Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 24, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #118,936 of 152,221
1684957311900.png

May 24, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #118,938 of 152,221
Shifting gears a bit - listening to a range of Samantha Fish today and noticed something I'd love some comments on. I'm listening to CD rips to FLAC on my big office setup. First up is 'Black Wind Howlin'' off of the same-named CD. I'm probably not using the correct terminology, but to me, the soundstage sounds very small. I'm not talking about all the guitar distortion, but the overall soundstage. The drums really seem to bring it out. Next up is 'Chills & Fever' off of the same-named CD. This track sounds so much more open to me. My main question is what can cause these to sound so differently? Could it be that the microphones used for all of the instruments were placed very differently in the recording sessions? Could it be something that was done during the mixing/mastering?

I hear this all the time in supposed "classic" recordings that are supposed to be so wonderful. To me, they're mediocre at best. I'm talking strictly about the sounds I am hearing. Not the words in the song. Not the "music" either. Just the sound. I admit I'm a big fan of the sound of 80's music (not all by any stretch) but it seems "brighter" than a lot of stuff I hear this century because that's what I grew up listening to, first on the radio, then on CDs in college. And, I like this type of sound. I've messed around with EQ'ing a bit with Lokius at home, but it just doesn't sound "right".

My rips are identical to the CD source, namely 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. so there should be no encoding differences. I can hear the same differences in the tracks on Qobuz, so if those who have access can give them a listen and comment, I would really love to be educated on this. Thanks!

May 24, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #118,939 of 152,221
Also every so often I'll forget to turn the subwoofer off and wind up listening to headphones and wondering why the bass is so much more palpable all of sudden ...
Did this the other day. I was wondering why my headphones sounded like ass...way too bassy. But I put my feet on the wood floor, and that's when I realized the sub was on!

May 24, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #118,940 of 152,221
Shifting gears a bit - listening to a range of Samantha Fish today and noticed something I'd love some comments on. I'm listening to CD rips to FLAC on my big office setup. First up is 'Black Wind Howlin'' off of the same-named CD. I'm probably not using the correct terminology, but to me, the soundstage sounds very small. I'm not talking about all the guitar distortion, but the overall soundstage. The drums really seem to bring it out. Next up is 'Chills & Fever' off of the same-named CD. This track sounds so much more open to me. My main question is what can cause these to sound so differently? Could it be that the microphones used for all of the instruments were placed very differently in the recording sessions? Could it be something that was done during the mixing/mastering?

I hear this all the time in supposed "classic" recordings that are supposed to be so wonderful. To me, they're mediocre at best. I'm talking strictly about the sounds I am hearing. Not the words in the song. Not the "music" either. Just the sound. I admit I'm a big fan of the sound of 80's music (not all by any stretch) but it seems "brighter" than a lot of stuff I hear this century because that's what I grew up listening to, first on the radio, then on CDs in college. And, I like this type of sound. I've messed around with EQ'ing a bit with Lokius at home, but it just doesn't sound "right".

My rips are identical to the CD source, namely 16-bit, 44.1 kHz. so there should be no encoding differences. I can hear the same differences in the tracks on Qobuz, so if those who have access can give them a listen and comment, I would really love to be educated on this. Thanks!
I can't help you with your question, but I do love Samantha Fish.

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #118,941 of 152,221

You are talking about decisions made during the recording process that nothing you nor any other playback system can do anything about. It's part of the recording. Don't worry about it and enjoy the music. :)

May 24, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #118,942 of 152,221
Love your manuals, @Jason Stoddard! Probably the only manuals I'll ever read. Other than the polesaw one - chainsaw dangling 8 feet away on a stick I'm holding...

Especially enjoy this part:
urd-common-schiit-sense.jpg

It only works when it's on?! Outrageous! Think of the unthinking! 🤣
I’d make those two align, and replace “It” with “Urd”. English major thinking aloud. “It” could refer to the switch itself. But that’s me…

May 24, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #118,944 of 152,221
New topic (I think) for the sine wave.

Now that I have my schiit kit, I want to feed my Modius E from my iPad.
Using a standard cable works fine with the iPad->Apple Camera Adaptor->USB-A-cable-USB-C->Modius.
The problem is that the longest known working cable I can find that says it works with Apple kit is 2m/6ft and I'd like 3-4m/9-12ft.
If I can get a longer cable then I can route it out of sight under the furniture and also keep it away from mains/other cables, and I don't have to get up to select or search for the next track on the iPad.

There's any number of vendors on Mr. Bezos's site, but the long cables don't mention Apple in the "works with..." section.
Does anyone have a long, known working cable connecting their iPad/iPhone and the USB-C on Modius / other Schiit device that they can recommend?

There is no special "Apple" USB cable. Just get one from a reputable brand that looks pleasant to you. No need for cable nervosa - disregard anyone trying to peddle exotic cables, especially for digital data. If it matches the spec, it will work.

May 24, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #118,945 of 152,221
You are talking about decisions made during the recording process that nothing you nor any other playback system can do anything about. It's part of the recording. Don't worry about it and enjoy the music. :)

I'm old enough to have listened to records with very poor soundstage. I think they were called monophonic.😉

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #118,947 of 152,221
RIP Tina.😥

May 24, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #118,948 of 152,221
There is no special "Apple" USB cable. Just get one from a reputable brand that looks pleasant to you. No need for cable nervosa - disregard anyone trying to peddle exotic cables, especially for digital data. If it matches the spec, it will work.
Experience suggests otherwise. At the NC meetup we had a hell of a job with lightning to USB cables. The only safe bet we found was the converter set supplied by Schiit. @Cliffh93 may be able to add more light.......

May 24, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #118,949 of 152,221
Ok, so an update on the NC Triangle meetup. (you are signed up here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/res...l-nc-fall-schiit-meetup.967927/#post-17531144 aren't you? If not please indicate your interest there).

We have a perfect venue on the edge of UNC campus available 9/16/23 September BUT there are UNC football games on those dates and they don't announce the time of the game until a week or so before. If it's an evening game, we would be OK but not at other times. So it seems to me we need to look at other venues.

I'm looking for input in the Triangle area. We have a suggestion for the Sheraton, but I'd like more options. It looks like dates will have to be 9th or 16th as I had missed the fact that Ms Jody's rather special - one of those big zero birthdays - rock and roll birthday party is on the 23rd.

So I need volunteers to help and ideas on location.

Please head over to the thread and add you support and thoughts.

May 24, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #118,950 of 152,221
Experience suggests otherwise. At the NC meetup we had a hell of a job with lightning to USB cables. The only safe bet we found was the converter set supplied by Schiit. @Cliffh93 may be able to add more light.......
The question was about the USB cable part in the chain iPad -> Apple lightning/USB "camera kit" -> USB cable -> DAC.
Are you claiming to need some special bespoke audio USB cable there?

ETA: and if Schiit requires some special cable, they should state so in the docs. Since they tend to do the right thing, and don't, please give examples of cables conforming to USB 2 audio spec that do NOT work with it. Using a non-MFI (not Apple certified) direct Lightning-to-USB cable can be suspect, but going through the Apple adapter should be fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back