Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2023 at 5:41 PM Post #118,951 of 150,363
Experience suggests otherwise. At the NC meetup we had a hell of a job with lightning to USB cables. The only safe bet we found was the converter set supplied by Schiit. @Cliffh93 may be able to add more light.......
Yes we were in cable hell for a few hours that day. Schiit had sent older iPad Mini’s with Lightning connectors, but the supplied cables were Lightning to USB A. Odd, I thought but no worries as I had numerous Lightning to C cables , though I had never used them for data. Well, we discovered (and our College Students immediately confirmed) that Lightning to C is for power charging only.
Schiit knew this too and had ordered USB A to C adapters to use with the cables that they sent. The trouble is those adapters did not arrive until the Monday after the event.

May 24, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #118,955 of 150,363
Yes we were in cable hell for a few hours that day. Schiit had sent older iPad Mini’s with Lightning connectors, but the supplied cables were Lightning to USB A. Odd, I thought but no worries as I had numerous Lightning to C cables , though I had never used them for data. Well, we discovered (and our College Students immediately confirmed) that Lightning to C is for power charging only.
Schiit knew this too and had ordered USB A to C adapters to use with the cables that they sent. The trouble is those adapters did not arrive until the Monday after the event.
Yes, do not use non-MFI lightning cables. They are usually just for charging. The OP asked about USB cables from Apple adapter to USB DAC.

May 24, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #118,956 of 150,363
May 24, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #118,957 of 150,363
Yes, do not use non-MFI lightning cables. They are usually just for charging. The OP asked about USB cables from Apple adapter to USB DAC.
@GreyOldMan I have a Modius E along with a few other Schiit DACs. My source is a new iPad using the Thunderbolt (USB-C) connector and have not seen a cable that hasn’t worked with it. Not sure I have tried one 3m long but don’t think it will be an issue.

May 24, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #118,959 of 150,363
Experience suggests otherwise. At the NC meetup we had a hell of a job with lightning to USB cables. The only safe bet we found was the converter set supplied by Schiit. @Cliffh93 may be able to add more light.......
A few years back @Jason Stoddard mentioned something called "Plugfest" or maybe "HDMI Plugfest".

I did a quick g-search and apparently Plugfest is an informal device-to-device interoperability test and the results aren't always positive.

I fully understand why Schiit has shied away from HDMI ARC, E-ARC etc. as compatibility can be something of a Shiit-show.

I would think that testing of various types of cables, especially those advertising anything with "xxx to xxx", would yield interesting results.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #118,960 of 150,363
Ha!
I was the remote control when I was growing up. For both my parents and my sisters. :smile:
LOL! We had a Heathkit TV back in the late '60's with a wired remote. Had a 13 channel, rotary selector that was motorized, and the remote would fire up the motor to turn it. No remote volume or anything, only the ability to change channels. Was more reliable than my younger sister though.... 🤣

May 24, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #118,961 of 150,363
When it says in the Urd FAQ section that it is “slow,” what does that mean exactly? Does it take a while to get a cd started or is the disc tray just a little slow?
The statement is directed at people who haven't operated a CD player or transport in a while, which doesn't have responsiveness like a modern digital player or even online streaming.

May 24, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #118,962 of 150,363
Stopping by to toss out quick kudos to Jason Stoddard for the Gjallarhorn amps. Beautiful, authoritative sound and amazingly powerful. Highly recommended.

May 24, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #118,963 of 150,363
She started life in a segregated hospital in Tennessee and ended it in a mansion in Switzerland. Good for her.
Great talent. Just listened to Simply The Best cd two nights ago. If her stage play is still on anywhere, its a really good show. We saw it in London last spring.

Just a great success story.

May 24, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #118,964 of 150,363
The statement is directed at people who haven't operated a CD player or transport in a while, which doesn't have responsiveness like a modern digital player or even online streaming.
Thanks for clarifying! I thought as much but I feel like my transport is more time efficient than streaming but ymmv.

May 24, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #118,965 of 150,363
A $600 Freya with tubes is the best deal in audio right now, and there are a lot of good deals out there currently.

Agree though, in hindsight they could have simply reduced the price and left them on the main page until they were gone. I've said it before, it is very hard for someone to check out specs, etc. on the closeout models when they are yanked from the current pages. I think it makes them ironically harder to sell.
For me it is only a good deal if I have a true need for it or, at the least, a strong want that will create that need. So far many people do. I am not one of them but I am happy for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back