years ago or so.

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #120,582 of 149,764
Oh gawd you have no idea...

...just remember, the ultimate question is whether the wine goes down your neck...or down the sink.

As long as you stick to what you like and don't buy for label or price, you'll be fine. If you have a local retailer that does winetasting events, especially educational ones, that's a fantastic place to start.
This reminds me exactly why I choose Schiit in the first place. I don't buy audio gears based on brands or price.

Jun 29, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #120,584 of 149,764
I work in a non-management position for a large US-based airline. IMO, every single person in mid-upper management believes they're smarter and better than their predecessors and whoever may be their successors. In fact, regardless of who is in the room, they feel that they're the smartest person in the room. Humility is not part of their modus operandi.
End of rant. :wink:

It's easy to recognize those jackass managers at work - they're the ones who arrive in a new position and start changing everything before they even understand how things are currently working. IMO, a boss who doesn't spend a few months observing before making major decisions is a boss who doesn't deserve his position.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #120,585 of 149,764
It's easy to recognize those jackass managers at work - they're the ones who arrive in a new position and start changing everything before they even understand how things are currently working. IMO, a boss who doesn't spend a few months observing before making major decisions is a boss who doesn't deserve his position.
That is the dividing line between a boss and a leader. I've worked for both and strive to be the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back